• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 xagent_cam

xagent_cam

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I am on holidays in France and i live in Australia and i want to get guild wars 2 from the website. What is going to happen when i go back home, will i be locked out or will i have to connect to EU servers in australia because i have heard the game is region locked. Please help!

#2 The Comfy Chair

The Comfy Chair

The best at space

• Members
  • 5330 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[TKOT]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 31 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

The game is indeed region locked to NA and EU servers, but it can be moved via world transfer as far as I'm aware. The best thing to do is send arenanet an email to know for absolute sure.

If you want to check if your computer will run GW2, check here.

If you find out you can't and need to think about upgrading or building another, check here.

#3 Kamatsu

Kamatsu

G'day Mate

• Moderators
  • 1397 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 12:50 AM

From my understanding, it's the 'data center' that is region locked, not the actual game server. So European players can still play on US servers and US players can play on Euro server's... it's just that their data center where their account is stored is locked to either European or US data centers - and this can't be changed right now afaik. The data center is where your main account details are registered - effecting things like currency used in gem store, forums logged into on official forums (if they have separate US & Euro forums), support services (if they have separate US & Euro support), etc.

If you were to buy the game and register it in France, you should still be able to play the game on whatever server you want (be it Euro or US server) while over there and when you return home. The big problem for you would be that your account would then be locked into the Euro data center - this means all prices for the gem store would be in Euro's, not US$. It would also mean any interaction you have with account support would go through any Euro department - well, assuming that their is actually a separate support section/department for both US and Euro server's/accounts (I honestly don't know). The biggest killer will be the gem cost if you ever decide to buy gems - as the US$ exchange rate is usually a lot better for Aussies and the Euro is.

Have a moderation related issue? Send me a PM

#4 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:59 AM

Considering that World Transfers may cost Gems (therefore money), deciding which server to pick could save you some real life cash too.  Still, being in Australia your latency on a NA server is probably still going to equal or be greater than connecting from the EU to a NA server, so if I were you, I'd pick a NA server the first time and be done with it. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users