23 replies to this topic

#1 Tony

Tony

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:08 AM

Hello fellow members,

I know that there is no "best" class in WvWvW simply because every class has a role and that most of the time, there are zergs. However, if you had to rank the classes as the best killers, what would they be? (Assuming equal gear)

My list would be something like this ( I have zero experience with WvWvW and my highest level class is 17, but this is from the perspective of a new player):

1) Thief
2) Warrior
3) Mesmer
4) Elementalist
5) Engineer
6) Necromancer
7) Ranger
8) Guardian

Edited by Tony, 14 January 2013 - 02:14 AM.

#2 Norseman

Norseman

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NORD]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:13 AM

Thief hands down.

#3 Trei

Trei

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2929 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:53 AM

9) Height

Yep.

#4 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 415 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[Jar]

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

There are a crapload of Thieves because they're generally the best 'killers' in WvWvW.

I wouldn't underestimate the abilities of a glass cannon Rifle Engineer though.

#5 Scizzor

Scizzor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Looks like your list is pretty good already. If you want a Solo/Roaming profession Thief is probably best, I play D/D Ele and it's very good at roaming and solo play as well. Mesmer is good at soloing but wow they are slow. (not many speed buffs)

#6 Sam_Uk

Sam_Uk

Fahrar Cub

• New Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

1. D/D Elementalist
2. The rest

#7 ErraticFaith

ErraticFaith

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

D/D ele fluctuates up and down depending on player ability, otherwise the list is good tbh.

#8 ProfGast

ProfGast

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:14 PM

View PostTrei, on 14 January 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

9) Height

Yep.
Come now, falling and heights kills WAY more than that.  Probably edges out mesmers for the 3 spot.  Really though, thief and warrior probably get the most "finisher" kills since they are both easy to build as opportunistic burst damage interceptors.  Everything else really depends on player skill more than anything else.

The only class I feel which has the hardest time finishing people, all other things being equal, is the guardian.  They're a great class and nearly impossible to kill if played right, but they currently also have the hardest time catching people who are running away.

#9 Tyrantscreed

Tyrantscreed

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SG]

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I feel like you have not seen a full crit zerker ranger in action ...oh how I love chewing down warriors with my burst attacks. Also Rangers have the highest range in game - 1500 range. Hello sniper.

Warriors are only effective in open field imo, sorry but they are not the best defenders.

Theifs are godly if played in the right hands, fun thing though is since theifs are really strong in WvW, alot of noobs roll them, it's fun to plow through them ahahaha.

(This is coming from someone who has Lv80 Ranger, Warrior and Ele - and yes I've WvW'd with all of them)

#10 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

Well, if you couldn't get decent damage output with full zerker gear... Anyone can have decent damage, but there's a difference between dealing (*puts on sunglasses*) tons of damage and actually manage to put the 'tons of damage' in your ennemy's face.

#11 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostErraticFaith, on 14 January 2013 - 05:14 PM, said:

D/D ele fluctuates up and down depending on player ability, otherwise the list is good tbh.

this. a bad D/D ele player will do no damage and melt in a split second, while a good D/D ele player will be the most annoying thing you will ever encounter

#12 Tony

Tony

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I'm actually amazed that my list is somewhat accurate. I completely guessed it thinking about solo burst killers first, then zerg AoE killers and lastly those slower condition/ lower damage killers (Necro,Ranger,Guardian). Sounds like I seem to have almost the right idea.

#13 Setharos

Setharos

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Dust]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:58 AM

I would say Thieves are with the culling issue going on and the builds abusing it and other than that, mesmers. They can attack from a very safe distance with illusions and phantasms, have nice stun breakers, and avoid damage nicely  when they need to.

Edited by Setharos, 16 January 2013 - 04:05 AM.

#14 Piteous

Piteous

Asuran Acolyte

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 98 posts
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostTrei, on 14 January 2013 - 02:53 AM, said:

9) Height

Yep.

This ^^ the taller you are the more people you can kill...true story. There are at least one thread a day asking the same question.

#15 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

The taller or the bigger number of controls. 1/6 of my kills are about blasting people off the cliff with Overcharged Shots and Rams. Some uncommonly built Warriors can do that aswell.

Edited by MrForz, 16 January 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#16 Dabrixmgp

Dabrixmgp

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:40 PM

WvW is all zergs anyways so anything with retarded AoE that can just sit back at range and lolz away is going to be tops.  Staff Ele and Grenade Engineer.

Edited by Dabrixmgp, 04 February 2013 - 10:41 PM.

#17 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:09 PM

View PostDabrixmgp, on 04 February 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

WvW is all zergs anyways so anything with retarded AoE that can just sit back at range and lolz away is going to be tops.  Staff Ele and Grenade Engineer.

