#1 FireDragonDoL

FireDragonDoL

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts
  • Server:Vabbi

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hi everyone,
I'm leveling with my friend since level 1, we are a mesmer (me) specced phantasms dps (at the moment, waiting for level 60 to shatter build!) and a necro (pet specced, tanky). We have almost done in leveling (level 58), and we started thinking about which new class we would like to try because we enjoyed ourself a lot leveling toghether.

Because necro/mesmer aren't "comboing" (and I don't mean only the game-mechanic, I mean in general) well toghether (they are field spammer, but no good combo finishers), I were thinking about leveling 2 classes that possibly combo well toghether (both mechanic and as classes paired toghether).

So, any suggestion is well appreciated, just avoid Engineer because both of us don't like it, we were thinking about these classes at the moment (both of them would like to play almost all classes xD):

-Guardian
-Ranger
-Elementalist
-Thief
-Tanky warrior (with shield, atm I don't wanna try the offensive one)

Yea they are a lot.

Possible really good combos:

-Guardian + Ranger = Tanky with dps, lot of cc, lot of damage, combo field + finishers, great!
-Thief + Elementalist = Heavy focused on combo field + finisher, elementalist will do a lot of aoe while me with thief will delete most single target strong enemies
-Tanky warrior + ...DUNNO = This is an idea I'm thinking about, but can't think of any class that combo well with it.

Thanks for any suggestion guys.

Ah one OT question: Are there any PvE build (that I can play in 2 for leveling and for dungeons eventually) for thief that allows me to play a lot on shadowstep in/out of melee? I really like the mechanic of going melee, deal some strong damage and get out of combat with shadowreturn.

#2 jthamind

jthamind

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

Elementalist with a staff + almost any class = tons of combo field finishers. i personally love when a Ranger is around, because pretty much everything they do combos with my fields. but out of the classes you listed, all of them can finish in an elem's combo fields.

#3 Mura

Mura

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Fu]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:28 PM

Rangers have no blast finishers.  (ok the drake pet has a blast finisher, but it's not the F2 ability so you can't control it.)  Projectile finishers, which rangers have tons of, are only 20% chance.  I like my ranger, but the only combo-related thing I feel it has going for it is my torch has a fire field, and if I have my elementalist guildy do a blast finisher with it, we get might.

I have a level 80 engineer, too, and for multiple combo fields AND finishers, that class is wicked.  But you already said you guys don't wanna play that one (can't blame you, they're a lot of work) so that's that.

If you're at all interested in spvp, then one of you should roll a guardian.  Elementalist is a great combo-ing class.  Maybe you should do elementalist + warrior.

Look on the wiki, http://wiki.guildwar...m/wiki/Finisher

If you select from teh list of finisher types, you'll go to another wiki page where it lists all the class skills that do that kind of finisher.  Again, projectile finishers suck so I'd skip that one.  I mean, if you play a ranger, it's worth standing in combo fields for the effect, however, if that's what you care about, I wouldn't roll a ranger just for combo finishers.

View Postjthamind, on 31 December 2012 - 03:22 PM, said:

Elementalist with a staff + almost any class = tons of combo field finishers. i personally love when a Ranger is around, because pretty much everything they do combos with my fields. but out of the classes you listed, all of them can finish in an elem's combo fields.

The effects are misleading, because of this:   (http://wiki.guildwar...ectile_Finisher)

Projectile finishers are unique among finishers insofar that some projectiles, particularly those from skills with no cooldown and that fire multiple projectiles, will only combo 20% of the time. For such skills, the combo indicator will still appear and the projectile will take on the visual appearance of the combo, but will not necessarily apply the additional effect.

so basically, with the ranger around, you always see the Heart pop up that says Burning, or Chill, or Remove Condition, and you get all happy, but when you look at the mob you're attacking, only 20% of the time will that affect actually appear.

#4 jthamind

jthamind

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:33 PM

that still doesn't change the list of full projectile finishers they have. sure, the 20% ones can be misleading, but they still have a nice list of 100% finishers.

Edited by jthamind, 31 December 2012 - 03:37 PM.

#5 Mura

Mura

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Fu]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:41 PM

jthamind, you are absolutely correct.  I just don't feel they're worth it enough to roll a class specifically because you're interested in combo finishers.

#6 Kovares

Kovares

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Screw combo fields, they are not worth the hassle for a duo. Just look at what they really do for you: usually some blindness, retaliation, burning or might stacks. Those are nice if you get them anyway, but quick and solid dps is what kills mobs, and for that I'd look elsewhere.

2 signet warriors is your best bet if you want to blaze through all the pve content as fast and easy as possible. If you want to make the classes different, make one of them a guardian, but prepare for the guardian player feeling comparatively weak at low levels.
Have both of them collect mobs as far as their leashes allow, let the guardian drag them in with gs towards the warriors 100b, rinse repeat.

