• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

[Playing together and different story experiences] New couple with a question question.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Miatog

Miatog

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:44 AM

Me and my girlfriend are downloading the game right now and while we're going through picking our races and classes, two questions have come up.

The first one is starting. From the sounds of it each race has a different starting zone. If we both pick different races, how easy and quick is it for us to join up together to play? Will we be stuck for a good 10 levels solo before we can pair up? Can we pair up at level 1? Greatly effects our choices obviously.

The other is one to do with my memory. I seem to recall hearing long ago that a selling point of the game was that each character would have a different story experience. Choices you make effect -your- story way down the line, and this has me worried. My worry lies mostly in one of us say having another 5 quests to do in the other end of the zone cause we took 2 different story paths. Is my memory wrong on this? Or do I remember right but have nothing to worry about? Or do we have to coordinate our choices as we quest? If all we get is different text that's fine, I just don't want us to level at different paces or feel like we have to cut one of our story's short.

[Edited the title to better reflect the question. Please use a more descriptive title - Arduin]

Edited by Arduin, 26 December 2012 - 01:46 PM.

#2 fathamburger

fathamburger

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EMP]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Very easy, your starting city will have a portal to Lion's Arch and from there you can portal into any other race's city and thus starting zone.

The real challenge is choosing a quest path that will take you both into the same 15-25 zone after that but hey.. XP can be kinda light during that period if you guys don't do WvW so might as well do each other's 15-25 areas anyway ;)

Story wise dont worry about it, you can be in each other's story quests and it'll be more fun that way. The early 1-30 are supposed to have a lot of branches to take into account different character creation variations and it seemed like Arenanet expected us to group a lot in the early levels with friends and see many different variations only in practice that never happened with the overflow crap at release and it turned out that most players just soloed. Its actually a shame that much of this content is missed by players who'll never see it from rushing and soloing the low levels so.. take your time and follow each other's stories :)

Edited by fathamburger, 26 December 2012 - 09:49 AM.

#3 Miatog

Miatog

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Awesome, so we're free to make whatever and start together.

But, sounds like we do need to coordinate our choices, just means we'll be talking it out and choosing the same options.

Thank you very much for the reply, that could have caused us some confusion.

#4 fathamburger

fathamburger

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EMP]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

No no you really don't lol. What you DO need to coordinate is if you both end up picking the same race, then it's best to coordinate different choices so you have differing story branches. I prefer to do different content but maybe you guys like to progress together in which case you'd pick the same backstory choices.

Anyway the above is moot since it sounds like you're picking different races but I just mentioned it for information's sake

Edited by fathamburger, 26 December 2012 - 09:54 AM.

#5 Miatog

Miatog

Pale Tree Seedling

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:58 AM

possibly, I have it down to 3 races and I'm not sure what her choices are looking like.

also, I see you made an edit after I typed up my post lol. Sounds kinda like how you can help each other out in Star Wars?

#6 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Also it's worth mentioning that even if you do pick different races and have different storyline quests for the first part of the game (the story lines begin to merge later on) you can still do them together. Your girlfriend can tag along for your personal story and you can tag along for hers. Which is actually a really cool way of doing it because it means you both get to experience twice the amount of content that most players get to with one character.

#7 Illein

Illein

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2037 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

View PostMiatog, on 26 December 2012 - 09:58 AM, said:

possibly, I have it down to 3 races and I'm not sure what her choices are looking like.

also, I see you made an edit after I typed up my post lol. Sounds kinda like how you can help each other out in Star Wars?

Pretty much the same system in Guild Wars 2 when it comes to helping each other in ones personal story line. :)

#8 Sheepski

Sheepski

Seraph Guardian

• Moderators
  • 1240 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 26 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Maybe this was covered in the Star Wars comment; never played it but:

From my experience, even if you chose the exact same storyline (or in later levels had to do the same mission) then you'd have to do it twice anyway, as progress only counts for the instance leader (whichever one enters the story instance).

So you might as well choose different options so as to have 2 different stories to follow, for the most part, rather than repeating all the same missions.

(Not sure if they've changed it more recently but when I was running through my story I'd have to do a mission twice if I wanted to help friends as well.)

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!

#9 Meow Ren

Meow Ren

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 60 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BHG]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 26 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostSheepski, on 26 December 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Maybe this was covered in the Star Wars comment; never played it but:

From my experience, even if you chose the exact same storyline (or in later levels had to do the same mission) then you'd have to do it twice anyway, as progress only counts for the instance leader (whichever one enters the story instance).

So you might as well choose different options so as to have 2 different stories to follow, for the most part, rather than repeating all the same missions.

(Not sure if they've changed it more recently but when I was running through my story I'd have to do a mission twice if I wanted to help friends as well.)

I think it depends on the storyline quest (usually).  If on the same storyline quest as a party member, when there isn't one of those "should we do this or that?" choices to be made at the end, a window should pop up asking you if you wish to accept the same outcome (?) of the quest as the party leader.  If you accept, you advance to the next leg.  If not then your character will need to repeat it.  I say "usually" because there have been a couple times a guildie and I have been on the same storyline quest, finished, and I or they would still have to repeat it.  Could be some factor I wasn't aware of though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users