• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Isle of Janthir: Tale of the Out-manned Server.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Junglizm

Junglizm

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FURY]
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

Isle of Janthir has a long history of fighting tooth and nail to sustain itself in the upper ranks of competitive servers.  Our server has endured one of the toughest positions in WvW.  For most of the month of September, we endured brutal fights against Tier 1 servers that had rotated out of T1 for a fresh match up.  With their overwhelming T1 coverage, our guilds faced unrelenting masses week after week.

October brought new hope for Isle of Janthir.  A decisive victory in T2 and a small influx of new blood, with guilds like Team Legacy [TL] bolstering our server.  Our respite proved to be fleeting however, as power house guilds from now prominent servers moved up the ranks.  A single week in T1 proved to be virtually identical to the T2 matches we had grown so used to.  And endless flow of reinforcements clawing down our towers and keeps as we tried to scrounge whatever points we could.

This hard march though the Mist War's upper ranks proved a double edged sword.  Guilds like Avatar Dynasty [AVTR], Never Die [ND] and Valor [RUN] became efficient killing machines, learning from the tactics of their enemies and adapting themselves to fight against larger numbers with ruthless efficiency.  On the other hand, 1 clear victory over the course of many months and a very brief trip into T1 was slowly taking its toll on the server.  Guilds who will not be named here, took to looking for greener pastures.  Some looked up the ranks, in search of more consistant action.  Others looked down the ranks, in an attempt to gain notoriery by lifting a lower ranked server to new heights.  Some prominent commanders took indefinite leaves of absence and with no prospect of talented relief to help pick up the slack when they are not around.  The harsh reality of facing top tier competition, lightly armed and with massive coverage gaps has been bleeding our server dry.  Only the battle hardened veterans remain as we press on.

Even the most seasoned veterans are susceptible to burnout though and Isle of Janthir is currently in a brutal T3 battle, trying to claw its way back to the upper tiers.  Last week, we finished 2nd, after a desperate battle kept the margin between the server to less than 20k between 1st, 2nd and 3rd, the closest match across all server pairings.  This weeks battle is even closer, with margins of victory still within 10k between each server, still maintaining the most pitched battle across all servers.

If you are interested in a hard fighting, proven WvW community with more high level experience than man power, you can come check out our community at forums: isleofjanthir.net

We maintain high guild participation in weekly WvW planning meetings.

We also hold occasional tactical discussion meetings with high guild participation scheduled as needed.

Isle of Janthir is no stranger to coverage holes. What we do have:
  • A very strong contingent of East Coast NA players.
  • One of the most coordinated Oceanic Crews in WvW.
  • We also host one of the most dedicated Asian WvW guilds in the game.
  • A number of international guilds that field small teams around the clock.
Our West Coast NA and Euro coverage gaps have always been vast.  Considering our gaps, I am amazed we have maintained our ranking for as long as we have.

But enough talk, if you wanna see what Isle of Janthir is about check out the following vidoes:

Avatar Dynasty [AVTR] doing some mesmer bombing

Some mixed group and solo action with Armored Fist [FIST]

Flashypants from Armored Fist [FIST] trolling a enemy commander

Crazy Golem Action in Eternal Battleground

You might be thinking we are empty war torn server bereft of humor, then your catch one of our illustrious Valor [RUN] commanders playing Jingle Bell's in Lion's Arch

I am not going to turn this into long list of guild shoutouts as Isle of Janthir guilds need no such accolades.  We have all worked hard developing our community and we have faith in our leadership but every server could use a bump in man power.  We have no desire to be catapulted to T1 by a mass exodus of prominent guilds.  What we do desire, however, is players willing to face challenging matches in a veteran community that often faces uphill battles.

Edited by Junglizm, 08 January 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#2 lollasaurus

lollasaurus

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Best of luck recruiting!

#3 MikeSr

MikeSr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 287 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

This would make an awesome recruitment video

#4 PvPD00R

PvPD00R

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:04 PM

All these recruitment threads gave me a humerous idea.

Mercenary Guilds! A guild that will come to your server in exchange of a a pre-arranged fee! They will fight bleed and die for you, all for a handful of gold and siege equipment!

What could be better? Imagine this.

Server A. Hires Mercenary guild. Mercenary guild helps lead them from T3 to T1 and then in a brutal T1 match, where Server A has the PPT lead and overall point advantage....A clandestine meetings between Server C and Mercenary Guild are held. Mid Week Mercenary Guild flips servers and rolls Server A and collects handsomely from Server C.

I could only imagine the fun that would be on the boards.

Any true Mercenary guilds out there, and are there any server that would contribute towards such a guild!?

#5 Ngamok

Ngamok

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 165 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RvL]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

Good luck guys.  Player base is smaller now than then.

