This game looks like it plays much faster than WoW, hence my post.
Approximately 50 years old former WoW and Everquest player looking for a class for WvW. Last played WoW 5 years ago and but seem to have aged rather poorly since then. I will play on an RP server. Not interested in SPvP and PvE is secondary.
- Good team player, will learn all one’s abilities and those of other classes
- Will swap builds and gear depending upon event – siege, keep defense, small group.
- Played a lot of WoW battlegrounds and Alterac Valley as a healer (often in premades) and some lower level BG’s as a hunter and shaman.
- Play a lot of turn-based games so complexity is not a problem.
In WoW Priest best fit my play style. AE fear, heals, mind flay, dispels (played a rare tri-spec). I was a decent enough hunter, but nothing special.
- Poor twitch skills.
- Clicker who does not use keyboard well (type with 2 fingers) and in WoW designed a custom interface so I could click on frames for PvP. Might get a Razor Naga mouse, though buttons look kind of small.
- I would have made a terrible WoW PvP rogue with the positional attacks and would not have made a good mage as well.
Preference: No problem playing a support class. Generally prefer to hang back. Don’t care about killing the most enemy.
I did some research.
Ranger: I like the outdoors woodsman/hunter class. Looks fairly straightforward. Good at range. I think I think I could handle pet micromanagement as I played a hunter in WoW, though pets in GW2 seem worse. Ranger weaknesses in WvW (for me) appear to be pets get killed easily and class has limited support value as traps seem kind of meh while spirits get killed by AOE.
Necromancer: Hardy with interesting utilities and area denial abilities. Staff/wells build might fit my place style depending upon how my targeting is. Nobody ever mentions minions in WvW so I assume they die fast.
Guardian: Nice support abilities.Thinking about this class but wondering how I will fare in melee. I would imagine that staff and focus likely have to be discarded in smaller group action or when combat gets close and dirty. Read that it is tough to get loot bags in WvW with a support build though unsure if this is important.
Mesmer: Love the utilities but are clones too much work? Staff and Scepter/Focus offer nice support while GS offers ranged damage.
Thief: I hate rogues as I played an Alliance Priest. I want to kill thieves. No thieves!
Elementalist: Staff for WvW. Too twitchy?
Warrior: Shout Warrior might be OK. Never really interested in the warrior class but could be an option.
Engineer: No desire to toss grenades and get carpal tunnel. Kit swapping seems like my cup of tea.
Happy Holidays to all!