• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Graphics Card Keeps crashing in GW2 and won't Stabalize!

crash radeon hd 6970 glitches overclocking? underclocking? stabalizing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Krimsin

Krimsin

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Hey all, I know there's prolly another post like this one, but I thought starting a new post would be slightly faster at getting a response.

Whenever I start GW2, i see gliching in the background, almost like the games being cut with scissors and then they get replaced right away.  after a approx. 15 seconds, the game crashes stating that the graphics card has recovered from a crash.  Every so often when this happens, GW2 returns with a black screen and a popup on my desktop for GW2 states that there is was a severe graphics error and is forced to close.

for anyone who is curious as to my computer specs, here you are:

HD radeon 6970 graphics card
Thermal Take 1000watt PSU
hex core CPU (AMD Phenom x6 Thuban)
Liquid cooling CPU heat-sink
Cooler Master HAF 930 Tower
and its all for a Crosshair IV Formula MoBo

If anyone wants to know anything more, lemme know and any help anyone can offer me will be MUCH appreciated!!!!

Later.

#2 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

OK, first off, have you applied any recent HW changes to the system?
Try to repair GW2 installation. Add the -repair parameter to the shortcuts target. (howto here: http://wiki.guildwar...ki/Command_line)
Should look like this (although path to Gw2.exe may differ):
Target: "C:\Program Files\Guild Wars 2\Gw2.exe" -repair

Have you tried purging/reinstalling GPU driver? (of no: try it :) )

Any OCs? Disable them if so.

If all else fails:
Download HWMonitor, run it, make sure all fields are well visible, take a screenshot of the window and post the window here. (gives us info on temperatures and lots of other useful info)
Download GPU-Z, run it, take a screenshot of the window and post here. (gives us even more detailed info on your GPU)

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3244 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:13 PM

Check that all of your drivers are up to date. Even if it's your video driver that crashes, it could be due to conflicts with another driver.

Also, make sure you don't have any incorrect settings in the BIOS. The easiest way to do that would be to reset the BIOS (check the motherboard manual). Remove any overclocks on the CPU and/or GPU.

Your power supply - although massive overkill - should be OK, but it could be going flaky, or you could have a rail overloaded. Try replacing it with a loner - 550watts is enough.

And, as usual, clean the dust out of the rig and make sure all fans are working.

Edited by Quaker, 23 December 2012 - 04:14 PM.

#4 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ARM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 23 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I would suggest in addition that you check to see if the card is in the proper pcie slot and that it is seated correctly. Which driver set are you using?

#5 Krimsin

Krimsin

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Ok, so i downloaded both programs and here are the screenshots, need to take 2 for the HWMonitor, so here ya go, and after those 2 is the GPU-Z pic....

after all that, i used the repair feature to no avail, also, my OS and Bios are both at basic, out-of-the-box settings, no OC or any tweaking.  my computer was working like a crazy machine until i put GW2 on it.  The simple fact that this game apparently is crashing my GPU is kinda scary considering how much time, effort and money into it.

so if you wonderful people can somehow help me figure out the problem, i would be in so much debt to you cuz I haven't been able to fix it, and i hate that i can't.

Till next time.

the GPU-Z pic didn't upload, here ya go

it would appear as though i am not able to upload the GPU-Z pic... i can however tell you anything you need to in regards to the info your are needing

Attached Files

#6 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 178 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

View PostKrimsin, on 23 December 2012 - 07:45 PM, said:

it would appear as though i am not able to upload the GPU-Z pic... i can however tell you anything you need to in regards to the info your are needing
Upload it here (http://www.imgur.com)and post the link.

Also, what about other games? Same thing or just GW2?

Edited by Mr.Kotte, 23 December 2012 - 08:28 PM.

#7 Krimsin

Krimsin

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 08:29 PM

http://imgur.com/IgySG Hope this works for ya.

any other game i run is perfect, no problems at all, no crashing and i run at max settings for them, (Skyrim, Diablo 3, NevroVision)  only game that this happens for is GW2.

Noticed a tab in the GPU-Z, heres screenshot for that section as well
http://imgur.com/BRX5e

Edited by Krimsin, 23 December 2012 - 08:55 PM.

#8 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

I would uninstall the drivers then clean out remnants using CCleaner and then reinstall the drivers. Make sure all other software is up to date. ie. .net framework, direct x etc. If that doesnt work then I would suggest what Quaker said about getting a loaner PSU.

#9 Krimsin

Krimsin

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 01:36 AM

View PostBaldur The Bold, on 24 December 2012 - 01:20 AM, said:

I would uninstall the drivers then clean out remnants using CCleaner and then reinstall the drivers. Make sure all other software is up to date. ie. .net framework, direct x etc. If that doesnt work then I would suggest what Quaker said about getting a loaner PSU.
I will definatley try cleaning and reinstalling the drivers fully, i have done this, but not with a cleaner... i'll give it a try and let ya know how it goes. As for the PSU, i only upgraded yesterday from a 450watt to my 1000watt... same issues before, i thought it was a PSU issue where the PSU wasn't pushing enough power into the GPU... now i konw its not the problem.

I appreciate all the help you guys been sending my way and i know we can fix this problem.

#10 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 03:42 PM

Another option instead of using CCleaner is to use a driver cleaner. Make sure that if you use a driver cleaner that you don't accidentally delete chipset drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users