• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ninjamonke

ninjamonke

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:12 PM

I need help moving my Guild Wars 2 .dat file from my laptop to my desktop. I have a 32gb USB with 29gb free space. I tried to copy the 15.7gb .dat file into the USB and it says the file is too big.. Don't know why it says that. The USB has 29gb free space...

So, I tried to Archive it in Winrar into 5gb parts each. It says Access is denied. Went to the properties file and gave myself the access and it still says access is denied. wtf?

I don't wanna redownload it cuz it took a lot of time.What can I do now?

#2 Juminator

Juminator

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

What file format is your USB on ?

For files larger then 4gb your drives need to be in NTFS, i may be mistaken but i think by default all usb drives come formated in fat32, that only suports up to 4gb max size files.

Check the usb current format and reformat if needed to ntfs.

#3 Marc1k1

Marc1k1

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TGTP]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:50 PM

View Postninjamonke, on 28 December 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

I need help moving my Guild Wars 2 .dat file from my laptop to my desktop. I have a 32gb USB with 29gb free space. I tried to copy the 15.7gb .dat file into the USB and it says the file is too big.. Don't know why it says that. The USB has 29gb free space...

So, I tried to Archive it in Winrar into 5gb parts each. It says Access is denied. Went to the properties file and gave myself the access and it still says access is denied. wtf?

I don't wanna redownload it cuz it took a lot of time.What can I do now?

I would assume you have the laptop and desktop connected to the same network.

So working on that assumtion (and that they are connected to a shared home network group) you can litarlly just go to My Computer and on the left hand side you'll see the 'Network' area below 'Computer' you should also see the name of the laptop as well and can just drag the file over the network.

Personally when I transfer the game files I used a big ol' External HDD so it wasn't as much a problem.

#4 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:23 PM

Juminator likely has the gist of it, your flash drive is in FAT32 (they almost all are formatted that way from the factory). Reformat it in NTFS and you're good to go. Otherwise, network sharing needs a minimal amount of setup (it has to be enabled on both computers and either the homegroup is set or the permissions for particular shared folders are set). Also, do this only if you're transferring over wire, wireless transfer speeds are slow at best and move at molasses in winter speeds at worse.

The external HDD is a solution, but that implies that you have access to one.

#5 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5331 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 31 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Aye, i agree with tijo and Jurminator, you likely need to reformat the memory stick to NTFS (which can be done via right clicking when viewing the drive via computer). Just obviously make sure you back everything up first :)

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users