Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Understanding, Controlling and Predicting the Economy


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hey everyone I'm Almar of AlmarsGuides.com; you may recognize my name as I have been making guides for Gw2 since shortly after release. This guide is one of my newer ones that I am quite proud of since it helps not only people playing gw2 make money but really people playing any mmorpg/wanting to play with any market they can find. Now don't worry, I haven't put this guide together in some annoying format where you have to read through 400 pages to get useful information, it's all here in this video!



A little bit about me incase you are saying to yourself 'who does this guy think he is? Coming into my forums and boasting about this crap?!? Get him boys!' What I do in games is play with economies, whether I can make them bend to my will, crash them or just simply make enough gold to please myself. I dislike grouping and I dislike raiding. What i like to do is farm and play with the economies and occasionally PvP when I get bored of farming.

If you watch my video you'll know that this giant nerd knows what he is talking about with economies. You don't even have to watch the video if you don't want too, just pop it open in a different tab and listen in, if you're disappointed I will come to your house and give you a back rub for the time you spent listening to my video, ultimately returning your lost time too you. Honestly, I'll do it!!

Good luck and happy hunting everyone! ;)

#2 gamblers_luck

gamblers_luck

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

It's a good idea what you've done here, I won;t knock you for that, but you need to work on your structure and presentation.   There are also times when you just babble incoherently or just loose the interest of the audience completely. A good try though sir.

#3 Killacam

Killacam

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 34 posts
  • Location:Massachusetts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[(Sc)]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

I have used your guide's before, you always do a very good job. Thanks

#4 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

View Postgamblers_luck, on 07 January 2013 - 05:34 PM, said:

It's a good idea what you've done here, I won;t knock you for that, but you need to work on your structure and presentation.   There are also times when you just babble incoherently or just loose the interest of the audience completely. A good try though sir.

It's not the best video I have ever done but narrating is more difficult than it seems. Especially when you make the video an hour after you wake up in the morning.

Btw it's lose, Loose applies to things like Screws.

#5 gamblers_luck

gamblers_luck

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Grammar Nazi! :-P

#6 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location:Magnus.3907
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Hi, someone already mentioned that you need to work on your narrating, so I won't go into that. If you want a video to become popular/appreciated, maybe you shouldn't record it an hour after you wake up? Atleast not without a couple of cups of coffee.
Also, a true grammar nazi would mention that you've used "too" as opposed to "to" as well as not using a capital "I" where needed (once).

View PostAlmarWinfield, on 07 January 2013 - 06:00 AM, said:

I dislike grouping and I dislike raiding. What i like to do is farm and play with the economies and occasionally PvP when I get bored of farming.

If you watch my video you'll know that this giant nerd knows what he is talking about with economies. You don't even have to watch the video if you don't want too, just pop it open in a different tab and listen in, if you're disappointed I will come to your house and give you a back rub for the time you spent listening to my video, ultimately returning your lost time too you.

I'm also expecing that back rub.

As someone commented over on youtube, this video is entierly built around new recepies being added, making a prediction not only unpredictable but more importantly, unreliable. You should look into things like flipping items (buy on order, sell on order where sellOrder*0,85 > buyOrder). Finding places where that is reliable, that is where I usually invest my gold. This is indeed especially useful when new items are added or new forge recepies are discovered, but it is not a necessity.


Also, English is my second language, so I'm allowed to make grammar/spelling mistakes. :)

Edited by Mr.Kotte, 09 January 2013 - 12:07 PM.


#7 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3311 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostAlmarWinfield, on 08 January 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

It's not the best video I have ever done but narrating is more difficult than it seems. Especially when you make the video an hour after you wake up in the morning.

Btw it's lose, Loose applies to things like Screws.

As someone said before, your earlier guides were very helpfull and this one is so too. :)

Albeit not for daily flipping or money making. :)

Edited by Gilles VI, 09 January 2013 - 12:18 PM.


#8 matsif

matsif

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

helpful for capitalizing on new stuff, but it requires an event to introduce new stuff.  I already knew this and want my back rub.

#9 gamblers_luck

gamblers_luck

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:57 PM

Buy high, sell higher.  You gotta have money to make money. Do dungeons to make 25 gold, throw 20g into the forge making rares and pray for a Dusk.  Worked for me, twice.

#10 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location:Magnus.3907
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

View Postgamblers_luck, on 09 January 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

... throw 20g into the forge making rares and pray for a Dusk.  Worked for me, twice.
Oh man please don't get me on that track again.. 525g later, no Dusk, no Dawn, no nothing.

#11 gamblers_luck

gamblers_luck

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Location:United Kingdom
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostMr.Kotte, on 10 January 2013 - 03:28 PM, said:

Oh man please don't get me on that track again.. 525g later, no Dusk, no Dawn, no nothing.

Scavenger hunt ftw!

#12 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:59 AM

I've added two more videos (ones displaying me speaking instead of Gw2 directly) and also drew some pictures to help explain a few different things within these videos.

Part 1 -

Part 2 -

They both are just as long but it's hard to shorten them (for me at least) because I am very passionate when it comes to talking about things that I love and as odd as it may seem, markets are something I have always loved. I just love the concept of the smallest ripple in the pond can have so many different effects even on the complete opposite end.

If you guys have any questions feel free to shoot me a line on my videos, i always do my best to answer!

#13 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:04 AM

View PostMr.Kotte, on 09 January 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

Hi, someone already mentioned that you need to work on your narrating, so I won't go into that. If you want a video to become popular/appreciated, maybe you shouldn't record it an hour after you wake up? Atleast not without a couple of cups of coffee.
Also, a true grammar nazi would mention that you've used "too" as opposed to "to" as well as not using a capital "I" where needed (once).



I'm also expecing that back rub.

As someone commented over on youtube, this video is entierly built around new recepies being added, making a prediction not only unpredictable but more importantly, unreliable. You should look into things like flipping items (buy on order, sell on order where sellOrder*0,85 > buyOrder). Finding places where that is reliable, that is where I usually invest my gold. This is indeed especially useful when new items are added or new forge recepies are discovered, but it is not a necessity.


Also, English is my second language, so I'm allowed to make grammar/spelling mistakes. :)

You got me on the I but the too you corrected me on was wrong. Mine was right.

Also to address confusion with the first gw2 video (I honestly thought people would see past the simple example I gave them and see the lesson that was engraved in the video; but, they had worse tunnel vision than originally expected). And i do say that in the nicest, most explanatory non derogatory sense possible.

I created a second gw2 related markets video giving more examples that still go over the same lesson I was trying to bestow upon the players.



#14 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Location:Magnus.3907
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:57 AM

View PostAlmarWinfield, on 01 February 2013 - 03:04 AM, said:

You got me on the I but the too you corrected me on was wrong. Mine was right.
Acctually no! http://www.grammar-m...confused/too_to :)

Quote

Too means 'as well' or conveys the idea of 'in excess'.
To is a preposition (e.g., Give it to her.) or is used to show the infinitive form of a verb (e.g., I want to run.)

I would like to say that I did watch your videos on the diffrent kinds of Lodestone farms, which ultimately helped me in the end, so thanks :)
Also, the Onyx Lodestone farm is really reduced in effectiveness since the Orr patch (jan 28th), maybe you could have a look into that?

#15 AlmarWinfield

AlmarWinfield

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Community Contributors
  • 113 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:23 AM

I will take a look, thanks for pointing it out.

Also for all of those interested I created a playlist for my Gw2 videos. Pretty much every video I have made is in there!!

http://www.youtube.c...KFWwFd3EQiGiTLv




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users