• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Hecksa

Hecksa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Hi there. You may remember me as the guy who did a cover of Billie Jean on the choir bells a while back. Well, I enjoyed myself so much making that, I couldn't stop myself doing another. This time, I got a bit more adventurous:

This is a cover of "Still Alive" from portal, using only the instruments available in GW2 (Yes, the organ too!). However, this time I allowed myself a fully chromatic scale, which I made by editing the pitch of some of the available notes. This lets me play absolutely anything on the bells and organ, which is great.

For those interested, I got through somewhere around 40 bells in the creation of this video, mostly due to recording at tonnes of locations before picking the clips I liked best. Doing these is beginning to get expensive! Recording all the parts probably took about 3-4 hours in total, spread over a period of several days. Sound + Video editing to pull everything together took...a long time. A long, long time. Way longer than Billie Jean.

Once again, thanks to Arenanet for making this possible, and also to Jonathan Coulton and Valve for creating Still Alive, a great song to work on.

#2 jthamind

jthamind

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:16 PM

i love this! how much gold would you charge for requests? lol.

#3 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5204 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:20 PM

AMAZING job!! :D  

Really wonderful work and incredible musical and edit skills. Can you post this over in the fan-content forum Library of Whispers?   It should go there and the official forum fan-generated content forum too.  More people should see this.  

(And excellent choice having an asura playing the song)

Edit - have you made an mp file of this?

Edited by Doctor Overlord, 15 January 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#4 Beta Sprite

Beta Sprite

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1325 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

This is fantastic.  I also find it very amusing that most of the suggested videos afterwards have to do with the old mesmer portal linking bugs.

#5 the butcher

the butcher

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Very nice... Rly amazing!

#6 Hailfall

Hailfall

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

Oh that is *ing awesome!

You rock :D
(and in my head i was singing the lyrics with the song haha)

#7 Darkobra

Darkobra

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1366 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

ArenaNet should really take care of that bell swinging noise.

#8 Hecksa

Hecksa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostDoctor Overlord, on 15 January 2013 - 07:20 PM, said:

Really wonderful work and incredible musical and edit skills. Can you post this over in the fan-content forum Library of Whispers?   It should go there and the official forum fan-generated content forum too.  More people should see this.  

Edit - have you made an mp file of this?

Posted it in Library of Whispers as you suggested, thanks. As for the mp file, not sure what you mean - was it a typo of mp3, or have I just not come across that filetype before? Either way, I guess I could create an mp3 pretty easily if anyone wants it, yeah.

View Postjthamind, on 15 January 2013 - 07:16 PM, said:

i love this! how much gold would you charge for requests? lol.

I'd never sacrifice my artistic freedom in exchange for mere gold!

Unless we're talking...y'know...*lots* of gold. >.>

View PostDarkobra, on 15 January 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

ArenaNet should really take care of that bell swinging noise.

This, and put the underwater bubbling environment sound on a different volume slider to the organ, or vice versa. So annoying.

#9 Venereus

Venereus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • Guild Tag:[YAKS]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:48 PM

Awesome! Now do a long Dream Theater song :P

#10 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3268 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

This just might be my favourite thing to come out of GW2!
Next to the Flamethrower, obviously.

Edited by Protoss, 15 January 2013 - 08:36 PM.

#11 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

View PostHecksa, on 15 January 2013 - 07:41 PM, said:

Posted it in Library of Whispers as you suggested, thanks. As for the mp file, not sure what you mean - was it a typo of mp3, or have I just not come across that filetype before? Either way, I guess I could create an mp3 pretty easily if anyone wants it, yeah.
Thanks!

Yeah that was a typo.  An mp3 would be great :)

#12 Doctor Overlord

Doctor Overlord

If you hate MMOs....

• Members
  • 5204 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

Love this video!  Thanks for making and posting it :D

#13 Hecksa

Hecksa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:08 PM

As requested, an mp3 version:

https://soundcloud.c...-a-guild-wars-2

Sadly not having the video draws attention to the pops and clicks a bit more, but eh, you asked for it :P

Should be downloadable, but not having used soundcloud before I can't guarantee it - let me know if there's any issues.

#14 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[WM]

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:49 AM

Oh nice job there!

But, ouch 40 bells in order to create this?

