18 replies to this topic

#1 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

Hey guys, some of you may remember me as not a month ago I was asking for gpu recommendations, I settled for a 7750 in the end.
Now the card has been running since I got it without problems.
The problems lies with my brothers computer, his is identical to mine.
Yet since the card went in his its caused nothing but problems, the computer audio says no device is connected even though he's using a hdmi cable and the screen is on so it's obviously connected!
But also the monitor will go black, any game or music etc sound that's playing freezes and all lights on the tower stay on and fans are still spinning but the only way to bring the.screen back is to restart the pc.
anyone have any ideas? So far I've had a system wipe and restore, Tried a different cable, swapped mine and his.card to see if it was faulty but mine doesn't work in his but his does in mine. I tried an old gt 520 in his and it works fine. Just seems to be the 7750 that doesn't, can anyone help?

#2 XgreatArtist

XgreatArtist

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1496 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostMrStanler, on 03 January 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

Hey guys, some of you may remember me as not a month ago I was asking for gpu recommendations, I settled for a 7750 in the end.
Now the card has been running since I got it without problems.
The problems lies with my brothers computer, his is identical to mine.
Yet since the card went in his its caused nothing but problems, the computer audio says no device is connected even though he's using a hdmi cable and the screen is on so it's obviously connected!
But also the monitor will go black, any game or music etc sound that's playing freezes and all lights on the tower stay on and fans are still spinning but the only way to bring the.screen back is to restart the pc.
anyone have any ideas? So far I've had a system wipe and restore, Tried a different cable, swapped mine and his.card to see if it was faulty but mine doesn't work in his but his does in mine. I tried an old gt 520 in his and it works fine. Just seems to be the 7750 that doesn't, can anyone help?

so the previous GPU on his PC was, A nvidia card? If yes, you need to wipe out all nvidia drivers and then install the AMD card with AMD drivers. AMD and nvidia drivers do not work together. If you are installing a card that is different brand, you need to wipe out the drivers from the old card then install the new card and update its drivers.

#3 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

That was done. The first card was the AMD, Which caused those problems. He's downgraded to my old nvidia one to try it and that works. It's the AMD one we want,but even deleting all nvidia drivers and making sure all AMD ones are up to date doesn't solve the problems with the 7750

#4 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostMrStanler, on 03 January 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

That was done. The first card was the AMD, Which caused those problems. He's downgraded to my old nvidia one to try it and that works. It's the AMD one we want,but even deleting all nvidia drivers and making sure all AMD ones are up to date doesn't solve the problems with the 7750

Sounds like the video card is bad put it in your PC and see if it works.

#5 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Thanks for the reply, already done it. Infact I'm still using his card after a week and its perfect.
Really stuck on what it could be, faulty psu not handling the tiny increase in power demand from the 520 to the 7750?
I think the audio might just be AMD audio drivers conflicting with the realtek hd. But the main issue is the black screens

#6 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ARM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Did you alter the default audio output to the HDMI audio of the GPU in the control panel? Simple answer than can be overlooked. Is the cable HDMI to HDMI?

#7 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Unfortunately not because under the audio devices in the control panel the hdmi output is classed as unplugged and can't be selected.
Now I found that uninstalling the audio drivers with the disc I got with the motherboard and reinstalling them makes it work and I get sound through the hdmi,
Until the computer is rebooted and its back to being unplugged again. It is hdmi to hdmi

#8 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Are you using Win 7 with SP1? There was a service pack hotfix for this.

I found a post relating to this problem(which seems to be well known). I hope it helps.
The solution seemed to fix the following combination:
- motherboard has Realtek integrated audio
- video card is ATi chipset

It's a known problem even if HDMI cable plugged in to your HDTV from your HDMI video card but Windows said no HDMI cable plugged in. Following the steps below might fix the sound issue but do it at your own risk.

System I fixed with DFi mobo which had the integrated Realtek audio chipset and video card was an Asus EAH4350.

