• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dannyhavok

Dannyhavok

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

Hi People, Just joined up to the guild wars hype, and I'm enjoying it.
But I'm getting mega low fps and i can see people having the same issue too, so I'm glad I'm not alone :).

My Rig:

Windows 7 64bit
AMD Phenom 2 x6 2.7ghz thats O/C too 3.7ghz.
8gb DDR3 Ram
ATi Radeon HD 5870 x2 xfired

Any help would be awesome :)

#2 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3178 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Screen resolution and define "mega low" fps. Also in what circumstances does this occur?

#3 Kamatsu

Kamatsu

G'day Mate

• Moderators
  • 1476 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Posttijo, on 07 January 2013 - 07:08 PM, said:

Screen resolution and define "mega low" fps. Also in what circumstances does this occur?
As stated, more information would be useful:

- What screen resolution are you playing in?
- What version of ATI/AMD drivers are you using?
- What AMD/ATI Application Cap version are you using?
- Where exactly are you noticing the fps issues? All throughout the game? in WvW? in sPvP? In normal PvE with lots of players around? In PvE when there are no/little players around?
- Do you play in windowed or fullscreen mode?

Have a moderation related issue? Send me a PM

#4 Dannyhavok

Dannyhavok

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

hi people yeah sorry, that would help you. New to this.
im playing in 1920x1080p in full screen mode.

i find the frame rate is quite up and down, some times i can be at 61fps then it can go down as low as 20fps. In the main world of the came and instances.

Ive tried up dating all my drivers and windows says there all upto date.

So if you could talk to me n00b ish haha anymore info you need ill find for you :)

#5 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Make sure you have the latest AMD graphics drivers (version 12.10 is the current latest), windows update has nothing to do with those drivers.
http://support.amd.c...iw_vista64.aspx

Try disabling crossfire and see if performance is better.

What is supersampling set to in the GW2 graphics settings?

Edited by dhatcher1, 08 January 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#6 Dannyhavok

Dannyhavok

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Thats worth a shot. I was on 12.10 but i downloaded the beta for 12.11 last night off there site.

My supersampling is set to Native

Edited by Dannyhavok, 09 January 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#7 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Download MSI Afterburner and enable the OSD (On Screen Display) feature - then run it while playing GW2.  It will show you what % of each GPU is being used at any given time.  That will tell you how well Crossfire is working for you... it also shows the temperature of the video card(s) which would be good to make sure it's not overheating and throttling down, thereby making your FPS drop.

*if all the above checks out ok, try lowering "Reflections" in-game since that and Shadows are the biggest FPS killers for most systems (aside from SuperSampling of course).

#8 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2034 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:47 AM

View PostDannyhavok, on 08 January 2013 - 06:13 PM, said:

i find the frame rate is quite up and down, some times i can be at 61fps then it can go down as low as 20fps. In the main world of the came and instances.

This game can jump around like that a lot, especially since you've got a fairly mediocre processor. 20 fps with that CPU in WvW combat or really crowded places sounds about right. Unfortunately, that's just how the game runs. The best processors available still usually drop to the 30's in those situations.

When you're out in a PvE zone by yourself, though, your dual HD 5870's are able to stretch their legs so your framerates go much higher. 61 fps sounds like you've got vertical sync enabled.

Does that seem to accurately describe the behavior you're seeing?

#9 Dannyhavok

Dannyhavok

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

View Posttypographie, on 10 January 2013 - 06:47 AM, said:

This game can jump around like that a lot, especially since you've got a fairly mediocre processor. 20 fps with that CPU in WvW combat or really crowded places sounds about right. Unfortunately, that's just how the game runs. The best processors available still usually drop to the 30's in those situations.

When you're out in a PvE zone by yourself, though, your dual HD 5870's are able to stretch their legs so your framerates go much higher. 61 fps sounds like you've got vertical sync enabled.

Does that seem to accurately describe the behavior you're seeing?

Yeah that does seem to hit the nail on the head. It never seems to drop less than 30 lately. The worst I've seen it is in the bandit cave in WvW. Seems to drop to about 34. :/

#10 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

Sadly wvw is a CPU killer and has been since release.  The rest of the game should run great on your system on "Best Appearance" settings.

#11 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2034 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostDannyhavok, on 16 January 2013 - 11:08 PM, said:

Yeah that does seem to hit the nail on the head. It never seems to drop less than 30 lately. The worst I've seen it is in the bandit cave in WvW. Seems to drop to about 34. :/

Unfortunately that's about what we all get; 20-30-ish FPS in the worst cases, with the best CPUs out there today still falling to 35 or so. Overclocking further may help if you're able to, but mostly this is something to blame on the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users