• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Manieri

Manieri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:53 AM

There are so many builds that I find Im not really sure which too choose from.

I usually play alone and sometimes play with a friend or two.

#2 Manieri

Manieri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:20 AM

What are peoples opinions on this build - http://www.guildwars...out-greatsword/

Also is this Knights Armor? - http://i.imgur.com/7yHio.jpg

#3 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts
  • Guild Tag:[BZRK]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

View PostManieri, on 17 January 2013 - 04:20 AM, said:

What are peoples opinions on this build - http://www.guildwars...out-greatsword/

It's using a warrior (awesome DPS profession) and gimping it by wasting 30 attribute points and making it into an old GW1 joke: The Wammo or warrior/monk. Warriors should do damage, and lots of it in GW2, tanks and healers are a waste of time in this game. Other people will disagree I'm sure.

#4 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts
  • Guild Tag:[NGE]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:50 AM

View Postchullster, on 17 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

It's using a warrior (awesome DPS profession) and gimping it by wasting 30 attribute points and making it into an old GW1 joke: The Wammo or warrior/monk. Warriors should do damage, and lots of it in GW2, tanks and healers are a waste of time in this game. Other people will disagree I'm sure.

disagree, there are bits and parts of your argument that are correct: tanks and healers are, in the end, of no use in this game, you are also right that warriors should deal damage, and a lot of it.

However, where you are wrong is that the Sonic Boon GS build is neither a healer or a tank, it is a support build, which is VERY different. Support is absolutely useful in this game, shout and consecration Guardians make everything in the game easier. The build goes with Knight's armor and Berserker's accessories, which gives him a tanky DPS feel, rather than a full out tank, he can provide a lot of support through boons, condition removal, and vulnerability, the healing is just the icing on the cake, while still dish out sizable damage (I personally disagree with Knight's armor, I use full Berserker's on any PvE build, but it has its merits).

Warrior should not be pigeon-holed into all out damage dealers, because there are other things they do well beside it. And there is always room for a support in a party.

Edit:
All that above is for dungeons and group content, if you mainly solo play or open world roam then you can go full damage and excel, if there is no one to support there is little reason to take support.

Edited by lmaonade, 17 January 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#5 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

View Postlmaonade, on 17 January 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

snip

As I said, shout healer warrior builds are shit, and people will disagree.

Support is damage mitigation, blind, snares, KDs, protection etc not crappy heals taking away a warriors DPS. All of which can be done better by other professions, warriors are brilliant at damage, so use it.

No one even seems to notice the build is working towards keeping 25 might stacks on yourself, and that that is a bad thing. Unless you play alone, forever, and never ever near other people who grant might to allies.

The Wammo was reborn with that build, fine when you first start playing and are learning how the game works, but after leveling, those unused might stacks that are over-lapping and the wasted attribute points start to be obvious.

Try a CoF path 1 farm run, get in a team with 4 DPS wars and 1 mes, see how fast stuff dies, and your 100b is over 32k even when you're being down-levelled (Btw that isn't max I haven't finished my warrior yet, so it will be higher still in time). Then go back to taking 5 minutes to kill one boss with a bunch of tanks and support players. I know which method of play I enjoy more.

As I read it, you don't mind using 30 points for something that is "Icing on the cake"? Did I read that right? if so there's nothing more to say really.

Edited by chullster, 17 January 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#6 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

View Postchullster, on 17 January 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

As I said, shout healer warrior builds are shit, and people will disagree.

Support is damage mitigation, blind, snares, KDs, protection etc not crappy heals taking away a warriors DPS. All of which can be done better by other professions, warriors are brilliant at damage, so use it.

No one even seems to notice the build is working towards keeping 25 might stacks on yourself, and that that is a bad thing. Unless you play alone, forever, and never ever near other people who grant might to allies.

The Wammo was reborn with that build, fine when you first start playing and are learning how the game works, but after leveling, those unused might stacks that are over-lapping and the wasted attribute points start to be obvious.

Try a CoF path 1 farm run, get in a team with 4 DPS wars and 1 mes, see how fast stuff dies, and your 100b is over 32k even when you're being down-levelled (Btw that isn't max I haven't finished my warrior yet, so it will be higher still in time). Then go back to taking 5 minutes to kill one boss with a bunch of tanks and support players. I know which method of play I enjoy more.

As I read it, you don't mind using 30 points for something that is "Icing on the cake"? Did I read that right? if so there's nothing more to say really.

to be near other people who grant might to allies there has to be someone to grant might to allies, someone has to take that role, all professions can DPS well when built for it, why should the warrior be exempted from potentially being support?

As for playing alone, OP did say that he mostly plays solo.

You can enjoy your farm runs, I enjoy running with my guild, they may not be the best players in the world, but I have fun playing with them, even if it means I have to go support to make up for their shortcomings. People always tout about glass cannon be the end of ends, and how everyone should play it. The reality is that some people never reach that stage, and you're likely to play with those sorts of people while playing the game. "Play what works for you" should be the real advice. Shout builds might be shitty to you but useful to someone else.

And no, you read wrong, nowhere in my post did I ever say that I play a shout build, I'm talking about how a support build can be useful even on a limited support class like the warrior. People like you always have their heads stuck so far up their ass that they fail to see that there is such thing as someone who doesn't play the game well.

#7 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

View Postlmaonade, on 17 January 2013 - 10:44 AM, said:

to be near other people who grant might to allies there has to be someone to grant might to allies, someone has to take that role, all professions can DPS well when built for it, why should the warrior be exempted from potentially being support?

"For Great Justice"
Empowering Might

2 very popular traits, as I said if you play alone all the time 25 might stack from yourself is great.

