• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CookiesNCreamXP

CookiesNCreamXP

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:31 PM

Hey guys I was thinking of buying a Laptop to play GW2 on High with minimum lag. Obviously Laptops cant run WvW on 30 FPS or More since they dont use Graphics CArd just intergrated graphics but some "Expensive" ones can actually run WvW on High very smoothly.

Sadly. I am poor. And I can only manage to buy at the range of 1000-1500$ anything more would probably kill me.

In any case I stumbled upon this cool new~ish laptop that I can afford I would like to know if:

I can run GW2 on High Settings With Minimum Lag at a FPS of 30 or highier
Would I see cool graphics?
Would it be worth the money. In my case?

Thanks and Here is the spec for the laptop

New Inspiron 15 Price 1399$ (I live in New Zealand)

Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3517U processor (4M Cache, up to 3.0 GHz, with 2GB Discrete base) Operating System Windows 8, English (64bit) Display 15.6 inch LED Backlit Display with True Life and HD resolution (1366 x 768) Memory2 4GB 1 DIMM (4GB x1) DDR3 1600Mhz Hard Drive 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive Video Card AMD Radeon™ HD 8730M with 2G DDR3 VRAM Optical Drive Tray load DVD Drive (Reads and Writes DVD) Warranty 1 Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote Diagnosis Advertised System Weight 2.25kg3

#2 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

No offense, but why insisting on a laptop? For $1000-1500 you could probably get a high-end desktop computer being able to run GW2, very, VERY well. In fact, I'd be surprised if you couldn't max GW2 with a rig for $1500.

Edited by Mr.Kotte, 14 January 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3325 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

View PostCookiesNCreamXP, on 13 January 2013 - 08:31 PM, said:

Obviously Laptops cant run WvW on 30 FPS or More since they dont use Graphics CArd just intergrated graphics ....
Some laptops only use 'integrated' graphics, but that doesn't mean they all do. For example, the Inspiron you are considering uses an ATI HD8730m, which, while not a 'card' per se, is a discrete graphics 'chip' as opposed to 'integrated'. It's like a 'card' without the connector part. :)

Given the resolution of that laptop (1366x768) it should be able to run GW2 quite well - not 'max' but mid-high which still looks nice. It will slow down during WvW and large events, but so does anything except the very bleeding edge of desktops.

And, no offense to the above poster, but suggesting a desktop does nothing to help the OP choose a laptop. People are usually aware that desktops exist and yet have their own reasons for wanting/needing a laptop. ;)

Edited by Quaker, 14 January 2013 - 05:22 PM.

#4 Mr.Kotte

Mr.Kotte

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Soap]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

View PostQuaker, on 14 January 2013 - 05:21 PM, said:

And, no offense to the above poster, but suggesting a desktop does nothing to help the OP choose a laptop. People are usually aware that desktops exist and yet have their own reasons for wanting/needing a laptop. ;)
Didn't spot anything suggesting he really needed a laptop and some users think Price(goodLaptop) = Price(goodDesktop). :P

#5 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3325 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:42 PM

That's 2 posts and you still haven't said anything helpful. :)

#6 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

There is one thing I do not like about that laptop: the i5-3517U, I would personally look for a version with something like a full voltage core i5 or i7. Something like an i5-3210m which is available on some Inspiron 15 in North America. The main difference is in the allowed TDP (heat generated if you prefer) of the CPU. While it says up to 3.0GHz, the i5-3517U with no turbo operates at 1.9GHz and given it's low TDP it likely won't turbo as high as an i5-3210m would. Given how the CPU is important for GW2, it might make a difference. I know, the lower the res and the lower the settings, the less CPU you need, but i'd still personally feel more comfortable with an i5-3210m.

I don't see why Dell would pair a HD8730m with a ULV (ultra low voltage) CPU, but then, some decisions from laptop manufacturers never made sense to me.

Edited by tijo, 15 January 2013 - 12:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users