33 replies to this topic

#31 Turambar

Turambar

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2506 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

View Postbudong, on 17 January 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

A friend of mine has been talking about this game for some time.  This is the first time I've seen it in depth and I have to say it looks impressive.  I've been yearning for a more sandbox approach to an mmo.  This game appears to be something that starts small and gradually grows instead of the recent mmo pattern of big lauch and dead servers within 2 months.  I can see it carving it's own niche much like Eve. Gonna be following this one.  I hope they can pull it off as I'd really like to adventure in their world.

Exactly, so long as it creates it's own niche. Many, many hurdles but I think even the process of developing will be a positive experience, with their emphasis o crowdforging.

View Postdraxynnic, on 18 January 2013 - 02:06 AM, said:

That's pretty much it, really - it seems fairly heavily aimed towards PKing. Not just that it's there, but that there's added incentive to do so by being able to loot the corpse of your victim - while they've made a big deal about the threading system meaning that they can't take your best items, it's still going to hurt, and from the PKer's perspective then not only are they going to get the fun of ruining someone else's day, they can also pretty much guarantee that they're going to get stuff that another player thought was actually worth using rather than simple vendortrash.

Most of your day-to-day gear will be trash-gear. Gear will be highly disposable to create demand in the economy for crafters etc. This post by Goblin Works CEO, Ryan Dancey addresses these concerns (even if it does not fully alleviate them): Definitely worth a read: Forum Thread: Gypsies, Tramps, and Thieves

HawkofStorms, Raspberry Jam, Arduin, Corsair, draxynnic, Foxbat, Arngrim Einheri - These are all people who would be good to see in the PFO community. Half of a mmorpg if not more is it's community. I think selective approach is something mmorpgs should do more of. The good thing about PFO early enrollment is ideally it will do something like this Eg one of the guilds: Empyrean Order is aiming for  Focus: Anti-RPK.

#32 Arngrim Einheri

Arngrim Einheri

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2875 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Hehe, they bounty system seems fun. "if you are wealthy, and you get killed, you can make life miserable for your killer for a very, very long time." I can imagine being the killer, and then rolling an alt bounty-hunter asking half of the money now, and the other half when I finish the job... "See, bounty hunter equipment needs some funds sir!" xD

Edited by Arngrim Einheri, 18 January 2013 - 08:23 PM.

#33 HawkofStorms

HawkofStorms

Guru's Source of Witty Banter

• Members
  • 3101 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:25 AM

View PostArngrim Einheri, on 18 January 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Hehe, they bounty system seems fun. "if you are wealthy, and you get killed, you can make life miserable for your killer for a very, very long time." I can imagine being the killer, and then rolling an alt bounty-hunter asking half of the money now, and the other half when I finish the job... "See, bounty hunter equipment needs some funds sir!" xD

lol

Infiltration and backstabbing a la Eve Online is an art that I wish was prevalent in more games.  Not that I want all games to be like that, but there are such good stories from this sorta thing.

#34 Turambar

Turambar

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2506 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:58 PM

It's been over a year since and Goblinworks are nearing alpha in April. Here are some interesting articles to read up on the game since if interested:

Pathfinder's Dancey on the 'broken AAA themepark financial model'

Pathfinder Onlineā€™s Ryan Dancey Defends Elder Scrolls Online and Subscriptions

Pathfinder Online Interviews: We Want to Under Promise and Over Deliver

Pathfinder Online's Ryan Dancey on crowdforging a 'minimum viable product'

There's not a lot to show atm, but it has: 1) Stayed on Budget 2) Stayed on Time 3) Updated backers like clockwork

Alpha ETA = April
Early Enrollment ETA = June

Here's the website which has had a small update: Goblinworks website

It's risky backing these crowdfunding mmorpgs, but so far it has been a good project. Hopefully it will provide some fun on release.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users