#6 Jacbo

Jacbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[RUN]

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

View PostMikeSr, on 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

Nice video. Not really the right thread for it, but it's pretty funny. Just goes to show what organization can do against disorganized groups. We've done much the same in chokes like Vale supply against FA.

Pretty sure I recognize some of your tags as well, and have had some decent small group fights with your crew. A couple elementalists and an engineer, as I recall. Fun fights, even though there was quite a disparity in small group spec viability.

#7 Freelancer

Freelancer

Team Legacy

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 641 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TL]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

Regardless of server, I have a special respect for guilds (on any server) still trying to keep things organized with the mass exodus we've witnessed in GW2 WvW. Many fair-weathered guilds came at launch and left before things even really began.

Props to all still here on IOJ as well, seriously.

To anyone thinking about it, we can't promise the most organized or highest coverage venue, but we can certainly guarantee an environment where the participants respect the game more than their own egos. We will continue to hold strong spirit, while doing our best to keep the game fun.

Edited by Freelancer, 09 January 2013 - 01:17 AM.

ArenaJunkies Editor || www.twitch.tv/fr3elancer Streamer || Tales Of Tyria Co-Host

#8 Kurthos

Kurthos

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Work]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:39 AM

Heres to hoping that IoJ someday makes it back to Tier 1.

I miss wiping TL's survival stacks with my militia or "disorganized PuGs" :)

#9 chefwaffle

chefwaffle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:45 AM

View PostPvPD00R, on 08 January 2013 - 09:04 PM, said:

All these recruitment threads gave me a humerous idea.

Mercenary Guilds! A guild that will come to your server in exchange of a a pre-arranged fee! They will fight bleed and die for you, all for a handful of gold and siege equipment!

What could be better? Imagine this.

Server A. Hires Mercenary guild. Mercenary guild helps lead them from T3 to T1 and then in a brutal T1 match, where Server A has the PPT lead and overall point advantage....A clandestine meetings between Server C and Mercenary Guild are held. Mid Week Mercenary Guild flips servers and rolls Server A and collects handsomely from Server C.

I could only imagine the fun that would be on the boards.

Any true Mercenary guilds out there, and are there any server that would contribute towards such a guild!?
I believe that wouldn't work on popular servers (tiers 1-9) unless they all have the patience to camp and wait for the server to free up some space.

#10 Kurthos

Kurthos

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 154 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Work]

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:23 AM

I know that MERC from SOS will come to your server temporarily if you pay them enough :)

#11 Cake is Cake

Cake is Cake

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ET]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostMikeSr, on 08 January 2013 - 08:33 PM, said:

4 people killing 7 people at a chokepoint isn't as impressive as half the stuff I do everyday

#12 Pyraeus

Pyraeus

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 38 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

IoJ is an alright server, has less people but equal WvW'ers and have found a new home in T3.

#13 Jacbo

Jacbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

View PostPyraeus, on 09 January 2013 - 02:45 PM, said:

IoJ is an alright server, has less people but equal WvW'ers and have found a new home in T3.

If you mean overall population, IoJ is consistently one of the heaviest populated servers, actually (and unfortunately). With the addition of cross-server Overflow maps however, it's become increasingly difficult to distinguish people on the home server from other servers when it comes to PvE, which has the byproduct of making it nearly impossible for us to turn the majority of our PvE population into WvW participants. Hopefully Overflow goes back to the way it was, and guesting gets introduced, in one of the future patches.

#14 Kor

Kor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[DC]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

IoJ has been a worthy opponent ever since the 24 hour matches at launch.  Much luck and many badges to IoJ'ers!

#15 Rosen Von Seraphil

Rosen Von Seraphil

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RIOT]

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I do not believe IoJ is lacking in populations, every time I look at server pop charts, IoJ is always full. That being said, I do believe they are starting to suffer in the WvW department, just from what I saw being on the IoJ server, then facing them when I rejoined my GW1 guild on CD.

However, I do find it difficult to sympathize when a signifigant portion of the people on their own server tell them to stop camping the jumping puzzle and actually do something productive in EB like defend towers underattack or . . . actually attack something.

#16 Jacbo

Jacbo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:22 AM

View PostRosen Von Seraphil, on 12 January 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

However, I do find it difficult to sympathize when a signifigant portion of the people on their own server tell them to stop camping the jumping puzzle and actually do something productive in EB like defend towers underattack or . . . actually attack something.

So we have some unresponsive PUGs that do things which aren't particularly productive? Welcome to every server in the game. :P

#17 EvilSinzGW2

EvilSinzGW2

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 169 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PUG]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

This brought a tear to my eye .......

