• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Peel

Peel

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

I am tanky support AH & EM in high level fractals, but I also have a passion for WvW. In WvW, I find zerging pretty unfulfilling. I have much more fun roaming around with 1-3 other close friends and fighting small skirmishes.

Honestly, Guardians are absolutely awful at the niche I am interested. Shout support, swiftness, team buffs is not really fun or great unless you're in a larger group. Hammer is not fun at all in these small skirmishes. My friend I play with who I know irl is an axe/shield warrior with a disgusting amount of simultaneous burst and survivability. We come out on top of pretty much every 2v4 situation in WvW, but he is literally doing all the work. I soak damage while he kills everyone. If he goes down, it is completely over.

Basically, I don't want to be dead weight anymore using my fractal PvE build in WvW since it's not working at all. I want to be able to actually contribute to our fights. I was going to reroll d/d ele or thief until I found this:

http://en.gw2skills....Nuak1soYQxmgJBA

It's a double meditation build by Master Eriko. I am very interested in rolling this in WvW as it seems incredibly powerful with lots of depth. It seems to fit my niche of 1v1s, 2v2s, and just general heavy aggro duelist w/ survivability. I particularly like all the stun breaking, teleporting, and instant casts. I need some advice for someone currently using this build in WvW.

My questions are:

1) Has this build significantly changed in former patches? The build was created in mid-September, and I couldn't find a site with all the guardian patch notes explicitly listed so I thought someone else could give us a hand. If it's hella nerfed I'm going to make a WvW alt.

2) The guide is aimed towards PvP, and gear is not explicitly listed for WvW. Can someone explain to me what set would be best to use? Money is not an issue. Armor set, runes, and trinkets would be awesome.

Thanks to any help -- I really appreciate it.

#2 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

meditations has not been changed much (if at all), the only thing that's changed from then till now (that relates to meditations) is the max hp on guardian I believe

#3 Ojimaru

Ojimaru

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 51 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HIRE]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:48 AM

1) Has this build significantly changed in former patches? The build was created in mid-September, and I couldn't find a site with all the guardian patch notes explicitly listed so I thought someone else could give us a hand. If it's hella nerfed I'm going to make a WvW alt.
Nothing has changed through the patches.

2) The guide is aimed towards PvP, and gear is not explicitly listed for WvW. Can someone explain to me what set would be best to use? Money is not an issue. Armor set, runes, and trinkets would be awesome.
If you want to follow the build you linked, the Power/Vitality/Toughness items can be gathered with Ascalonian Catacombs and Honour of the Waves dungeon tokens. Berserker trinkets can be crafted or bought from Trading Post. Runes of Divinity and the listed Sigils are available in the TP

#4 Anzuri

Anzuri

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HIRE]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:48 AM

View PostPeel, on 09 January 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

I am tanky support AH & EM in high level fractals, but I also have a passion for WvW. In WvW, I find zerging pretty unfulfilling. I have much more fun roaming around with 1-3 other close friends and fighting small skirmishes.

Honestly, Guardians are absolutely awful at the niche I am interested. Shout support, swiftness, team buffs is not really fun or great unless you're in a larger group. Hammer is not fun at all in these small skirmishes. My friend I play with who I know irl is an axe/shield warrior with a disgusting amount of simultaneous burst and survivability. We come out on top of pretty much every 2v4 situation in WvW, but he is literally doing all the work. I soak damage while he kills everyone. If he goes down, it is completely over.

Basically, I don't want to be dead weight anymore using my fractal PvE build in WvW since it's not working at all. I want to be able to actually contribute to our fights. I was going to reroll d/d ele or thief until I found this:

It's a double meditation build by Master Eriko. I am very interested in rolling this in WvW as it seems incredibly powerful with lots of depth. It seems to fit my niche of 1v1s, 2v2s, and just general heavy aggro duelist w/ survivability. I particularly like all the stun breaking, teleporting, and instant casts. I need some advice for someone currently using this build in WvW.

My questions are:

Have you considered that one of the main reasons your warrior mate is surviving and the reason you are winning those battles is because you are taking the agro whilst assisting his survivability through your shouts heals, condition removals etc? Just consider that when you change builds as it might affect your dynamic as a team.

Saying that though the build you linked does does look okay for some survivability though. But you are right we do lack damage and mobility.

#5 JaxSilven

JaxSilven

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Guild Tag:[nD]
  • Server:Anvil Rock

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 AM

View PostPeel, on 09 January 2013 - 09:58 AM, said:

My questions are:

That build is way out of date.
http://gw2skills.net...Nuak1s YYxOiJBA
This one is the current meta roam Guard. Does more damage, wayy more armour, with slightly less hp and crit chance, which isn't needed anyway.
CoP/Bane/Hammer/Wrath as your optionals over SYG.

In WvW get mostly soldier's with zerka weapons, would be a good idea. I even go soldier's on my scepter shield set for more defence when I swap.

#6 asmodess

asmodess

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 20 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

As far as your post about how hammer guardians are not fun or that great in small scale fights,  i`d direct you to this guy`s vids .

I1ve been watching Raggok  aka  oozo vids  on and off since 2009 in warhammer  he always has some good fights .

https://twitter.com/Raggok

Edited by asmodess, 20 January 2013 - 06:20 PM.

#7 JaxSilven

JaxSilven

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:52 PM

View Postasmodess, on 20 January 2013 - 06:17 PM, said:

As far as your post about how hammer guardians are not fun or that great in small scale fights,  i`d direct you to this guy`s vids .

I1ve been watching Raggok  aka  oozo vids  on and off since 2009 in warhammer  he always has some good fights .

https://twitter.com/Raggok

This puts me off wvw =S

#8 animalmom

animalmom

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

why do i continually see focused mind?  Is it really worth a master level skill to save 1/4 second on smite condition?  Wouldn't retributive armor, defender's flame, or purity be better?

Edited by animalmom, 31 January 2013 - 11:26 PM.

#9 JaxSilven

JaxSilven

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

View Postanimalmom, on 31 January 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

why do i continually see focused mind?  Is it really worth a master level skill to save 1/4 second on smite condition?  Wouldn't retributive armor, defender's flame, or purity be better?

It's a choice between that and purity. A lot of people run it simply because it improves your meditation, ignore that logic completely. It can instantly remove a condition (poison before it's covered) and can stack ontop of your whirling or any other damage to surprise enemies with extra damage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users