• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom_Briarfell

Tom_Briarfell

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 05:36 PM

So I thought I'd create a post about possible new races that could be added to the game because I have this OCD desire to create a character of different race for each profession.
I figured this would be a good place to discuss creative Ideas for new races, what you hope for, what you think is a great Idea, what you think is a rubbish Idea, and what nuggets of news/clues are out there in regards to future races.

I don't want to repeat any races and I don't want to repeat professions. The problem with that is that I want to play new professions (Thief, Necro & Mesmer) but don't want to put a lot of effort into progressing with a race that ultimately I will replace when a new one is released. It's frustrating... more races asap please Anet! :D

I apologise if there is already a post about this, I wouldn't be surprised as I'm sure loads of people are eagerly awaiting new additions of races, however I couldn't find anything of this precise topic through the forum search. If there is another, please let me know and I don't mind this thread being scrapped.

So some of my thoughts:

- Really I only have one significant desire I would like to see.... Tengu. Since Guild Wars I have admired them as a race and seen them like a little boy sees an epic transformer toy - with awe an excitement. I love how they draw from the Asian influence of Martial Arts and Ancient Samurai values of honour, I love that culture as it is. I would love to make a Tengu Thief, though the profession name doesn't scream "Code of Honour!" it does however lend itself to the graceful, swift, sleek and incredibly skill full Chinese Ninja, and I imagine the combination of Sword & Dagger facilitating for the inclusion of new weapons such as a deadly Katana & a Tanto blade. *drool*

- A less thought through idea for me, but many people have discussed the inclusion of the Largos as a playable race. I love the concept of playing a Largos Mesmer, utilising their butterfly-like wings to cast distracting illusionary images with their swift movements.

- I can't think of any new races that seem to fit my desire for a Necromancer yet, but I imagine a playable Kodan might be interesting with their tribal war paint and deeply abstract philosophy on life, death, Identity and meaning. However I can't escape the feeling that they would just be to close to the Norn race to be worthy of their own playability.

Who knows?
What are your thoughts people?

#2 Arquenya

Arquenya

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1204 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I think we already have too many races, so I wouldn't agree on spending devs time on that.
In the end by far the most people play pretty humanoids anyway.

#3 vinegaria

vinegaria

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DVDF]

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostArquenya, on 16 January 2013 - 11:31 AM, said:

I think we already have too many races, so I wouldn't agree on spending devs time on that.
In the end by far the most people play pretty humanoids anyway.

That, and also - there are already so many problems and glitches with armors for races other than humans. Even sylvari and norn have different base models and they glitch where humans don't, even though the armors could look basically the same on them (unlike Charr). Add another race - add more problems.

What I'd love to see though is more variety in faces and hairstyles for all races. They need it very much.

Also if they'd add more races that could mean no more racial armors (even style wise, not race bound) and personally I'd love to see some more variations on norn, sylvari and asuran cultures.

Edited by vinegaria, 16 January 2013 - 11:53 AM.

#4 ZCKS

ZCKS

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1428 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TG]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

IDK new races could be fun, but they would half to make sure the clipping issues.

Frankly though I think new traits, utility skills & weapon types would be a more prudent option.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: race, new, creation, expansion, largos, tengu, kodan, dlc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users