2 replies to this topic

#1 Italyguy08

Italyguy08

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

I have a lenovo ideapad y570, my main question is this, I know that keeping my laptop connected to a power source reduces battery life, so I was wondering if I could just keep my laptop plugged in and remove the battery? Will this affect game performance at all?

#2 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:02 AM

I don't think it will work at all..
I'm not exactly a tech genius or anything, but my understanding was that when you plug your laptop in you are connecting a circuit to the battery. If you remove the battery then plugging in is no longer connecting the circuit, and therefore absolutely nothing would happen.

Also, what kind of battery does it have? Most laptops should have Li-ion batteries in which case it doesn't actually matter too much if you plug in and play as long as you're using the laptop. Li-ion batteries actually last best when there is power constantly moving through them, either in or out (as in being charged or being used) and they should never sit unused or fully drained.

#3 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:06 AM

Normally modern laptops are set to prevent battery degradation even if the laptop is plugged in for some time. That said, if you're planning on leaving it plugged in non stop for a few months, then I'd remove the battery.

EDIT: In reply to above post.

Removing the battery will not affect anything aside from the fact that if you unplug the laptop when it's on, it will shut down immediately. It will not prevent the laptop from powering up.

Li-Ion batterys have a finite amount of charge/discharge cycles. As such, you don't want to have current always flowing through it, laptops will stop charging the battery once it's full and will start charging once it gets down to a certain level. Asus laptops start charging once the battery hits 95% if the laptop is already plugged in. for Thinkpads, you can actually set the charging threshold. fully draining it is a bad idea, that much is true, however, you will have to fully discharge it eventually to recalibrate it, but you'll know it's time because you'll get low battery alerts and you'll still be able to use the laptop for some time before it dies (more time than it should take if the battery was really at that low charge level).

Edited by tijo, 09 January 2013 - 02:12 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users