Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 2 votes

Casual player taking a break


  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 youknowho

youknowho

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

I'm a casual player that loved GW1 and started out loving GW2. I've run into enough things that have slowly turned playing this game from enjoyable to frustrating and uninteresting, to the point that I'm taking a break altogether. Here they are:
  • Trading Post - non-refundable listing fees
    I was lucky enough to get a pre-cursor (Storm). Being a casual player I knew that I'd never grind enough to craft the legendary so I listed it on the TP, for less than the only other listing. The listing fee was 3g+, half of all of my savings. Within a week five more Storms have been listed, all for less than mine, and with the looming increased drops of pre-cursors I'll probably not be able to sell this unless I re-list it. See next point.


  • Trading Post - lowering the price of an item requires re-listing and paying another listing fee
    This is ridiculous and the game's most blatant mechanic designed to whittle away our bank accounts that I've seen. If we list an item that drops in price after listing we should be able to lower the price without re-listing and paying new listing fees. At that point we've already paid a higher listing fee than that of a lower priced item; no need to double-dip into our bank accounts Anet.

  • Inflation - Anet has zero incentive to curb the gold to gem exchange rate
    The higher the the gold to gem exchange rate gets, the more likely Anet is to have players buy gems with real-world money. I keep picturing their economist kicking back, watching this exchange rate, and saying "Go baby go!" Many common items are becoming too expensive to buy with gold for the casual player. See next point.

  • Fine transmutation stones - gem store exclusive
    I've run out of fine transmutation stones for my main character, let alone having any available for alts that I'd want to level. To buy 10 fine transmutation stones for 360 gems at a gold to gem exchange rate of 1g 64s 23c per 100 gems it's going to cost you 5g+. I wish I had that much left in my bank account, but I listed a pre-cursor in the Trading Post that isn't selling.

  • Bugs - more than ever
    Since launch the number of bugs that I've run into has increased. This is the only game I've seen this happen in. Stuck animations, loud repeating sounds that ignore my volume settings and sound like a kid with no rhythm playing tablas, fractals disconnects, attacking an enemy being randomly stopped, targeting the closest enemy usually targets an enemy further away, etc. GW1 was super solid in comparison, even at launch, and never felt this shaky.

  • Fractals - all your players are belong to us
    So many pve zones are dead at this point, and this is on a full Jade Quarry server. They may as well be instances like in GW1. The Fractals’ gear grind and payout has moved such a large portion of the player base into them that it's hard to complete dynamic event chains or find a group for a story dungeon run. See next point.

  • Grouping - use gw2lfg.com
    Why are we forced to use an external website to find groups this many months into launch? Anet's dev resources seem stretched thin so they probably breathed a sigh of relief when gw2lfg.com sprang up, but this should be in the game. No excuses.

  • Fractals - ascended items
    The devs keep weighing in on this topic, trying to convince us that they haven't gone back on any pre-launch promises about grind and hours of play required to get the best gear and remain competitive. It isn't working. A casual player getting infused ascended gear is going to take a big time commitment and can only be done in Fractals. Get ready to play the same content over and over again!

  • Playing with casual gamers - good luck
    My friend is an even more casual gamer than I am. We've played enough games together that I know he probably won't get a character to level 80. So forget about WvW, most dungeons, and Fractals. He's not interested in spvp so that's also out. This makes it hard to recommend GW2 to him and for us to play together.
Don't get me wrong, the game’s not all bad and GW2 does have some excellent ideas in it. Unfortunately the impression I've gotten is that management (and not the devs) is calling the shots. Launch felt rushed (the Trading Post is coming, we promise!) and the game hasn't completely recovered from it. The game’s built-in money-sucking mechanics range from understandable (armor repair, waypoints) to ridiculous (re-list fees on the Trading Post), and these “cost” moments occur too frequently.

All-in-all Guild War$ 2 feels like a free-to-play game, except that I bought it. And now we're supposed to buy gems with real-world money so we can afford to re-list items in the Trading Post and buy fine transmutation stones to keep a few skins that we like? Nope. I'm done.


#2 deitiesforce

deitiesforce

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 416 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DA]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:19 AM

I stopped playing like 3 weeks ago. I just check now and then to see if there's new stuff that will interest me. This is not a bad game, just not really my kind of game. Taking break is totally fine, shouldn't force yourself to play something that makes you frustrated lol

#3 AsadPANDA

AsadPANDA

    Fahrar Cub

  • New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

I am completely out of mood from playing too, two of my best friends got banned recently and although i was enjoying the game Anet recent decisions are just pushing me away, i hate fractals but ascended stuff is there for example.. i don´t like pugs and some guildies are missing too, this game is depressing and im leaving. Thank god for Planetside 2.

