• Curse Sites
Help
* * * - - 2 votes

Anyone using a Logitech G13 or something similar?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Hi, is anyone here using a Logitech G13 or something similar, like e.g. the Razer Nostromo?

I own a G13, but I haben't been using it for GW2 until now. The reason, I bought it was, because I played mostly shooters (GW2 is my first MMO) and the G13 is more comfortable, than a Keyboard.

Now, in GW2, I thought, using the G13 is a bad idea, because basically the F1-F4 keys and the number keys above wasd (especially 1-5) are missing.

My keybindings were: standard movement keys, F1 moved to R (my main is a necro, so I need that one more often, than F2-F4)
1-5: weapon skills
y,x,c: utility
mousewheel klick: elite
mousebutton 4 and 5: healing skill and looting

However, I've observed myself still klicking a lot. Yeah, I have to stop rotating my camera to klick on a skill, but when I use the keyboard, I have to stop moving (or at least my movement becomes less precise).
I don't think, klicking takes more time, because: moving your finger from one key to an adjacent one requires a movement of 2cm. With my sensibility settings, it also takes about 2cm to move from the rightmost side of my screen to the leftmost side, so klicking almost ever requires less movement.

So basically, I can't use my skils, without affecting either my movement, or my camera rotation, so I either klick, or use the keyboard, whatever is better in that moment.

Now, I've been a little creative and made up a keybinding for the G13, the idea behind this was to be able to use skills and move at the same time, without too much interference.
The idea was to  move with the thumb stick, instead of "wasd" and use the keys for my skills.

This is, what I came up with:
Posted Image

Basically, I use the first row for weapon skills (1-5) and the second row for utility skills (7-9). Skill [1] has been moved down, so it's easier to reach. The rest has been build around that basic idea. Of course, I had to move Jump to one of the keys, so I jump, using my index finger. Dodging is also quite important, since double taping is no longer viable, when using the joystick.

I just thought, I'd share my bindings, maybe someone wants to try it.
Also, if anyone here is using a G13 of similar device, I'd really like to see your bindings.
Still testing it, so I don't know, if I like it, but since testing could take a while (don't have too much time to play) I thought, I'd post it anyway.

#2 Airwolf

Airwolf

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 215 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[PONY]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

First things first. i advise you to remove the software you are using at this point and go to the logitech site and head to support. There you can download the latest logitech gaming software. Not just looks a lot better. but also works better.

And here is the setup I use.
Posted Image

The idea behind this is simply just to get a wsad feel to the controls but still use the g13's possibilities to make sure all actions are within reach. (dodge and closest target are set to my mouse)

#3 Bottoms_Up

Bottoms_Up

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 PM

Just throwing this out there as an alternative to your 'movement' solution. Get an old cheap keyboard, rip out all the keys bar three, and use your feet for movement (forward, strafe left and right). It's quite liberating having my left hand free for just skills.

#4 dawnmist

dawnmist

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 378 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:24 AM

I wanted something like the G13 - but they don't make them reversed for use with the right hand (long story, shoulder rsi = can't mouse with right hand, therefore it's left hand mouse or nothing). So I built my own version ;).

Posted Image

Thumb switch = movement, C = Target closest, T = select called target, holding Ctrl on mouse + t = call target, ~ = weapon swap. Right index finger on 1.

The centre of the the thumb switch is bindable, but it's hard to press while moving so I ignore it. I use the mouse right-click to turn the camera/steer.

#5 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

Thanks, Airwolf, for the tip with the new software.

I've been trying my layout, but after playing GW2 since launch and various shooters for years, I can't just "forget" wasd, so I decided to keep the wasd movement. I thought, what works in shooters will also work in GW2.
So I moved strafing to A and D, in combat turn is useless anyway, then I moved the utility skills to Q, E and F.
Then, I transferred this onto my G13, moving my weapon skills to the thumb stick, just like Airwolf did. Basically I was using the thumb stick for similar actions in COD, so I should be used to this.

This is, what I'm using now (quite similar to Airwolfs layout, thanks for sharing)
Posted Image

I didn't use G17, because it is covered by my middle finger most of the time.
This layout is combat-optimised, so it has no inventory, map or turn keys assigned. Further it is optimised to be used with my necro main, so Profession skill 1 is more important, than 2-4 (yes, I have it assigned to two keys, I did that on purpose, so I can decide, which one I'll keep)

Since there are M2, M3 and you could even create a more profiles, it's easy to have altered versions of the layout for non-combat and different classes.

