Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Warrior in fractals


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Martiniam1

Martiniam1

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:54 PM

So currently I only have a ranger with fractals experience, I just run level 10 for the daily. But with the upcoming change to fractals where I can do level 10 with my warrior (without having to do 1-9 again) I would like to. One question I have is how to deal with agony. With ranger I can stay max range and avoid it for the most part, but with warrior I will be up close and probably eat this condition a lot. Is it removable with "shake it off"? If not I guess dodge is my only option. Is there a guide with which attacks deal agony, so I can prepare?

I am in the process of saving up for infusion, so this is until i can get some agony resist

Thanks

#2 Puandro

Puandro

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

You could always farm a ring for your warrior on your ranger and 5 would be enough to melee with mistakes, shake it off will not remove it.

#3 Frozyyn

Frozyyn

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 104 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[TC]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

Honestly, my biggest suggestion (coming from someone who has their ranger at Fract 21, and is working on a getting my guardian up to 20+), is to just go through 1-9 on your warrior and not skip to 10. Look up what each agony attack is (For example, the Grawl Shaman's arrow) and learn how to dodge and deal with that as a warrior, rather than just going straight into 10. Sure, you may know how to play the fractal on your ranger, but you'll have to re-learn how to do it on your warrior. It sounds silly and stupid, I know, but it is the best thing I feel that anyone can do when in your situation.

Edited by Frozyyn, 21 January 2013 - 09:31 PM.


#4 Cannot See Me

Cannot See Me

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Guild Tag:[IRL]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

View PostFrozyyn, on 21 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Honestly, my biggest suggestion (coming from someone who has their ranger at Fract 21, and is working on a getting my guardian up to 20+), is to just go through 1-9 on your warrior and not skip to 10. Look up what each agony attack is (For example, the Grawl Shaman's arrow) and learn how to dodge and deal with that as a warrior, rather than just going straight into 10. Sure, you may know how to play the fractal on your ranger, but you'll have to re-learn how to do it on your warrior. It sounds silly and stupid, I know, but it is the best thing I feel that anyone can do when in your situation.

If already have done plenty of level 10 the player should have a good idea of the base mechanics. There is really no reason to go prio even with a new class, since prior to level 10 there are not agony attacks anyway.

#5 Frozyyn

Frozyyn

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 104 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[TC]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

View PostCannot See Me, on 21 January 2013 - 10:13 PM, said:

If already have done plenty of level 10 the player should have a good idea of the base mechanics. There is really no reason to go prio even with a new class, since prior to level 10 there are not agony attacks anyway.

It's more of a build-up thing (applying the learning curve for the class, if you will). Just because  you can do these things at on a specific character, does not necessarily mean you can do it at an equal level on an alt. It's the one thing that I think will hurt the community with the upcoming fractal update, rather than help. You'll get a bunch of people who have done level 10, 20, what have you, on their "main," but then go on an alt. They might not have a lot of experience on this profession, and things will just fall apart, and it will bring the whole group down.

I'd like to make it clear, I'm not trying to be elitist or picky or choosey. I genuinely believe that you will get a lot of people who will do fractals on characters that they aren't too familiar with on the higher-tiers. This, in turn, will make it even harder for people who are in the "high" tiers (20+) to get successful groups and successful runs.

tl:dr; it's a learning curve thing, fractals progression is designed to "teach" you how to play your class through-out the difficulties. Jumping into the deep end of a pool, without learning how to swim doesn't end well.

#6 Potenkin

Potenkin

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

Attack that deals agony debuff :

Ascalon -> fire nova from end boss (can be dodged/ not sure about blocked?)

Raving asura ->only the tri shot (can be dodged/blocked 3 hit)

Swamp:
           ->moss man throwing axe (dodged/blocked 1 hit)
           -> tree boss spits (can be dodged/blocked 1 hit)

Grawl volcano: arrow ->(can be dodged/blocked 1 hit)

Colossus Hammer guy : 1)aoe on the ground (can be dodged but not blocked)
                                      2)the aoe of light during his "I win" pose (can be dodged, not sure about blocked?)


