Jacbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[RUN]
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:39 AM

Haven't been able to get on much since Monday, one thing after another. But a hearty congrats to CD if it turns out they come back and win this week. I'm sure they deserved it (though I wouldn't know for what reason, having not been here :P). Closer ratings just means more weeks in this matchup, and I've been enjoying it thus far, so that's fine by me.

#32 Trei

Trei

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2909 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

View PostJacbo, on 02 January 2013 - 07:07 AM, said:

I wish a sociologist could get a hold of the communiques of all three servers in a WvW match to analyze the trends of complaint. I think the results would be quite hilarious.

The term zerg is funny to me, it's thrown around so haphazardly. Apparently to this tier, any 20+ people constitutes a zerg. In Tier 2, it was 40+ people. In Tier 1, it was more still. I wonder if Ferguson's Crossing considers 6 people to be a zerg? I guess 2 people can be a zerg. After all they could be zerging 1 guy, and that's 2:1 odds, so it's mathematically no different than 80v40.

To me, a "zerg" is any large, unruly group of players. I lead some zergs, in the loosest sense of the word lead, whenever my guild and others aren't raiding and I take it upon myself to organize. Here's some characteristics of a zerg:
  • A zerg doesn't listen even if you spam chat with explicit instructions. Some zerglings may even berate a commander for presuming to "tell them what to do".
  • A zerg doesn't understand the mechanics of a fight, it only understands individual preservation. If a zergling is found within max pew range, it either wasn't paying attention or got pulled there.
  • A zerg won't stop forward momentum and has to be turned in gradual degrees; if you do an about face, it doesn't matter if you have 7 commander icons, you'll be twiddling your thumbs with a couple people while the rest charge on to the nearest capturable objective.
  • A zerg never does anything remotely inventive, and most times will PvDoor for a little while before some enterprising zergling decides to throw a ram down under the oil.
Those are just a few characteristics of a zerg....
Which is ironic considering the original Zerg were the most organized, single minded force in the starcraft universe.

#33 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

spent about 3 hours in EB last night finishing up the monthly, a lot of good fights in EB.  SMC swapped like or 4 times while I was in there. Definitely one of my favorite WvW experiences so far.

#34 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

View PostTrei, on 04 January 2013 - 06:15 AM, said:

Which is ironic considering the original Zerg were the most organized, single minded force in the starcraft universe.

we should start calling gw2 zergs bleating lambs instead

Edited by lmaonade, 06 January 2013 - 01:53 AM.

#35 Pyraeus

Pyraeus

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

Posted Image

This ain't teaming up? Open your eyes FA & IoJ.
We would rather have yaks or dragonbrand instead of this.

btw, CD blue, IoJ green FA red.
How about we seem some colour changes in Red BL and Green BL?

Edited by Pyraeus, 07 January 2013 - 01:00 PM.

#36 Junglizm

Junglizm

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FURY]

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

point leader = double teamed.

Two fold advantage, you steal his points, giving 2nd and 3rd a better shot at 1st.

1st place gets demoralized from constant two front battles.

Also a side effect of FA having a really hard time attacking but when it comes do defense in Red BL, they are fierce.

Seriously, you FA guys are like a whole other server on your own BL.  If you attacked with that much zeal, you might actually take first.

Took me 20 minutes to get past roaming patrols on the southern part of an almost totally Red FA BL.

You would never see that big of a zerg effort defending a totally green IOJ BL.  Our attention span is too short.

Edited by Junglizm, 07 January 2013 - 02:48 PM.

#37 Keeper of Precepts

Keeper of Precepts

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Along the lines of what Junglizm said, but about his own server, Janthir doesn't play games on their Borderlands.  One night it was totally green, so we trigger our breakout event to take the tower closest to our spawn (I'm not good with names, sue me), and we managed to take it, and were defending it well... Until we see Trebuchet fire coming from a hill nearest the supply camp close to it.  It's like "what is this", we didn't know your tower was so precious to you guys :(

#38 Jacbo

Jacbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:51 PM

View PostPyraeus, on 07 January 2013 - 12:58 PM, said:

This ain't teaming up? Open your eyes FA & IoJ.
We would rather have yaks or dragonbrand instead of this.

Ah, you must be new here. Welcome to WvW, the game mode designed with 3 servers for a reason.

#39 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostJacbo, on 07 January 2013 - 09:51 PM, said:

Ah, you must be new here. Welcome to WvW, the game mode designed with 3 servers for a reason.

the EB 2 front was fine, because we owned most of it at the time, so 2 front warring would've been expected, but our BD lol really, you guys didn't even touch each others.

3 way battles only work if there are actually 3 sides

#40 Elnino

Elnino

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

CD is in first place. Attacking the first place server means all three servers will have an equal chance at being first which makes the match more balanced and fun for all.

