#1 Matsy

Matsy

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3105 posts
  • Guild Tag:[zzZ]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hey, I'm "downgrading" my system, in other words converting it into a bitfenix prodigy build to get some more space on my desk.

First of all the radiator has some slight damage, 2 of the fin's are bent inwards, I'm guessing this doesn't exactly matter much and won't effect anything.

Anyway, which way should I mount the fans? I have a 200mm intake for the front.

I was thinking either (the h80i is going in the rear)

1.  1 fan pulling air THROUGH the radiator into the case and the other fan on the top slot as exhaust, so Case -> Radiator -> Fan(intake)
2.  1 fan pushing air THROUGH the radiator and the other fan on the top as exhaust, so Case -> Fan (intake) -> Radiator.
3.  Both fans as intake, this would mean I wouldn't be able to have a top exhaust as there isn't enough room.
4.  1 fan pulling air from the case pushing it through the radiator and out the case (exhaust), top exhaust? (negative pressure)?
5.  1 fan pulling air through the radiator from the case and out the back (exhaust), top exhaust? (negative pressure)?
6.  Both fans as exhaust,  this would mean I wouldn't be able to have a top exhaust as there isn't enough room.

Which would be better ?

Edited by Matsy, 17 January 2013 - 10:34 PM.

#2 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

I think, the best it to just test it. Usually it's better, to mount the h80i in a way, that it gets fresh air, so radiator -> case. I don't think, there will be a huge difference between push or pull, though I' would tend to a pull setup. Of course push pull is the best, but you may need the radiator in the exhaust, but again you could just test it.

For overall cooling it is the best to have as much input as output, neither negative, nor positive pressure, though it is said, that a little positive pressure helps against dust, but I can't believe that.

Also keep an eye on the temperature of your other components, especially the craphics card.
I don't know your overall hardware, so I can just guess, but I had a PC, where my graphics cards were blowing the hot air to the front, so changing the direction of the front intake fan, so it becomes an exhaust did actually improve cooling. It really depends on the rest of your hardware.

#3 Matsy

Matsy

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3105 posts
  • Guild Tag:[zzZ]

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:56 PM

I have a gigabyte 670, so it will be blowing most its hot air out the vent in the side (also it runs cool ~62c on BF3) so GPU heat isn't a issue.  Would one 200mm intake and both the h80i fans as exhaust create negative pressure?

I would imagine having 200mm intake in the front, 1 as intake in the back (pushing...or pulling through the radiator not sure which) and 1 exhaust in the top would be the best as it would create the best pressure.  I dunno though q_q.

Or having it all as intake and let the case naturally exhaust the heat out the top ^^.

Edited by Matsy, 17 January 2013 - 11:23 PM.

#4 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:13 AM

no, I would not suggest trying to go with zero exhaust fans... I'm sure it's worked well for some people, but I've yet to see a computer that ran as well or cool that way myself.  I would typically put an intake in the front, an exhaust in the back and if available put an exhaust in the top as well.  If I understand your post correctly then I would pick #4.

#5 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 292 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

My current one has no exhaust fans :)
I have a Silverstone Raven 2 with 3x 180mm intake fans at the bottom. I removed the 120mm exhaust in the top, because I want a silent computer, so the only exhaust fan is the one in the PSU. It runns pretty cool, but then my case is very uncommon.

Back to topic: The 670 is a pretty high-performance graphics card, so it produces a lot of hot air. I'd take #4 in that case as well. I think it offers the best cooling for your graphics card. Your cpu may run a bit hotter, because it uses the warm air from the inside of your case for cooling, but I don't think, the difference will be too big and it seems to be the best for your gpu.

Just try it and watch the temperatures. If something gets too hot you can try altering something.

Edited by Shadow209, 18 January 2013 - 10:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users