0/0/30/10/30 take my build for what its worth. yes I know it means my pet is hardier already, but the tactics still do not change. Most of the issues I see running around the world is that rangers are not using the controls and traits they’ve been given to work WITH their pets.
Things I’ve garnished on my journey to 80.
The more you pay attention to pet the better and more fun it gets.
Tricks I’ve gained:
1) Oh no pet is attacking head on when it doesn’t hold agg, call it back, flank enemy, send it back in, now its no longer in the cone of bam, simple right?
2) Oh no pet is getting eaten by AoE. There is a nifty trait 15 into Wilderness Survival, protection on dodge roll, this is meant more for your pet, it will take reduced damage from said AoE use dodge rolls for both you and pet, you are already getting stamina (whatever the bloody stat is called) faster from trait line, and you can also trait for vigor on heals (healing spring ftw).
-recalling can work, but most AoEs have insanely short cast times and the pet will often not make it out. Easier still is to swap pets if you are clear of the AoE, wow now it missed completely, nice safety if you are unable to dodge at the time.
3) Pet dying all the time, 15 second swaps from 15 BM is more than enough to swap the pet often to not get taken out
4) pet dying all the time, Use heals for both you and the pet, use it when EITHER of you are getting low. The nice thing about ranger is that enemies have to split their focus, they can only attack one at a time. I have rarely been caught with my pants down because I used a heal for my pet. (Healing spring is quite nice because of lingering effects)
5) pet getting smacked by retaliation or confusion, call it back, once effects are clear, send it back in, again simple.
6) too annoying to manage your pets, keys to far to bother constantly pressing? I’ve actually rebound all my keys, my utilities are now f1-3 elite R and heal E and my pet controls are zxcv. I can control my pets on the dime and the controls are quite responsive (barring the f2), utilities are all minute or more cooldowns so they get used much less making them more efficiant up at f1-3.
7) For love’s sake stop complaining about the intelligence of the pets AI. By in large the pets intelligence is controlled by the rangers intelligence. If the pet is dying all the time then it is because the ranger is letting it. The pet is not a fire and forget weapon, as a ranger you are controlling two characters. its no different then listening to a chump GC complaining constantly they need rezzes because they were too stupid to get out of the way.
8) pack the pets you need. I primarily run wolves because they are good, solid all rounders. there are instances when ranged pets are more beneficial like world bosses, melee chewing dungeon bosses platform instances where pet literally can’t get in melee range. Zerg fighting WvW, passive Moas for the win (zerg is more about survival and helping your zerg outlast the enemy zerg, swap to buff utilities, its not like you are going to do much damage anyways, still get rewarded kills for your tiny bow pricks).
clarifications: I will admit i have no experience with higher end fractals, small guild hard to get people to take you when they are 50 lvls higher than you are in fractals. Don’t know how agony works, I just know pets get chewed there based on forums. Anyone have any advice for that? (I am fairly certain though devs are working on fixing this).
Any other tips that pro pet rangers have for maximizing the survivability/usefulness of pets feel free to offer. I will add them in and cite you as sources
edit: edited to make it easier to read.
Edited by Daisy Rogers, 28 December 2012 - 05:54 PM.