I respectfully disagree.   While AoE plays a big role in zergfests it rarely kills anyone by itself unless they were already badly hurt from a burst of damage.  Most of the "kills" consist of individuals being picked out of the zerg and burst down or extensive condition stacking on vulnerable individuals.

It is rare I see a fireball or a treb hit actually kill and usually it is just one person who had been beaten down singly anyway.

#18 Mjölner

Mjölner

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postlmaonade, on 14 January 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

this. a bad D/D ele player will do no damage and melt in a split second, while a good D/D ele player will be the most annoying thing you will ever encounter

This, absolutely. Got my ass, and several others too, handed to me by a a D/D elementalist by the Bay and she proceeded to tear the veteran guards a new one - she didn't even break a sweat. Then I was running with an elementalist, who after I had faceplanted, held his own against a very skilled mesmer and x amount of mobs who rushed to help. When played right, eles are scary.

#19 heatrr

heatrr

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

Glass cannon GS phantasm mesmer or DPS zerk shatter mesmer.

Edited by heatrr, 14 February 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#20 Killacam

Killacam

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[(Sc)]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 26 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View PostTony, on 14 January 2013 - 02:08 AM, said:

Hello fellow members,

I know that there is no "best" class in WvWvW simply because every class has a role and that most of the time, there are zergs. However, if you had to rank the classes as the best killers, what would they be? (Assuming equal gear)

My list would be something like this ( I have zero experience with WvWvW and my highest level class is 17, but this is from the perspective of a new player):

1) Thief
2) Warrior
3) Mesmer
4) Elementalist
5) Engineer
6) Necromancer
7) Ranger
8) Guardian

Imo this list is way off. It's all situational but here goes:

1/2. Thief
1/2. Mesmer (A thief cannot beat a mesmer of same skill 1v1, that is why I feel it's a tie.)
3. Ele (As said before this depends on player skill.)
4/5.Guardian (Best survivability hands down and in WvW that is crucial.)
4/5. Necro  (Best against eles and guards and anyone without condi removal.)
6. Engineer (Yes they can kill but a dead person does no damage.)
7. Ranger (I'm told there are badass builds but I've never seen it.)
8. Warrior (Haven't died to a war since they added ascended gear. Wars are for PvE

I have an 80 thief, 80 ele, 80 mesmer, 80 guardian, and a 30 necro so I feel I know the meta pretty well. I make characters for one reason, to assess how they are played in pvp so I know how to beat them. You can only get so good at your chosen profession after that it's all about knowing and understanding what your opponent is doing or about to do.

#21 MrForz

MrForz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:29 PM

This again? What is being qualified as 'killer' anyways? Anyone can burst. Some being less predictable than others. And actually, the Engineer damage is on the same level of predictability as a Thief, a duel between both often result into a huge mind game directly starting at the engage. The scenario rarely happens, people can't be bothered to know what we can do, instead they'll just mash the class and spit on it.

#22 MrStaby

MrStaby

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:43 PM

The very first slot should go to d/d ele's, mesmers and good thieves. Thieves with theive's guild as there elite give us issues as well.

#23 Acromania

Acromania

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:34 PM

My personal list, in terms of mostly solo roaming:

1/2. thieves
1/2. mesmers
3. height
4. d/d bunker ele's
5-9 kinda vary depending on build and playstyle. if i had to rank, it would be something like this:
5/6 ranger
5/6 engineer
7 warrior
8 guardian
9 necro

i havent met many solo roaming necros to really say they're a problem, guardians are massively tanky, but kinda lose out to me on everything else. running for them involves taking all the hits just to survive till help is there. rangers/engineers/warriors dont stand out as much as the others do for me, so i ranked partially due to preference of them and partially due to having watched a good engineer stream a bit ago. engineers might edge above rangers though. warriors would probably the closest "unknown" factor based on my experience.

thieves/mesmers are the most common raiders, d/d bunker eles are semi often, rangers semi often, guardians semi often, and the last 2 tend to be following a small group of 2-4 players. the eles gave me more trouble than a mesmer/thief have when i fought one in front of the gates being a sort of hit/retreat, whereas the mesmer and thief were less annoying of the groups. (sorry, i should say this was a small group vs group, probably 10 man group on each side doing a skirmish).

it might be due to my current server and whatnot, but this is my ranking so far. i see probably less d/d eles than guardians/rangers on my servers when i watch camps, and mostly see thieves and mesmers.

#24 Ninja Battle Lion

Ninja Battle Lion

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:53 PM

Profession combos are the deadliest. 30/30/x/x/x full Berserk Ele, x/x/30/30/x full Knights Guard comes to mind.

Edited by Ninja Battle Lion, 21 May 2013 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users