Water->when he eat you (it's already too late if you are eaten, just before he hit you he can be dodged/sinked)

Ice fractal : ice rain (can be dodged/blocked 1 hit per crystal)

Dredge : dredge armor bashing the ground (must be dodged twice/ blocked 3 hit for full duration)
               ice elemental "kneeling" (seems unavoidable ?)

Jade maw: kill first 2 tentacle, killing colosuss->  you cant avoid it


Feel free to correct or add any lacking info on this.

#7 Stigma

Stigma

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 217 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TCG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:51 AM

View PostMartiniam1, on 21 January 2013 - 08:54 PM, said:

So currently I only have a ranger with fractals experience, I just run level 10 for the daily. But with the upcoming change to fractals where I can do level 10 with my warrior (without having to do 1-9 again) I would like to. One question I have is how to deal with agony. With ranger I can stay max range and avoid it for the most part, but with warrior I will be up close and probably eat this condition a lot. Is it removable with "shake it off"? If not I guess dodge is my only option. Is there a guide with which attacks deal agony, so I can prepare?

I am in the process of saving up for infusion, so this is until i can get some agony resist

Thanks

Even with the patch, you don't gain anything from playing Frac 10 with ur Warrior. you get the equivalent rewards and drops per your maximum unlocked Fractal on that specific character. So if you have a Frac 1 Warrior playing Frac 10, you only get the rewards u would get at Frac 2 and only advance by 1 fractal.

Agony can only be mitigated by Agony Resistance or avoided by dodge (except Jade Maw trigger agony event). You cannot get rid of it using Condition Removal skills.

here is a good guide:
http://dulfy.net/201...sts-fotm-guide/

Edited by Stigma, 23 January 2013 - 12:53 AM.


#8 Martiniam1

Martiniam1

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:23 AM

View PostStigma, on 23 January 2013 - 12:51 AM, said:

Even with the patch, you don't gain anything from playing Frac 10 with ur Warrior. you get the equivalent rewards and drops per your maximum unlocked Fractal on that specific character. So if you have a Frac 1 Warrior playing Frac 10, you only get the rewards u would get at Frac 2 and only advance by 1 fractal.

I knew that I would only unlock one fractal difficulty at a time, but where did it say one does not receive the rewards for difficulty completed?

Reason i'm trying to use my warrior for fractals is that there seems to be a lot of ranger hate once you get to 20+.

#9 Wethospu

Wethospu

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM

View PostPotenkin, on 22 January 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Attack that deals agony debuff :

Ascalon -> fire nova from end boss (can be dodged/ not sure about blocked?)
I have never been able to dodge both waves (either I miss first one or latter one hits during vulnerable frames). Need to block first (Counterblow on Mace is quite good for this).

Quote

Raving asura ->only the tri shot (can be dodged/blocked 3 hit)
Just remember dodge towards bolts to destroy them during immunity-frames.

Quote

Swamp:
   ->moss man throwing axe (dodged/blocked 1 hit)
   -> tree boss spits (can be dodged/blocked 1 hit)
Quite painful in melee range.

Quote

Grawl volcano: arrow ->(can be dodged/blocked 1 hit)
Again quite painful in melee range (you don't have luxury of travel time).

Quote

Colossus Hammer guy : 1)aoe on the ground (can be dodged but not blocked)
  2)the aoe of light during his "I win" pose (can be dodged, not sure about blocked?)
I have used Shield to block those aoes on ground.


Quote

Water->when he eat you (it's already too late if you are eaten, just before he hit you he can be dodged/sinked)
Last time I tried blocking/dodging had no effect.

Edited by Wethospu, 23 January 2013 - 05:43 AM.


