Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

What all to do with Karma?


  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 krewl

krewl

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:00 PM

All,

I have a decent amount of karma "sitting around" and I am not exactly sure what to do with it. I do not really have any intentions of trying to get a legendary which is what I believe some people are using the karma to purchase some mats.

I have purchased my Gods gear for WvW but, past that I am not exactly sure what to spend my karma on.

What are you purchasing with your Karma and why?

Thanks

#2 FoxBat

FoxBat

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 3975 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:29 AM

Ash Legion Spy Kits
Fine Salvage Kits
Mithril Picks
various food ingredients
t3 cultural weapons (admittedly most are nothing special)

#3 Sheepski

Sheepski

    Seraph Guardian

  • Moderators
  • 1240 posts
  • Location:Manchester
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

As above; but also the Thirstslayer achievement can be bought for karma if you care for achievements.

I'd also add Orichalcum Gathering Tools (assuming the above poster didn't mean them instead of Mithril).

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!


#4 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:02 AM

I just spent a bunch of karma on the ash legion spy kits. Really useful item. You can stealth while rezzing people, harvest under the noses of champions, stealth while getting commune skill points that are guarded and break aggro, as well as other uses. PvE only tho.

Edited by Astral Projections, 05 January 2013 - 03:03 AM.


#5 Castlehill

Castlehill

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 10 posts
  • Location:Denmark
  • Guild Tag:[DL]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:46 AM

Where do you buy the ash legion spy kit?

#6 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

View PostCastlehill, on 05 January 2013 - 04:46 AM, said:

Where do you buy the ash legion spy kit?
Level 6 heart NPC in the Charr area. http://wiki.guildwar...ra_Sharptracker


#7 RaoulDukeHST

RaoulDukeHST

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 515 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:05 AM

buy green gear,put it in the mystic forge,get yellows,salvage those for ectos

#8 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:22 AM

View PostRaoulDukeHST, on 05 January 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

buy green gear,put it in the mystic forge,get yellows,salvage those for ectos
Ths is a really interesting idea. But I am concerned that ANet would consider it an exploit. After all they banned those people who used karma to make money in the Chili Popper exploit. If people started doing this, i would be afraid that the ban hammer would come down.

#9 escada_assassin

escada_assassin

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 170 posts
  • Location:Romania
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

View PostRaoulDukeHST, on 05 January 2013 - 09:05 AM, said:

buy green gear,put it in the mystic forge,get yellows,salvage those for ectos

Related to that, I had 4 green accessories and nothing to do with them, selling them wouldn't have helped me much so I decided to throw them into the Mystic Forge. Guess what? Nothing came out. Zip. So I can consider I just deleted 4 greens by throwing them into the Mystic Forge, while getting nothing in exchange. Was that suppose to happen? Is it normal like that? I didn't buy those greens to get rares and salvage for ectos, I just wanted more space in my bank and I was rather curious of the result. :) Now I know the result, but I find it weird.

P.S. I reported this as a bug to ANet, since I'm not aware of any rule that forbids throwing greens in the Mystic Forge and if so, you get nothing in return.

Edited by escada_assassin, 05 January 2013 - 09:43 AM.


#10 DennisChrDk

DennisChrDk

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 415 posts
  • Location:Denmark
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

it's not an exploit doing something like this, this is how the mystic forge works. It's not like you can keep doing this trick, you can only do it as long as you have karma.

And exploit would have been if you got all (or most) of the karma back, and then continued the step in all eternaty and could get an insane about of ectos. That would have been considered an exploit :)

View Postescada_assassin, on 05 January 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Related to that, I had 4 green accessories and nothing to do with them, selling them wouldn't have helped me much so I decided to throw them into the Mystic Forge. Guess what? Nothing came out. Zip. So I can consider I just deleted 4 greens by throwing them into the Mystic Forge, while getting nothing in exchange. Was that suppose to happen? Is it normal like that? I didn't buy those greens to get rares and salvage for ectos, I just wanted more space in my bank and I was rather curious of the result. :) Now I know the result, but I find it weird.

P.S. I reported this as a bug to ANet, since I'm not aware of any rule that forbids throwing greens in the Mystic Forge and if so, you get nothing in return.