Open world content, DEs Dungeons, fractals, WvW you do NOT play alone, that's most of the game, so the stacks are wasted. Even better get two shout healer warriors together, there you go, 2x FGJ overlapping, with only 2 people involved.

Your idea of support from a warrior is crap compared to supporting your team by killing stuff faster.

You can enjoy your farm runs, I enjoy running with my guild

I don't do farm runs only, it was the quickest and easiest place for you to get a group of full DPS and see the difference in performance.  I go full damage everywhere, not because I'm awesome-leet, but because it's more fun to destroy stuff as a warrior.

And no, you read wrong, nowhere in my post did I ever say that I play a shout build

And nowhere did I say you did, learn to read, seeing as you're throwing around the insults. I said you consider spending 30 points to max the attribute to gain healing shouts is icing on the cake, want me to quote you directly?

"....he can provide a lot of support through boons, condition removal, and vulnerability, the healing is just the icing on the cake....."

Healing is the GM trait (30 points required), all the other stuff you mention comes from shouts that require zero attribute points in that line to function.

People like you always have their heads stuck so far up their ass that they fail to see that there is such thing as someone who doesn't play the game well.

And people like you encourage others to run shitty builds while being a perfect example of hype/marketing over quality, you're as bad as brand spamming every warrior post with a link to his topic.

I'll ignore any further posts from you as you're obviously a fanboy of mediocrity.

Edited by chullster, 17 January 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#8 SkearKr0w

SkearKr0w

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Stop]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Fight! fight! fight! fight! fight!

Nah jk

I do love Playing Glass Cannon though. Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

#9 Manieri

Manieri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

Okay everyone is saying since im alone not too use this build basically so then can someone show me one of those High DPS builds?

#10 chullster

chullster

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

View PostManieri, on 17 January 2013 - 02:27 PM, said:

Okay everyone is saying since im alone not too use this build basically so then can someone show me one of those High DPS builds?

You're not the only one, I'm going to "do a brand" and link to my own topic I started after getting a PM asking the same thing:
http://www.guildwars...or-all-weapons/

First post is the Greatsword, even has a video of someone I copied it off using it in a dungeon. I'm not a fan of frenzy though as I think the current version is a shadow of its former self from GW1; too long a recharge.

Edited by chullster, 17 January 2013 - 02:44 PM.

#11 Manieri

Manieri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Still not that helpful Ill keep your thread open in a tab but Id still like some help.
Im not sure about what to wear for full damage own, Im very new to this game.

#12 Manieri

Manieri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Opinion on this build, http://gw2skills.net...2IsxajzGpNLCGEA

Edited by Manieri, 17 January 2013 - 03:17 PM.

#13 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2024 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

Nice, someone posts asking for help and we're taking shots at each other over something that isn't even particularly relevant to the question.

Manieri, I think we need some more information from you. What weapons do you enjoy using? That will drive what traits are most valuable to you. Also, how far along are you, what level?

#14 Manieri

Manieri

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

View Posttypographie, on 17 January 2013 - 03:21 PM, said:

Nice, someone posts asking for help and we're taking shots at each other over something that isn't even particularly relevant to the question.

Manieri, I think we need some more information from you. What weapons do you enjoy using? That will drive what traits are most valuable to you. Also, how far along are you, what level?

Well so far Ive only used the GS, but it looks like a Rifle might be good aswell and then do a Damage/Crit Build. But im not particularly sure how to make a good one I posted one but im not sure if its good or not.

#15 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2024 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostManieri, on 17 January 2013 - 03:27 PM, said:

Well so far Ive only used the GS, but it looks like a Rifle might be good aswell and then do a Damage/Crit Build. But im not particularly sure how to make a good one I posted one but im not sure if its good or not.

It looks like a fairly standard glass-cannon-ish Greatsword build. I would drop Furious (30-point Arms trait) since with a Greatsword you'll be sitting on max adrenaline most of the time anyway; I guess I'd take Last Chance instead, but there aren't any great choices. I'd also drop the situational Mobile Strikes from Discipline for Signet Mastery, as it makes Signet of Rage that much more awesome.

My personal preference is to have a bit of defense in a build, especially if I'm alone/without support. But that's up to you. Try this and see if you feel a need to be tougher.

#16 lmaonade

lmaonade

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1122 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:51 PM

View PostManieri, on 17 January 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

it's a nice frame for a damage build, though I would suggest reworking your utilities, most of the time in PvE you won't need the single target CC capability of "Bull's Charge," it's more of a PvP type ability, "For Great Justice" would probably be a good choice to have somewhere in your bar, it's objectively one of the best utilities the warrior has.

I personally do not really like Frenzy in PvE, it doesn't last long and has a long cooldown, for a stun break I would go with any of the others: "Shake it off", Endure Pain, or Balanced Stance.

Also another thing you can try is Banner of Discipline, it gives 90 precision and 10% crit damage to you while it's up and can provide a good boost in damage.

View Postchullster, on 17 January 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

And people like you encourage others to run shitty builds while being a perfect example of hype/marketing over quality, you're as bad as brand spamming every warrior post with a link to his topic.

I'll ignore any further posts from you as you're obviously a fanboy of mediocrity.

I'm encouraging people to run what they find appealing, whether or not it's optimal is a different issue, it was a learning experience for early players like you and me, why should it be any different for other players? They should have the experience with trying out different builds and playing with what they find fun and good, not what other people find optimal, I had a lot of fun going through 50 different builds so I can't imagine why people would want to take that away from others, if someone specifically asks for the best build or w/e then fine but this isn't the case.

Edited by lmaonade, 17 January 2013 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users