#10 Potenkin

Potenkin

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostWethospu, on 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:


I have never been able to dodge both waves (either I miss first one or latter one hits during vulnerable frames). Need to block first (Counterblow on Mace is quite good for this).


Best option is to usually outrange him and dodge second wave just in case.

View PostWethospu, on 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:


Just remember dodge towards bolts to destroy them during immunity-frames.


Nice ! I always dodged them at the last moment to dodge the 3 shot (too early ->get hit by last, too late->get hit by first), your method seems to dont require precise timing , i will try that.

View PostWethospu, on 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:


Quite painful in melee range.

Again quite painful in melee range (you don't have luxury of travel time).

Hey ! I never said it's the best thing to do, i was just trying to compile what is doable or not ^^

View PostWethospu, on 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:


I have used Shield to block those aoes on ground.

Really? I was pretty sure you still get agony and debuff , hmm will require more test for confirm.

View PostWethospu, on 23 January 2013 - 05:42 AM, said:


Last time I tried blocking/dodging had no effect.


Pretty sure block doesnt work .
Dodge maybe i confused the dodge with his minions attacks.
Interrupt by mesmer/elem sinking the boss while he is sucking  you before eating, 100 % confirm.

Edited by Potenkin, 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM.


#11 SkearKr0w

SkearKr0w

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Location:Oahu, Hawaii
  • Guild Tag:[Stop]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

If you are able to get agony resistance for your Warrior, I'd say you should be able to jump into 10.
It's not that bad.. I run a full glass cannon Warrior in fractals and I don't even get downed often (I even go glass cannon in pugs). She only has 10 ar and agony doesn't seem to be much of an issue from my experience. You just gotta be attentive during fights and get out of attacks that deal a lot of damage.

#12 chullster

chullster

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 363 posts
  • Location:Blighty, the land of bad weather and plucky Brits
  • Guild Tag:[BZRK]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostSkearKr0w, on 23 January 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

If you are able to get agony resistance for your Warrior, I'd say you should be able to jump into 10.
It's not that bad.. I run a full glass cannon Warrior in fractals and I don't even get downed often (I even go glass cannon in pugs). She only has 10 ar and agony doesn't seem to be much of an issue from my experience. You just gotta be attentive during fights and get out of attacks that deal a lot of damage.

This right here.

Expect you can apply to all of GW2 not just fractals.

#13 dawdler

dawdler

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 740 posts
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

View PostPotenkin, on 23 January 2013 - 09:51 AM, said:

Interrupt by mesmer/elem sinking the boss while he is sucking  you before eating, 100 % confirm.
Getting interrupted by a Mesmer or Ele while he is sucking you would be incredibly rude by them.

#14 Sheepski

Sheepski

    Seraph Guardian

  • Moderators
  • 1240 posts
  • Location:Manchester
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostFrozyyn, on 21 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

Honestly, my biggest suggestion (coming from someone who has their ranger at Fract 21, and is working on a getting my guardian up to 20+), is to just go through 1-9 on your warrior and not skip to 10. Look up what each agony attack is (For example, the Grawl Shaman's arrow) and learn how to dodge and deal with that as a warrior, rather than just going straight into 10. Sure, you may know how to play the fractal on your ranger, but you'll have to re-learn how to do it on your warrior. It sounds silly and stupid, I know, but it is the best thing I feel that anyone can do when in your situation.

On top of this; you won't get the level 10 rewards running it with your warrior anyway; so the only benefits are 1) probably more experienced groups at level 10, used to running dailies and 2) quicker to get a group.

For me those are enough to jump to 10 on Guardian, but it's not all positives. I'm going to ensure I have 10 AR farmed from my Warrior first, then jump in on Guard and do 9 dailies just getting worse rewards.

Question, feedback or issue? Pm me!


#15 Enscheff

Enscheff

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

At 10 you can eat Agony as long as you have some heal available and aren't too low on health when Agony hits.

I would probably just use 1 or 2 of the extra rings your Ranger has in the bank though.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users