#18 Voison

Voison

Team Legacy

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 560 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[TL]

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

I love IoJ's community. ^_^
[TL] Voison ~ 내 원수,에 대한 경례
Voison ~ Asura ~ 80 ~ Warrior ~
picture

#19 Teeliee

Teeliee

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VoTF]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Speaking as an ex-member of IoJ; IoJ had (and probably still has) a great community. Really friendly and helpful people.

Edited by Teeliee, 14 January 2013 - 04:44 PM.

#20 Johny Bravo

Johny Bravo

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

While I know you can't fault a whole server for the actions of a few, my first impression of the individuals (not the zerg) of IoJ wasn't favorable.
CD was camping the top of the arena in the EB jump puzzle.  Both FA (my server) and IoJ had people trying to get up.  In what I though was an act of good faith we worked together to force the CD players off the ledge and finally worked our way to the top to take them out while not killing each other.  Then as I went to run up the stairs some DB IoJ warrior, feared me and 2 other FA guys off the edge.  I was pretty pissed off at that point as I was the one who was pulling the CD down for them so they could get up in the first place but though maybe it was an accident.  I worked my way back through the dark room and they they were camping the JP, so overall not a good first impression for me.

#21 BnJ

BnJ

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MARK]
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:17 PM

View PostJohny Bravo, on 14 January 2013 - 05:06 PM, said:

While I know you can't fault a whole server for the actions of a few, my first impression of the individuals (not the zerg) of IoJ wasn't favorable.
CD was camping the top of the arena in the EB jump puzzle.  Both FA (my server) and IoJ had people trying to get up.  In what I though was an act of good faith we worked together to force the CD players off the ledge and finally worked our way to the top to take them out while not killing each other.  Then as I went to run up the stairs some DB IoJ warrior, feared me and 2 other FA guys off the edge.  I was pretty pissed off at that point as I was the one who was pulling the CD down for them so they could get up in the first place but though maybe it was an accident.  I worked my way back through the dark room and they they were camping the JP, so overall not a good first impression for me.

Well you'll find gankers from all servers doing this.

I only recently did the JP there a couple weeks back and had a good experience with both CD & FA.  It's just the luck of the draw who you find down there.

#22 fatrodmc

fatrodmc

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 98 posts
  • Guild Tag:[uA]

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:45 PM

Despite what you might see in the population lists our server is pretty low on WvW participants. We are strongly out manned against CD and FA in the current match up.

A few well organised guilds would really turn things around for us.

#23 mozambique

mozambique

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 8 posts
  • Guild Tag:[QQ]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

IoJ is a great server and has a great WvW community, especially when we have the numbers.  

...you shouldn't judge a server based on what happens in the JP...

#24 Reason on Cooldown

Reason on Cooldown

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:04 AM

Well with the beginning of the farming for my Legendary, I have begun to appear in WvWvW for the first time since beta.  And that's got to count for like at least 50 guys, right? lol

And just last week, I brought my whole guild in with me........unfortunately, the other guy's mobo just died. :D

Hope to see IoJ return to greatness.  It was depressing yesterday seeing CD hold nearly 50% of the maps, and we could barely hold together our borderlands.  But I have faith.  And have been IoJ proud since beta 1. :cool:

#25 Naskapi

Naskapi

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[rare]

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:11 AM

The fact that IOJ has been falling over time is more a sign of how WvW as a whole is doing.

WvW has become cold and efficient. The top tiers do not change much and if they do it is not drastic. The guilds in those servers have streamlined their actions to the point where most matchups are pretty even. Also bringing in new recruits to fill in gaps has been very important. IoJ doesn't really have that.

It started out strong with a hearty crew and some great leaders and just slowly hemorrhaged all its life away.
There are no more of the charismatic server leaders to rally around it seems.

I just feel sad for IoJ. It doesn't really deserve the hands its been recently dealt, but maybe ANET can breath new life into WvW and revitalize the server come February.

#26 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2216 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

View Postfatrodmc, on 14 January 2013 - 11:45 PM, said:

Despite what you might see in the population lists our server is pretty low on WvW participants. We are strongly out manned against CD and FA in the current match up.

A few well organised guilds would really turn things around for us.

Whenever I'm in EB as FA, we have Outmanned buff.  Also, you guys have a straight-up zerg in the jumping puzzle pretty much all the time.  I've killed more IoJ in the jumping puzzle (and I only fight the ones that attack me first) than I have on the surface, I think.

#27 Junglizm

Junglizm

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FURY]

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostGuanglaiKangyi, on 15 January 2013 - 08:50 AM, said:

Whenever I'm in EB as FA, we have Outmanned buff.  Also, you guys have a straight-up zerg in the jumping puzzle pretty much all the time.  I've killed more IoJ in the jumping puzzle (and I only fight the ones that attack me first) than I have on the surface, I think.

That would explain the lack of an outmanned buff during a large CD siege in our borderlands throughout the week in PST primetime....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users