#6 Red Omen

Red Omen

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[Five]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

I use this setup.

Posted Image

Movement is WAD, with S replaced by the dodge key (double-tapping screws up jumping puzzles). Weapon skills and utility skills are arrayed around the movement keys. Profession skills are below - much closer than the F1-F4 keys, which makes attunement swapping or Virtue of Justice spamming much easier. Menu items and autorun are on the analog stick, an idea I cribbed from Skyrim. Interacting and weapon swapping are on the thumb buttons. M2 is similar, but includes non-combat shortcuts like Contacts, Guild, and a macro that hides the interface before taking a screenshot. My mouse has my Push-to-Talk keybind for Mumble, as well as T so I can ping and accept called targets.

You can also import this XML file.

Attached File  gw2.xml   34.46K   1 downloads

#7 EphraimGlass

EphraimGlass

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 187 posts
  • Guild Tag:[YUM]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

I use a Nostromo.  I have it mapped in a bit of a techy way.  One, I haven't used a WASD scheme or its equivalent in a while.  My scheme is more like ASDX, with S being up and X being down.  That is in the middle/bottom rows.  I have various targeting things mapped across the rest of the middle and bottom rows.  The top row is mapped 1-5 for my weapon skils and then in-game, I've set my healing, utility, and elite skill to ctrl+(1-5) and have ctrl mapped to the little thumb key.

#8 Probo

Probo

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:47 AM

I tried using the nostromo (works great on d3) but frankly, it's too hard. Switched back to keyboard and naga which works best for me :)

#9 unraveled

unraveled

rawr

• Super Moderators
  • 1396 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Hedo]
  • Server:Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

This is my layout. If you think it looks a little odd... I'm left handed and play that way so the joystick thing is pretty useless for me. Far easier to map the G13 than re-map the entire keyboard to play though.

I use my scroll wheel click for skill 6 (heal), one side mouse button for weapon swap and the other for push-to-talk (my mouse is a left handed Deathadder).

Posted Image

"And you can always be strong. Lift your voice with the first light of dawn
Dawn is just a heartbeat away. Hope is just a sunrise away

Questions or queries? Contact me here.

#10 Swoopeh

Swoopeh

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[SoF]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

Posted Image

I have relatively small hands so I'm only binding what I can comfortably reach. I'm using the stick for movement (had to swap mouse hands for it, yay for being ambidextrous).

What I'm doing:
- Thumb: movement using the thumbstick, map and bags.
- Middle finger: weapon skill 2 (G12) and heal (G18). Also class skill 2 (G5).
- Index finger: weapon skill 3 ((G13) and 4 (G14), dodge (G19), push to talk (G22). Also class skill 3 (G6) and 4 (G7).
- Ring finger: weapon skill 1 (G11) and 5 (G10). Also class skill 1 (G4).
- Pinky: Jump (G15), weapon swap (G16), swim down (G20).

Then I have my Naga mouse set up like so:
- Buttons 1/2/3: utility skills 1/2/3.
- Buttons 4 and 6: call target and take target respectively.
- Button 5: elite skill.

#11 Grashopa

Grashopa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

couldnt get my photo to work so youll have to look here.

i am pretty sure that is close to what i currently have (all the weapon skills, utility skills and F keys are in the right spots)

~ is my weapon swap, i have it on G-13 and on g400 mouse, I also have my jump on my mouse, so you would have to stuff that in there somewhere else (Edit: actually i just recalled that i use my scroll wheel for jump, so you could probably do that also, what kind of mouse do you have?)

Edit 2: i also have dodge on my mouse...

Edited by Grashopa, 18 January 2013 - 05:33 PM.

#12 Y A J U U

Y A J U U

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[LaZy]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 22 March 2013 - 05:47 PM

My guide is still out there if people need a quick start on mapping i have mapped every key on my profile, you just drag and drop or use what i put up.

#13 Hector

Hector

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 23 March 2013 - 04:34 PM

I use three profiles for GW2.

My Ele profile: Posted Image

My Guardian Profile: Posted Image

And my Warrior profile: Posted Image

Edited by Hector, 23 March 2013 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users