5 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

Hi, I've had a few thoughts about how guesting should work.
First of all, this is not a QQ thread. I'm happy, they're finally implementing guesting, I just had some ideas to improve it.

First of all, guesting should't be limited to 2 servers, you should just be able to open the server list, select a server and choose guesting, just like the planned feature. If you do this via the "World select" button, your selection should be remembered and you should stay on that server until you choose another one or restart your client.
However, there should be and additional, more dynamic way of guesting. This could work similar to how overflows work. There should be in-game menue, that lets you guest on other servers that have an active map in this area (I'll explain later). You will be transfered to the same ares on this server, but if you leave that area, you will be transfered to your server again, unless you're in a cross-server party. Let's assume you're on Ring of Fire in Plains of Ashford. You can just guest on Gandara, but if you got to the Black Citadel you will be on Ring of Fire again. If you're in a cross server party, you should be able to right klick on a party member and join his server, just as it works with overflows. If you're in such a party and go to another area, all party members will be put on the same server. So in the example above ths means, if a party member from Gandara would follow me to the Black Citadel, he would end up on Ring of Fire.

Automatic guesting / Combined areas:
Currently al the starter areas are dead. This is because we are split up on 27 EU servers. Automatic guesting is the solution. If a map has low population, the maps from verious servers will be combined and you will automatically join this server. For example Plains of Ashford has low population, so the maps from Gandara, Ring of Fire and other servers are combined into one. Let's assume, Gandara is chosen to be the host. Everyone from Ring of Fire, who wants to go to Plains of Ashford will now end up on Gandara. If the area is too full another server is chosen to host a new map,just like it works with overflows. If the popullation gets too low again, the maps will be combined again. If you are on a map, that gets deactivated, you will be prompted to travel, but you can complete whatever you're doing and travel whenever you want, however no one can join this area on this server until it's activated again.

WvW: If you enter WvW, you fight for your ome server, regardless of where you are guestig, just like when you join WvW from an overflow. Also you will always recieve yor home World's WvW bonuses, even if you're not on your home server.
The same goes for guild bonuses, they are also granted depenting on your home world, so you can always access your guild bank, for examlpe

tl;dr: Basically the servers should work like overflows. Instead of splitting the players up on numerous dead and empty maps, they are put together on a few populated ones. You can guest on another server, just like you join an overflow.

#2 Gruunz

Gruunz

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

First of all, guesting should't be limited to 2 servers,

It seems you don't realise that this limit was put in place to reduce the exploiting of the guesting system. Similiar to the overflow issue.

e.g. Mine rich ori vein on server #1 switch #2 mine, switch to ......... #9 and so on.

#3 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

I'm pretty sure, there is another solution to this problems. For example the Ori nodes should only be minable once, even if you switch servers. Honestly I'd be surprised, if they don't implement this.

I don't think, you will get 3x as much ori after the patch, the limitation should be only a second layer of security, in case they oversee something.
If exploiting is the only reason for this limitaton, then it should only be temporary and removed, once the leftover exploits have been eliminated.

#4 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 3312 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

You made this thread for 'improvements'.
But apart from the 2 server limitation we don't know anything about how it will work exactly, so I think this thread doesn't has a use tbh..

tl/dr: wait untill we know how it works before trying to give 'improvements'

Edited by Gilles VI, 20 January 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#5 Daenerys

Daenerys

Secretly Christopher Walken

• Moderators
  • 484 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

View PostShadow209, on 20 January 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure, there is another solution to this problems. For example the Ori nodes should only be minable once, even if you switch servers. Honestly I'd be surprised, if they don't implement this.

I don't think, you will get 3x as much ori after the patch, the limitation should be only a second layer of security, in case they oversee something.
If exploiting is the only reason for this limitaton, then it should only be temporary and removed, once the leftover exploits have been eliminated.
Genuine question, as I'm not sure what the implications would be... But what exactly would happen if there was an uptick in the amount of crafting mats on the market? Wouldn't that lower the overall price, or is that what's been driving the market up currently?

Questions? Comments? Conversation? Drop me a message!

#6 Shadow209

Shadow209

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Yes, the price would drop, also the price of everything, that uses this mats would drop. The lowered price could cause the demand on this items to rise. If the droprate of fine crafting materials and ectos stays the same, their price could rise, since their demand rises and the supply stays unchanged.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users