• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

The setup...

Current machine has a SSD C:\ and a secondary HDD D:\ .  Windows is configured to put my Users folder on the D:\ because I obviously don't want temp files, internet cache and Downloads cluttering up my SSD.

The problem is that the secondary drive is a WD Green.  I had accidentally put that one in there when I thought it was a Black.  Turns out I didn't have a Black, I had a Green and all my Blacks were in use.  With the Steam Sale, I need to put some of the non-asset-heavy stuff on the secondary drive, but the Green's still showing some noticeable performance issues.

So I've bought a Black.  But I want Windows to not notice this, so I want to clone the Green's structure to the Black.  Either that or just migrate the data and completely reinstall Windows and GW2.

So is there an easy way to create an image of D:\, swap drives, not boot into Windows (because missing D:\Users will royally muck things up), clone the image onto the new D:\ and then boot back into Windows without it being any wiser that something might've changed on the filesystem... It'll probably notice the drive's different, but as far as operations and data, it won't notice something's changed.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#2 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Clone the drive with clonezilla or another piece of software like acronis.

#3 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

View Posttijo, on 04 January 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Clone the drive with clonezilla or another piece of software like acronis.

I'm not totally stupid, but can you tell me how to go about doing that?  Specifically with when and where to switch out the hardware?  Do both drives need to be connected at the same time, etc?

Thanks.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#4 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Guide on how to clone with clonezilla: http://www.howtogeek...ith-clonezilla/ . You will need both drives in the machine when you clone, then you just swap the old one for the new and done.

Edited by tijo, 04 January 2013 - 09:26 PM.

#5 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3307 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

Easier still, install both drives in the machine. Copy everything from the D: drive (green) to the E: (or whatever letter it ends up as) drive (black) using simple drag and drop file/folder copy. Remove the D: drive. Get into Administrative tools and re-letter the E: drive to D:.

(You'll need to do that last step because of the way Win 7 keeps track of drive properties. Or you could simply keep the current drive letter of the black and re-do your library paths.)

P.s. This is assuming that you have a free SATA port and extra SATA cables. If not, you could temporarily use the optical drive's port and cables.

Edited by Quaker, 05 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users