#7 Adrian_R

Adrian_R

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

My best guess: Elementalist(AoE, fields, squishy)+Ranger(tanky, single-target, should good rezzer as pet can block/distract enemies, many projectile and leap finishers)
This is quite close to what you were playing (pet+tank on one player and squishy caster on other), so chances are highest you'd enjoy it.
Guardian(tanky,AoE)+Thief(single-target) also cover each other's weaknesses, but probably more even in durability.
Warrior is too aggressive and not tanky enough with most weapon sets, you could get disappointed if you're looking for a tank.
Guardians aren't better at combo fields than rangers and thiefs, they have mostly light fields which aren't very useful.
Classes by how much I've played them: Guardian>Ranger>>Elementalist>Warrior>>Thief, so I'm unsure how a thief really works.

#8 FireDragonDoL

FireDragonDoL

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

I may be a bit misunderstood, but I like leveling in this game.
Sounds strange, but I do not require it to be the fastest, I were looking for a combo with finishers and so on because it requires more coordination, so needs us to play better toghether, which I think is fun.

View PostKovares, on 31 December 2012 - 03:45 PM, said:

Screw combo fields, they are not worth the hassle for a duo. Just look at what they really do for you: usually some blindness, retaliation, burning or might stacks. Those are nice if you get them anyway, but quick and solid dps is what kills mobs, and for that I'd look elsewhere.

2 signet warriors is your best bet if you want to blaze through all the pve content as fast and easy as possible. If you want to make the classes different, make one of them a guardian, but prepare for the guardian player feeling comparatively weak at low levels.
Have both of them collect mobs as far as their leashes allow, let the guardian drag them in with gs towards the warriors 100b, rinse repeat.

If we are going to roll a warrior (as Adrian_R states, is not so defensive as I hoped), I'll try the double warrior combo, but at the moment we want different classes if possible. Also we don't require the fastest leveling combo, I would like to play a combo that is fun to play toghether while still being strong for combos and things like that, because require coordination.

View PostAdrian_R, on 31 December 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

My best guess: Elementalist(AoE, fields, squishy)+Ranger(tanky, single-target, should good rezzer as pet can block/distract enemies, many projectile and leap finishers)
This is quite close to what you were playing (pet+tank on one player and squishy caster on other), so chances are highest you'd enjoy it.
Guardian(tanky,AoE)+Thief(single-target) also cover each other's weaknesses, but probably more even in durability.
Warrior is too aggressive and not tanky enough with most weapon sets, you could get disappointed if you're looking for a tank.
Guardians aren't better at combo fields than rangers and thiefs, they have mostly light fields which aren't very useful.
Classes by how much I've played them: Guardian>Ranger>>Elementalist>Warrior>>Thief, so I'm unsure how a thief really works.

This is interesting because you are shuffling my "combo" I've thought about.
Again, we are not sure but is definitely nice. As I've said above, I'm looking expecially for a fun combo to play, not required the best one (double warrior looks like it is).

I'll think about it. Double Elementalist could be interesting however, because both of us would like to try it, however we can't give equipment eachother if that's the case.

#9 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3117 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Me and a friend both rolled rangers and it's working amazingly well. Between two characters and two pets it feels like a pinball machine - foes just bounce off one target to the next, meaning that no-one is every in any danger and with shortbow + axe/torch combo and Flame Trap we are constantly laying down fire fields that then get used up by the projectiles.

#10 FireDragonDoL

FireDragonDoL

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostProtoss, on 01 January 2013 - 10:25 AM, said:

Me and a friend both rolled rangers and it's working amazingly well. Between two characters and two pets it feels like a pinball machine - foes just bounce off one target to the next, meaning that no-one is every in any danger and with shortbow + axe/torch combo and Flame Trap we are constantly laying down fire fields that then get used up by the projectiles.

Could be interesting if some of us can really play the "melee" ranger, I'm interested in strange specialization classes :P

#11 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3117 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostFireDragonDoL, on 01 January 2013 - 05:15 PM, said:

Could be interesting if some of us can really play the "melee" ranger, I'm interested in strange specialization classes :P

We both went ranged (although you set traps in melee) because stuff just explodes and it takes forever to get into melee. ^^
Plus the axe bounces off over half the map so you just keep aggroing more and more. ^^

#12 FireDragonDoL

FireDragonDoL

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostProtoss, on 01 January 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

We both went ranged (although you set traps in melee) because stuff just explodes and it takes forever to get into melee. ^^
Plus the axe bounces off over half the map so you just keep aggroing more and more. ^^

Lol, I'll try it for sure!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leveling, party, friend, combo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users