It's not a bug. you only get a CHANCE for getting a rare. Most of the times you will get a higher tier, but not always. You were just unlucky getting a green back, but this is absolutly normal

#11 escada_assassin

escada_assassin

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 170 posts
  • Location:Romania
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

But you didn't read my post well. I said I got NOTHING in return. Threw 4 greens and I got 0, squat, nothing, zilch, zip in return. Not a green, not a rare, not an exotic, absolutey nothing. Not even a window that says error or anything like that. They were just sucked into the vortex and that's pretty much it. That's why I reported it.

Edited by escada_assassin, 05 January 2013 - 09:48 AM.


#12 DennisChrDk

DennisChrDk

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 415 posts
  • Location:Denmark
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

View Postescada_assassin, on 05 January 2013 - 09:47 AM, said:

But you didn't read my post well. I said I got NOTHING in return. Threw 4 greens and I got 0, squat, nothing, zilch, zip in return. Not a green, not a rare, not an exotic, absolutey nothing. Not even a window that says error or anything like that. They were just sucked into the vortex and that's pretty much it. That's why I reported it.

I misunderstood you then. That must be a bug, because you should get something back when you do this, but I can't say for sure

#13 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:53 AM

View PostDennisChr, on 05 January 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

it's not an exploit doing something like this, this is how the mystic forge works. It's not like you can keep doing this trick, you can only do it as long as you have karma.
And exploit would have been if you got all (or most) of the karma back, and then continued the step in all eternaty and could get an insane about of ectos. That would have been considered an exploit :)
It's not a bug. you only get a CHANCE for getting a rare. Most of the times you will get a higher tier, but not always. You were just unlucky getting a green back, but this is absolutly normal
I only read about it after the fact. With the chili popper exploit, iirc, they used karma to buy ingredients then made chili poppers and sold the poppers on the trading post. They were banned, unfairly imo, for using karma to make money. ANet said then they didn't want people to use karma to make money. If you convert karma items into sellable ectos, how is this different? You understand that I am not criticizing and would like to try this myself but I am concerned about consequences.

Edited by Astral Projections, 05 January 2013 - 09:55 AM.


#14 escada_assassin

escada_assassin

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 170 posts
  • Location:Romania
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

Yeah, I'll never throw any other green in there. I think I'l use my karma on getting obsidian shards and along with some ecto, throw them al into the Mystic Forge hoping to get more nice T6 materials. Other than that, as some people around this forum said, you should keep it cause you never know what ANet might come up with next, something that uses high amounts of karma some nice weapon or some nice armor set. So after getting all the T6 material I need, I will keep whatever karma I get.

Can you use karma to buy pirate weapons and salvage those into ecto?

#15 Sword Hammer Axe

Sword Hammer Axe

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 846 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

I want a Warden Greatsword on my Mesmer, Warden Axe on my Necro, Warden Dagger and Sword on my Thief, Wolfborn Sword on my Warrior, Wolfborn Longbow and 2 Adamant Guard Axes on my Ranger, Peacemaker's Shield on my Engineer, and probably a bit more that I haven't yet decided on from the t3 cultural weapon sets, so I'm gonna need a ton of karma there already. It's also exluding the skins I want that I can get for 9800 karma.

But basically, it's limited what you can get for karma. A few dungeon runs and you get both money, xp, and enough karma to get pretty much whatever. Not to mention these jugs of liquid goodness. :P

#16 DennisChrDk

DennisChrDk

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 415 posts
  • Location:Denmark
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[SC]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

View Postescada_assassin, on 05 January 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

Can you use karma to buy pirate weapons and salvage those into ecto?

No the things you buy with Karma can't be salvaged. That is why people throw them into the mystic forge, because the things that comes out there can be salvaged, even though the original wepons can't be.

#17 RaoulDukeHST

RaoulDukeHST

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 515 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:06 AM

i used 500 k karma to buy lvl 74 green boots(i think it was 74),from a karma vendor in frosgourge,i got around 150 ectos out of the yellows i got..Try to find the lowest level,lowest price karma item that can make a level 70+ yellow.For some reason,all the items that i got from the forge we're level 80,so i don't know if you can buy lvl 65-68 greens and get 70+ yellows.

EDIT:For those concerned that this is an exploit:The return rate is so bad,and the karma expense is so large,that this is no way to make money,i prob used 10 g worth of kits to get 30 g worth of ectos,so not worth it unless you have lots of karma lying around

Edited by RaoulDukeHST, 05 January 2013 - 11:10 AM.


