Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Massive guide for Fractals of the Mists


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Lopez

Lopez

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Nevermind!!

Edited by Lopez, 16 February 2013 - 09:27 AM.


#2 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2198 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:03 PM

Volcanic Fractal is probably actually the only fractal where necromancers are useful because their marks deal damage through the boss's shield.  Otherwise condition damage simply isn't that useful in Fractals, especially when an engineer can cap the bleeds all by itself.

#3 Lopez

Lopez

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:22 AM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

"The Volcanic Fractal is one of the most difficult in the game"
Honestly I've consistently found that to be one of the easiest Fractals and perhaps one of the only ones when members in PuG's don't die at all O_o.

I suppose it really does vary from person to person though xD.
Great guide though! It's nice to see someone go so in-depth.

At what level? Keep in mind this is being written for lv. 30 and higher.

View PostGuanglaiKangyi, on 07 January 2013 - 10:03 PM, said:

Volcanic Fractal is probably actually the only fractal where necromancers are useful because their marks deal damage through the boss's shield.  Otherwise condition damage simply isn't that useful in Fractals, especially when an engineer can cap the bleeds all by itself.

I disagree. Good groups will make sure they don't have enough bleeders to bleed cap, and then the utility and AOE from condition necromancer is immensely useful.

#4 CepaCepa

CepaCepa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

"The Volcanic Fractal is one of the most difficult in the game"
Honestly I've consistently found that to be one of the easiest Fractals and perhaps one of the only ones when members in PuG's don't die at all O_o.

I suppose it really does vary from person to person though xD.
Great guide though! It's nice to see someone go so in-depth.

At higher levels volcanic becomes problematic for certain group setups. Basically, imagine a LOT more lava elementals spawning for each shield phase, these elementals would each hit a lot harder, and they're significantly harder to kill --- You can no longer hope to kill them with a few burst of aoe and/or just nuke them down as a side benefit, and you can no longer rally with an elemental unless it is at low health. Think AC first spider encounter's initial wave of tiny spiders, except more spiders, hit harder, and more health to each spider.

If there are one or more guardians in the group, it makes this fractal a LOT easier, between all the area projectile reflect and the pull on greatsword, the group can now concentrate to burst down shield while evading lava elemental attacks, and may even be able to aoe the lava elementals to something like half health so you can potentially rally using them.

Mesmer works here too due to feedback, timewarp, and into the void (also mesmer attacks fast for shield). Elementalist focus whirling wind works wonderfully too, along with magnetic aura on staff + powerful aura trait such that the whole team gets some projectile reflection time. But if you've got a group without any area projectile reflect/block, and/or just slow hitters, this fractal can be a real pain.

Additionally, his fire arrow is one of the most frequently casted agony skill out of all bosses, and at higher levels agony resistance doesn't help you anymore, you'll die if you don't dodge it, simply put. But since he cast it so often, sometimes you run out of dodges and have to reserve some immunity skills for it, and/or you simply didn't see it coming (he has such horrible texture, it's hard to see where he is facing. The zoom out also makes it harder to see his animation, though really you do need that zoom out to see the whole area).

#5 Cannot See Me

Cannot See Me

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[IRL]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 07 January 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

"The Volcanic Fractal is one of the most difficult in the game"
Honestly I've consistently found that to be one of the easiest Fractals and perhaps one of the only ones when members in PuG's don't die at all O_o.

I suppose it really does vary from person to person though xD.
Great guide though! It's nice to see someone go so in-depth.

You really should specify what level you are in, because this fight varies greatly in difficulty in different levels. In 35+, yes this actually one of the hardest ones in a way you cant just run in with whatever composition you have and expect to kill it, as of now I would even say it is harder than cliffside.

#6 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2198 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

View PostLopez, on 08 January 2013 - 04:22 AM, said:

I disagree. Good groups will make sure they don't have enough bleeders to bleed cap, and then the utility and AOE from condition necromancer is immensely useful.

If I can cap with a single engineer I'm not going to exclude him to bring two necromancers instead.  A "good" group is going to want to optimize DPS and a necromancer doesn't really fit that role.

#7 Lopez

Lopez

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:57 AM

Bleed cap aside, condition necromancer's DPS is slightly better than or as good as other classes' DPS, and necromancers also have plenty of support and AOE damage.

I've never had any trouble setting up a group to sidestep the bleed cap. In fact, it's actually better to make sure a group only has one condition build. It makes the overall DPS a lot stronger.

Engineers in particular can easily run with rifle instead of pistols. That pretty much removes any problems related to their bleeds.

I agree the bleed cap definitely needs to go, though.

Edited by Lopez, 09 January 2013 - 12:58 AM.


#8 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2198 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:19 AM

View PostLopez, on 09 January 2013 - 12:57 AM, said:

Bleed cap aside, condition necromancer's DPS is slightly better than or as good as other classes' DPS, and necromancers also have plenty of support and AOE damage.

I've never had any trouble setting up a group to sidestep the bleed cap. In fact, it's actually better to make sure a group only has one condition build. It makes the overall DPS a lot stronger.

Engineers in particular can easily run with rifle instead of pistols. That pretty much removes any problems related to their bleeds.

I agree the bleed cap definitely needs to go, though.

What I'm saying is that engineer rifle is weak, while their bleed damage output with pistol or grenades is extremely high.  This is a problem because it means you've got two classes that are reliant almost exclusively on bleed damage for sustained output, so they're in direct competition for the only condition damage slot on the team.  Unfortunately, the engineer tends to win that matchup simply because their bleed output is higher.  Thus, if the necromancer wants to "beat" the engineer it needs to be able to do something that only necromancers can do, and honestly the only thing i can think of is unblockable marks.

#9 Lopez

Lopez

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:32 AM

Engineer bleed output does not beat necromancer bleed output in single-target fights, and it's not remotely close in AOE situations.

And rifle is fine, especially for a support build.

Edited by Lopez, 09 January 2013 - 04:33 AM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users