#4 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

I can perfectly understand your feeling. Not just confirming every single point you made , but the worst part, we paid this junk. This is what drives me angry. The perfect common knowledge by anyone of us that all of us has just been scammed and this damned company is not gonna pay the proper price in a tribunal for sell this shit. Even scamming his customer more on their store, too.
Bugs well, is a funny topic, because other games and forgotten junkmmo passed this phase. Basically, when a game is overbugged at launch ,and next patches are overbugged adding bugs, it's an endless chain unrecoverable (if not investing an incredible amount of resources, money, and staff) just to make it stand again on his feet. Wouldn't surprise me at all the day the game is totally unplayable to the state to not even be worthy to log scared maybe your bag slot content is gonna disappear, or god knows what other kind of trash. Killing the game. It's just a slow death, a matter of time.

Feel free to keep somewhere your account for the day maybe things are better, or if in time ask a refund. May your next game be something way better and worthy of your time, and mostly, of your money. If you need suggestions about where to move, i have some pretty cool suggestion for you, very well worthy, trust me :)

Edited by Lucas Ashrock, 13 January 2013 - 05:14 PM.


#5 Lurker14ownz

Lurker14ownz

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 110 posts
  • Guild Tag:[VexX]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

View PostLucas Ashrock, on 13 January 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

I can perfectly understand your feeling. Not just confirming every single point you made , but the worst part, we paid this junk. This is what drives me angry. The perfect common knowledge by anyone of us that all of us has just been scammed and this damned company is not gonna pay the proper price in a tribunal for sell this shit.

Someone doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.. 99% of the player base has gotten hundreds of hours out of this game for what 60 dollars? Go buy another game for 60 dollars with no sub fee and get that many hours. Its a good game, yes it has its problems but don't they all?

#6 Serris

Serris

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

View PostLurker14ownz, on 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Someone doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.. 99% of the player base has gotten hundreds of hours out of this game for what 60 dollars? Go buy another game for 60 dollars with no sub fee and get that many hours. Its a good game, yes it has its problems but don't they all?

funny how you say the other guy has no clue, and then you proceed to pull some random numbers out of your ass.

#7 Lucas Ashrock

Lucas Ashrock

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Banned
  • 1000 posts
  • Location:Asia, always around

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Lol, he doesn't even deserve any more answers. ^_^

#8 Eon Lilu

Eon Lilu

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2295 posts
  • Location:UK
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

View Postyouknowho, on 12 January 2013 - 09:38 PM, said:

I'm a casual player that loved GW1 and started out loving GW2. I've run into enough things that have slowly turned playing this game from enjoyable to frustrating and uninteresting, to the point that I'm taking a break altogether. Here they are:
  • Trading Post - non-refundable listing fees
    I was lucky enough to get a pre-cursor (Storm). Being a casual player I knew that I'd never grind enough to craft the legendary so I listed it on the TP, for less than the only other listing. The listing fee was 3g+, half of all of my savings. Within a week five more Storms have been listed, all for less than mine, and with the looming increased drops of pre-cursors I'll probably not be able to sell this unless I re-list it. See next point.


  • Trading Post - lowering the price of an item requires re-listing and paying another listing fee
    This is ridiculous and the game's most blatant mechanic designed to whittle away our bank accounts that I've seen. If we list an item that drops in price after listing we should be able to lower the price without re-listing and paying new listing fees. At that point we've already paid a higher listing fee than that of a lower priced item; no need to double-dip into our bank accounts Anet.

  • Inflation - Anet has zero incentive to curb the gold to gem exchange rate
    The higher the the gold to gem exchange rate gets, the more likely Anet is to have players buy gems with real-world money. I keep picturing their economist kicking back, watching this exchange rate, and saying "Go baby go!" Many common items are becoming too expensive to buy with gold for the casual player. See next point.

  • Fine transmutation stones - gem store exclusive
    I've run out of fine transmutation stones for my main character, let alone having any available for alts that I'd want to level. To buy 10 fine transmutation stones for 360 gems at a gold to gem exchange rate of 1g 64s 23c per 100 gems it's going to cost you 5g+. I wish I had that much left in my bank account, but I listed a pre-cursor in the Trading Post that isn't selling.