#18 Ghostwing

Ghostwing

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

View PostAstral Projections, on 05 January 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

I only read about it after the fact. With the chili popper exploit, iirc, they used karma to buy ingredients then made chili poppers and sold the poppers on the trading post. They were banned, unfairly imo, for using karma to make money. ANet said then they didn't want people to use karma to make money. If you convert karma items into sellable ectos, how is this different? You understand that I am not criticizing and would like to try this myself but I am concerned about consequences.

That's not what happened. They used karma to buy the ingredients to make chilli poppers and then sold them to NPC vendors, and the sale price was high compared to the karma spent.

#19 Millimidget

Millimidget

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

There's a ranged fire elemental summon you can buy in Fireheart Ridge; rather squishy, but it's a decent damage boost for the cost.

View PostAstral Projections, on 05 January 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Ths is a really interesting idea. But I am concerned that ANet would consider it an exploit. After all they banned those people who used karma to make money in the Chili Popper exploit. If people started doing this, i would be afraid that the ban hammer would come down.
Yeah, I'd be leery of any "creative" karma expenditures.

#20 Silinsar

Silinsar

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

View PostRaoulDukeHST, on 05 January 2013 - 11:06 AM, said:

i used 500 k karma to buy lvl 74 green boots(i think it was 74),from a karma vendor in frosgourge,i got around 150 ectos out of the yellows i got..Try to find the lowest level,lowest price karma item that can make a level 70+ yellow.For some reason,all the items that i got from the forge we're level 80,so i don't know if you can buy lvl 65-68 greens and get 70+ yellows.

EDIT:For those concerned that this is an exploit:The return rate is so bad,and the karma expense is so large,that this is no way to make money,i prob used 10 g worth of kits to get 30 g worth of ectos,so not worth it unless you have lots of karma lying around

Strange. Isn't karma gear supposed to be un-salavageable?

#21 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:41 PM

View PostSilinsar, on 05 January 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

Strange. Isn't karma gear supposed to be un-salavageable?
Karma gear is. But they are using the mystic forge to convert karma gear into salvageable items which can be broken up and the components sold. If ANet doesn't want people to convert karma into money, this may be a problem.

#22 Millimidget

Millimidget

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostAstral Projections, on 05 January 2013 - 11:41 PM, said:

Karma gear is. But they are using the mystic forge to convert karma gear into salvageable items which can be broken up and the components sold. If ANet doesn't want people to convert karma into money, this may be a problem.
Expect bans.

Yes, I'm totally serious.

#23 Chalky

Chalky

    chalktastic

  • Super Moderators
  • 4786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GOON]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

Lets try to keep the discussion on the topic of things to do with karma rather than focusing too specifically on one particular use and whether or not it is an exploit.  That's not really on topic.
Do you need help or just want to chat about moderation?  Drop me a PM.

#24 RaoulDukeHST

RaoulDukeHST

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 515 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EXG]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:55 AM

View PostMillimidget, on 05 January 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Expect bans.

Yes, I'm totally serious.
yeah,it's a real exploit,1 million karma on average for 40 g,epic transaction.You do know arenanet fixed the transmutation rates so this cannot be abused right?You used to be able to get exotics out of greens,Kripparian did it on stream,and then arenanet looked at all the conversion rates.If they didn't want people to use this method,they would have removed it completely.

#25 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Definitively every karma turned into gold tricks are sooner or later considered an exploit with mass ban. Until they hear everywhere about it, seems those highly professional devs are not aware of the trick of this thread too ^_^

Personally all my karma goes straigh to ash kits, the best i can suggest

Edited by Lucas Ashrock, 06 January 2013 - 11:05 AM.


#26 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

    Creative Quaggan

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:21 AM

What if you use karma to get ecto for yourself and not sell it on TP? The karma greens seem like a legit way of making rares but instead of selling stuff you could use it for your own weapon crafting. That way you won't make money just ease up on ectos. God knows you need about 1500+ ectos to make Legendary+Ascended stuff.

I think this is in a grey area imo. If you keep the ectos I don't see it as an offence, but if you use it to make more money then yes it is. I'd really like to hear from ANet first before I consider doing this...

EDIT: Sorry for not being on-topic but the first reply answered it all.