Steps:
- latest ATi CCC installed
- go to Realtek
- find and click "High Definition Audio Codecs (Software)" link
- ack the download agreement
- find "ATI HDMI Audio Device" (currently version R2.39) and download it
- follow the rest of the installation steps to finish the setup

Setup will prompt for a reboot and it should play sound on your HDTV after all.
The issue seems to be with the drivers and realtek. It was an old article so I am pretty sure that the version will be newer.
Hope that helps ya.

#9 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Oh wow I'll give that a go thanks! Weird how my identical computer didn't have this problem though! Don't suppose you have any suggestions for the black screen do. You?

#10 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Maybe try using a different HDMI cable just to make sure that the cable is ok. Since the 520 you tried worked it would be logical to assume that it is an issue with the ATI card. If all else fails I would consider RMA'ing(returning) the card in exchange for another one.

#11 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

Yeah I thought it would be the card too but after trying it In mine and it working I'm not so sure the card is at fault
Seems like its the computer to me

#12 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3324 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

One question - do you need to use HDMI or could you use DVI + audio? (or even VGA?)

Sometimes my Blu-Ray player (stand-alone) will disconnect itself from the HDTV. The screen will go black and the HDTV will say "No signal" and I have to restart the BR player to get it to work. HDMI seems to be a bit of a cluster-funk. So, I'm not a big fan of using HDMI when it can be avoided.
Note that the video signals used for HDMI are the same as DVI. The only advantage of HDMI is the audio combined in the same cable.
Also, the quality of the HDMI cable may have some effect.

Edited by Quaker, 03 January 2013 - 04:31 PM.

#13 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

I don't have to use hdmi, strange thing Is when the screen goes black it says there is still a hdmi input
The sound stutters then stops. It's like the computer just shuts off yet the fans are spinning at normal speed.
Maybe the way to go is to try it without hdmi and then if it goes black again its safe to assume its a problem inside the computer?

#14 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

It is best to avoid HDMI audio if possible. I have had problems with it as well. I usually just use DVI and use another cable for the audio.

Edited by Baldur The Bold, 03 January 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#15 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Would I get the same picture quality without hdmi? I could always use dvi, just don't want to sacrifice quality. The native resolution will obviously be lower but will it affect quality?

#16 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

The picture quality of DVI would be the same as HDMI. The only difference is that HDMI can carry audio signals. The native resolution should be the same with both cables.

#17 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hmm I'm oh right awesome, I'll see how I get on with that then! The hdmi being dodgy explains sound and image freezing I suppose! Wonder why it works on the 520 but not the 7750 then? Hdmi is fine on the former.

#18 Straegen

Straegen

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

Have you switched monitors? Could be the monitor going to sleep for some reason. This also happens frequently with a faulty or under powered PSU. I would suspect this as the culprit if the video card is working fine in your essentially duplicate rig and it isn't the monitor. Generally this happens during game play when the card is pulling max power.

Heat build up can also be an issue. If his case has faulty fans or is in a hotter part of the house, the card could simply be overheating. Leaving the case off for a while to see if the problem goes away can often ID this problem.

It is also possible the card drivers are resetting themselves while the machine is on. This is usually seen when the monitor comes back on and a message appears in the lower right stating Windows found a new device.

If the machines are nearly the same, pull the video card, HD and monitor out of the working machine and pop them into the problem machine. If the problem presents, it is likely the PSU and certainly hardware. If it doesn't it is software and a file/new on the OS is probably the best option. Upon bootup Windows might bark about needing to validate when you do this. You can ignore the message until you get it back in the original machine.

Edited by Straegen, 03 January 2013 - 05:36 PM.

#19 MrStanler

MrStanler

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

The systems are identical, it isn't a heat issue as the temperatures are normal when it occurs. I suspected it was the psu as the computer essentially cuts out completely but it doesn't do it under heavy load. It's totally random. He played guild wars for hours and was fine but he's also just been browsing the internet and its done it before so it seems totally random. I haven't tried his on my monitor yet so I'll give it a go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users