  • Bugs - more than ever
    Since launch the number of bugs that I've run into has increased. This is the only game I've seen this happen in. Stuck animations, loud repeating sounds that ignore my volume settings and sound like a kid with no rhythm playing tablas, fractals disconnects, attacking an enemy being randomly stopped, targeting the closest enemy usually targets an enemy further away, etc. GW1 was super solid in comparison, even at launch, and never felt this shaky.

  • Fractals - all your players are belong to us
    So many pve zones are dead at this point, and this is on a full Jade Quarry server. They may as well be instances like in GW1. The Fractals’ gear grind and payout has moved such a large portion of the player base into them that it's hard to complete dynamic event chains or find a group for a story dungeon run. See next point.

  • Grouping - use gw2lfg.com
    Why are we forced to use an external website to find groups this many months into launch? Anet's dev resources seem stretched thin so they probably breathed a sigh of relief when gw2lfg.com sprang up, but this should be in the game. No excuses.

  • Fractals - ascended items
    The devs keep weighing in on this topic, trying to convince us that they haven't gone back on any pre-launch promises about grind and hours of play required to get the best gear and remain competitive. It isn't working. A casual player getting infused ascended gear is going to take a big time commitment and can only be done in Fractals. Get ready to play the same content over and over again!

  • Playing with casual gamers - good luck
    My friend is an even more casual gamer than I am. We've played enough games together that I know he probably won't get a character to level 80. So forget about WvW, most dungeons, and Fractals. He's not interested in spvp so that's also out. This makes it hard to recommend GW2 to him and for us to play together.
Don't get me wrong, the game’s not all bad and GW2 does have some excellent ideas in it. Unfortunately the impression I've gotten is that management (and not the devs) is calling the shots. Launch felt rushed (the Trading Post is coming, we promise!) and the game hasn't completely recovered from it. The game’s built-in money-sucking mechanics range from understandable (armor repair, waypoints) to ridiculous (re-list fees on the Trading Post), and these “cost” moments occur too frequently.

All-in-all Guild War$ 2 feels like a free-to-play game, except that I bought it. And now we're supposed to buy gems with real-world money so we can afford to re-list items in the Trading Post and buy fine transmutation stones to keep a few skins that we like? Nope. I'm done.


This is what alot of others are starting to see and you didn't even mention alot more than is wrong at the moment with GW2, it's a shame. Your right though, Anet and the dev's are obviously not calling the shots anymore. Does feel like a ftp game and management / sales teams seem to have gutted it to pieces and taking it into a direction that noone wants to see it go. :(

#9 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3256 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostLurker14ownz, on 13 January 2013 - 05:19 PM, said:

Someone doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.. 99% of the player base has gotten hundreds of hours out of this game for what 60 dollars? Go buy another game for 60 dollars with no sub fee and get that many hours. Its a good game, yes it has its problems but don't they all?

I've put more hours into GW2 than I put into Orcs Must Die!, Orcs Must Die! 2, Diablo 3, Portal and Portal 2 COMBINED, yet I love those each of those games more than I'll ever be able to love GW2.

Contrary to what the MMO-folks think, a game having an end IS a good thing. And GW2 would have been SO much better if it simply came to an end.

#10 DerekUrban

DerekUrban

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

I have a hard time disagreeing with anything in your post. Personally, I took a long break just a couple weeks after the introduction of FotM. The game seemed to be heading down a point I really didn't like at that point. GW2 feels like a great f2p game with how they push the shop, and what's worse (to me) is that after saying "It'll be released only when it's ready" for YEARS, they release it in a profoundly unready state. I can definitely feel the management/sales team taking control of the majority of the game decisions, and that just makes me sad.

One thing that you forgot that is one of my biggest concerns is PvP. sPvP, tPvP and WvWvW are horrendously under-developed, and it's hemorrhaging players. One game mode, no dueling, no rewards, barely balanced, and given no love... it's a shame.

I hang around though, cause I do still have hope. I'll start playing again when it's a full game, but not now when it's more akin to a long beta marketing ploy. When I see the patch that fixes the bugs that affect the player constantly, a lot of PvP love, finished activities and a significant reduction in money-grab aspects I'll gladly return. Until then, I watch and wait. Unfortunately, I feel like I might be waiting a long time.

#11 Khalija

Khalija

    Leaf on the Wind

  • Administrators
  • Curse Premium
  • 4178 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

Closing this because it's an "I quit" thread. We have several threads that talk about the issues outlined above, please use those instead.

Feel free to PM me if you have a question regarding moderation, want to leave some feedback, or just want to chat!





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users