Edited by Nabuko Darayon, 06 January 2013 - 11:22 AM.


#27 UnDeadFun

UnDeadFun

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

View PostLucas Ashrock, on 06 January 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Definitively every karma turned into gold tricks are sooner or later considered an exploit with mass ban. Until they hear everywhere about it, seems those highly professional devs are not aware of the trick of this thread too ^_^

Personally all my karma goes straigh to ash kits, the best i can suggest

I don't think this is an exploit. I use "X" amount of karma to buy 4 items to turn into 1 item in the mystic forge. Then I spend either in game silver, gold, karma or gems to buy salvage kits to turn 1 item into maybe 0, 1, 2, or 3 ectos. Putting items into the mystic forge give random results, there is no guarantee that you will double your return. Also when using the salvage kits to get ectos, this is also random.

I read the recent post on the snow flake exploits and I do not think this use of karma qualifies. Anet put it as turning 1 item into 2, 2 items into 4 and 4 items into 8, etc...

Edit : Anytime you double or triple your returns without further cost to you, then that is an exploit. Using karma to put things into the mystic forge cost more karma, obtain salvage kits costs  you, and the results on both are random.

Edited by UnDeadFun, 06 January 2013 - 11:31 AM.


#28 Nabuko Darayon

Nabuko Darayon

    Creative Quaggan

  • Members
  • 936 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostUnDeadFun, on 06 January 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I don't think this is an exploit. I use "X" amount of karma to buy 4 items to turn into 1 item in the mystic forge. Then I spend either in game silver, gold, karma or gems to buy salvage kits to turn 1 item into maybe 0, 1, 2, or 3 ectos. Putting items into the mystic forge give random results, there is no guarantee that you will double your return. Also when using the salvage kits to get ectos, this is also random.

I read the recent post on the snow flake exploits and I do not think this use of karma qualifies. Anet put it as turning 1 item into 2, 2 items into 4 and 4 items into 8, etc...

Edit : Anytime you double or triple your returns without further cost to you, then that is an exploit. Using karma to put things into the mystic forge cost more karma, obtain salvage kits costs  you, and the results on both are random.

I'll have to agree with this. Especially since there's no karma sink mechanics and 1mil is max.

#29 RandolfRa

RandolfRa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:37 PM

View PostAstral Projections, on 05 January 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Ths is a really interesting idea. But I am concerned that ANet would consider it an exploit. After all they banned those people who used karma to make money in the Chili Popper exploit. If people started doing this, i would be afraid that the ban hammer would come down.
I'm not sure if this is the same thing. They sold those chili poppers right to vendor, directly turning karma into money. Here you would sell items you created with karma to other players: you may get money in the process, but karma is not being turned into money.

Seriously, before being bothered about petty stuff like this, Anet should do something about the farm of botters and hackers. But a shit company is a shit company: they tend to target their own customers more than those who actually exploit them.


Quote

Edit : Anytime you double or triple your returns without further cost to you, then that is an exploit. Using karma to put things into the mystic forge cost more karma, obtain salvage kits costs  you, and the results on both are random.
What, people do this everyday using the various tricks involving the TP. All they do is exploit lazy people.

Edited by RandolfRa, 06 January 2013 - 12:46 PM.


#30 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

View PostUnDeadFun, on 06 January 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I don't think this is an exploit. I use "X" amount of karma to buy 4 items to turn into 1 item in the mystic forge. Then I spend either in game silver, gold, karma or gems to buy salvage kits to turn 1 item into maybe 0, 1, 2, or 3 ectos. Putting items into the mystic forge give random results, there is no guarantee that you will double your return. Also when using the salvage kits to get ectos, this is also random.

I read the recent post on the snow flake exploits and I do not think this use of karma qualifies. Anet put it as turning 1 item into 2, 2 items into 4 and 4 items into 8, etc...

Edit : Anytime you double or triple your returns without further cost to you, then that is an exploit. Using karma to put things into the mystic forge cost more karma, obtain salvage kits costs  you, and the results on both are random.
For what i get of Anet attitude, every conversion from karma to something valuable and resellable (potentially) is not expected, so every single use of karma leading to rares then ectos, would potentially ends up to a ban. For sure a removal, sooner or later fixing it

Edited by Lucas Ashrock, 07 January 2013 - 07:48 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users