Someone like you is deserving of an Unbreakable Bell you know... hmm perhaps you should ask for donations, hell I'd throw in a couple of gold if you'd accept it.
Or be a lucky ass like me and somehow manage to get one from a dropped gift...

You know, I actually have the Bell Number Key Notes to this song written down somewhere (thanks Reddit!)
Its really fun playing songs like these to annoy/impress others.

Ahem, anyways I really look forward to what you will come up with next.

Edited by EliteZeon, 16 January 2013 - 03:50 AM.

#15 Zav

Zav

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LaLa]
  • Server:Jade Sea

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

I was waiting for someone to create beautiful songs with those gw2 instruments. Congratulations you made it perfectly!

#16 BrettM

BrettM

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1434 posts
  • Guild Tag:[FPI]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

I have a few bells from Wintersday eating up storage. They would certainly be happier in the hands of an artist that can use them for something worthwhile, so give a holler if you want them. No charge, of course.

#17 DuskWolf

DuskWolf

Seraph Guardian

• Banned
  • 1876 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

Sorry, OP, but this is basically just a half-arsed Lord of the Rings Online. If you're looking for music-making in games, as a primary feature, then LOTRO has always done it so, so much better. Oh so much better. Just compare that video with THIS...

https://www.youtube....h?v=8wP5Ces42xg

See what I mean? They have real talent, those LOTRO guys. And there's so much great stuff out there if you want to do a little looking around on Youtube. This was always my favourite feature of LOTRO, and it's why I still occasionally go back to it (along with the farming, which was weirdly entertaining to me).

All this has done is made me want to take a trip back to the lands of LOTRO again. I wonder if concerts are still as regular in Bree...

Edited by DuskWolf, 16 January 2013 - 03:53 PM.

#18 Kendil

Kendil

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1022 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Impressive. (I didn't want to write anymore, because it was just simply impressive. However, the forum forced me to so this post is slightly, or a bit more than slightly, extended)

#19 Hecksa

Hecksa

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

View PostDuskWolf, on 16 January 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

Sorry, OP, but this is basically just a half-arsed Lord of the Rings Online. If you're looking for music-making in games, as a primary feature, then LOTRO has always done it so, so much better. Oh so much better. Just compare that video with THIS...

https://www.youtube....h?v=8wP5Ces42xg

See what I mean? They have real talent, those LOTRO guys. And there's so much great stuff out there if you want to do a little looking around on Youtube. This was always my favourite feature of LOTRO, and it's why I still occasionally go back to it (along with the farming, which was weirdly entertaining to me).

All this has done is made me want to take a trip back to the lands of LOTRO again. I wonder if concerts are still as regular in Bree...

I'm quite aware of the system LOTRO provides. Yes, creating music in LOTRO is a tonne simpler and less time consuming than doing the same in GW2. I don't much care, in all honesty. Recording a musical performance in LOTRO isn't an achievement. Anyone can download an abc file or five and synchonise it with their friends. That's great, but I'm not interested in making videos that just show game features being used as designed. What's so impressive about that? That's why I don't go to LOTRO. If Guild Wars 2 comes up with a LOTRO like music system, I won't be churning out tonnes of videos using it like everyone else will be. I'll be doing original, interesting stuff with the features, and hopefully people will like it.

As it happens, I'm not interested in music as a primary feature anyway. I spend most of my time ingame doing hardcore WvW with Red Guard, so I'm not going anywhere, but that's irrelevant.

View PostBrettM, on 16 January 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

I have a few bells from Wintersday eating up storage. They would certainly be happier in the hands of an artist that can use them for something worthwhile, so give a holler if you want them. No charge, of course.

View PostEliteZeon, on 16 January 2013 - 03:49 AM, said:

Someone like you is deserving of an Unbreakable Bell you know... hmm perhaps you should ask for donations, hell I'd throw in a couple of gold if you'd accept it.

Thanks both for the offers, but I've received so many bells I'm already trying to send some back! There's so many generous people out there <3

#20 EliteZeon

EliteZeon

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[WM]

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

Mind if I make a request for a future video?

"It's Not Unusual" by Tom Jones
Spoiler

If you pull this one off, I will seriously like log on my Norn and dance to this for at least an hour or two a day.

Edited by EliteZeon, 17 January 2013 - 03:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users