• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Slay

Slay

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

I am wondering if i can run GW2 on my macbook pro with no lag on either the lowest setting or medium.  I don't want to buy the game unless i know for sure that it will run smoothly on my mac. Thanks,

Mid 2012 13'' MacBook Pro

Processor  2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory  4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics  Intel HD Graphics 4000 512 MB

Software  OS X 10.8.2

#2 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

Hi.

I don't play on OSX, but from what I've heard, you'll get more frames if you bootcamp to Windows :P

I found this thread:
https://discussions....tart=0&tstart=0

I used Bootcamp to play Guild Wars 2 over the Beta Weekend Event and the game ran incredibly smoothly on my 15" Macbook Pro. WoW also runs MUCH better on my MBP than on my PC desktop, with hardware being similar. Don't discount MBPs for gaming.

Personally, I think you'll be struggling on high settings, but you should have no problem running on mid-low. (on windows)

Edited by Mr.Kotte, 04 January 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#3 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[SoF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Well when I run it on my 2010 model it's okay but I need to turn all settings way down or struggle when a lot of players are on screen. Did the ancient Karka event on it and even on lowest settings I got 2-5 FPS. Generally it's ok though but nowhere near my PC's performance. However mine has a core duo 2.4 GHZ and yours is an i5 which makes a huge difference and I wouldn't be surprised if it ran quite well on the newer model.

#4 ShezuTsukai

ShezuTsukai

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 481 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Soul]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

One of my Macs is the one you want to use. I have tried Bootcamp and Mac beta and Bootcamp runs better. But I seldom can access the TP.

The biggest problem is the graphics card. Older MacBook pros have Invidia and run the game better. I have a pro from 2008 and can run on medium with 20+ fps (except WvW Zerg ofc) and access TP.

#5 JACK the Somnolent

JACK the Somnolent

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[WAR]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:21 PM

Why are people talking about Bootcamp? There is a OSX GW2 Beta. I play on my Mac Book Pro almost every night (my girlfriend has claimed the good computer!) My frame rates are good but with all graphics are set to ultra-low. I am able to do pretty much anything with out much of an issue. Sometimes I get random crashes or freezes, but it's still in BETA so I don't worry about it much.

My Mac Book is a couple years old but I don't know the specs off the top of my head. If I remember I'll try to edit my post with details.

Overall I think it is much more enjoyable to play on something that can run the game on high but I still have a lot of fun on my mac.

#6 Donpablo

Donpablo

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Hell]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostJACK the Somnolent, on 04 January 2013 - 04:21 PM, said:

Why are people talking about Bootcamp?

people are talking about bootcamp because it generally runs better in windows than it does on the mac client. I have both the mac client and boot camp on my MBP, and it runs better in windows. That being said, if it runs well enough for you to enjoy yourself, and you don't want to deal with installing boot camp (which can be a real pain... if anyone needs help with it, feel free to PM me), yes, the mac client runs fine, and yes OP, I'm sure it will run fine on your machine.

Edited by Donpablo, 04 January 2013 - 04:34 PM.

#7 radamant011

radamant011

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

Dunno if this would help.. i play gw2 on my laptop that has hd 4000 intel graphics, has 4 gigs of ram and a dual core celeron. Everything runs fine on low settings (28 fps on average).

#8 JACK the Somnolent

JACK the Somnolent

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WAR]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

View PostDonpablo, on 04 January 2013 - 04:27 PM, said:

people are talking about bootcamp because it generally runs better in windows than it does on the mac client. I have both the mac client and boot camp on my MBP, and it runs better in windows. That being said, if it runs well enough for you to enjoy yourself, and you don't want to deal with installing boot camp (which can be a real pain... if anyone needs help with it, feel free to PM me), yes, the mac client runs fine, and yes OP, I'm sure it will run fine on your machine.

Mmmm I was thinking of wine not bootcamp. I couldn't figure out how people were getting better frames while simulating windows through a program... then I realized I'm an idiot haha.

Anyways yeah I'm too lazy to bother with a dual boot setup and while the random crashes can be annoying, I've gotten use to them haha. Thanks for the reply!

edit: I can grammar, I swears it!

Edited by JACK the Somnolent, 04 January 2013 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users