If the 3rd place server attacks the 2nd place server, they are only ensuring their spot at the bottom and ensuring the 2nd place server stays 2nd and allowing the 1st place server to gather a huge point lead. Perfect example? All the TC vs FA vs YB matches. Playing for 2nd did nothing for YB, they still got 3rd and ended up dropping a tier because of it.

#41 BnJ

BnJ

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MARK]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:32 AM

View Postlmaonade, on 08 January 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

the EB 2 front was fine, because we owned most of it at the time, so 2 front warring would've been expected, but our BD lol really, you guys didn't even touch each others.

LOL really?

Last I checked you guys were leading, you should expect to be focused.

#42 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:36 AM

View PostShroomhead Fred, on 08 January 2013 - 12:32 AM, said:

LOL really?

Last I checked you guys were leading, you should expect to be focused.

No, i expected you guys to do whatever is necessary to gather potential points to take the lead, but you don't touch each other's borderlands so that might not be the case I guess

#43 BnJ

BnJ

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[MARK]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

But we are doing what is necessary...

How else are we going to bridge the margin if not by taking your points?  Sure we could attack each other (and do I might add), but cutting your lead seems like the best and simplest option to me.

#44 Trei

Trei

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2909 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

View Postlmaonade, on 08 January 2013 - 12:07 AM, said:

I think you missed the point...

We would have done the same thing if we weren't in the lead.

#45 matsif

matsif

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:26 AM

View Postlmaonade, on 08 January 2013 - 04:36 AM, said:

No, i expected you guys to do whatever is necessary to gather potential points to take the lead, but you don't touch each other's borderlands so that might not be the case I guess

and if IoJ was in the lead I can just about guarantee CD and FA borderlands would be untouched while IoJ's borderland look like CD's right now.  Just how it works.

#46 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

View Postmatsif, on 08 January 2013 - 07:26 AM, said:

and if IoJ was in the lead I can just about guarantee CD and FA borderlands would be untouched while IoJ's borderland look like CD's right now.  Just how it works.

maybe it's just me missing the idea of winning, but I would attack anything that's free given enough manpower O_o

View PostShroomhead Fred, on 08 January 2013 - 04:58 AM, said:

But we are doing what is necessary...

How else are we going to bridge the margin if not by taking your points?  Sure we could attack each other (and do I might add), but cutting your lead seems like the best and simplest option to me.

I'm mostly talking about what do after you've filled up those maps, a breakout event in another borderland could net another tower and camp, I'm guessing that IoJ and FA don't want to provoke each other, which is justifiable, but as it stands people hardly care about what's going on in other maps

Edited by lmaonade, 08 January 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#47 Jacbo

Jacbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

View Postlmaonade, on 08 January 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

I'm mostly talking about what do after you've filled up those maps, a breakout event in another borderland could net another tower and camp, I'm guessing that IoJ and FA don't want to provoke each other, which is justifiable, but as it stands people hardly care about what's going on in other maps

People care very much about what happens in other maps. Whenever a keep on FA Borderlands is attacked, they have been fairly consistent in porting in large groups that weren't previously on the map to defend it. This hasn't necessarily deterred us from fighting, but it's an expected variable when deciding to attack their keeps.

Similarly, last night during Oceanic time, CD pulled people from every map in order to defend a fully upgraded Stonemist (which ND breached with 10 golems). How could we tell? The people weren't there before the Lord's Room fight, and the resistance reported by those on both IoJ and CD BL around the time of the SM fight next to disappeared.

I think each server pays more attention to other maps than you give them credit.

Edited by Jacbo, 08 January 2013 - 11:57 PM.

#48 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1121 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostJacbo, on 08 January 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

People care very much about what happens in other maps. Whenever a keep on FA Borderlands is attacked, they have been fairly consistent in porting in large groups that weren't previously on the map to defend it. This hasn't necessarily deterred us from fighting, but it's an expected variable when deciding to attack their keeps.

Similarly, last night during Oceanic time, CD pulled people from every map in order to defend a fully upgraded Stonemist (which ND breached with 10 golems). How could we tell? The people weren't there before the Lord's Room fight, and the resistance reported by those on both IoJ and CD BL around the time of the SM fight next to disappeared.

I think each server pays more attention to other maps than you give them credit.

probably time difference, I like the Oceanic crews more, and it seems like all 3 servers have good Oceanic players, but in US primetime a lot of the time it's just "oh a BD's being attacked? Meh."

#49 Pyraeus

Pyraeus

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

Score update. Hopefully crystal desert can take both on.
Good work to CD flipping FA overlook and using Omegas on hills!

Posted Image

EDIT: Gets better!

Posted Image

Edited by Pyraeus, 09 January 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#50 Jacbo

Jacbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

CD definitely owes a great debt to its (PST?) guilds, such as KH. The zone they occupy between NA and Oceanic primetime has probably accounted for most, if not all, of the 10k point difference right now. (To be clear, not saying NA/Oceanic don't also fight well, but the score would likely be even if you took out the interim points, such as the +475 ticks above)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users