Mayul

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[PvE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

First and foremost, hello everyone and it's certainly nice to meet you all.

I've read and looked through many forums and post to figure out why I have such a FPS issue, and I've only come to the conclusion that I must upgrade. So without a further ado here are my system specs.

MOBO: GA-970A-D3
MEM: 8 GBs
CPU: AMD FX 6300 x6
GPU: HD 7770
PSU: 500w 80+ Bronze Ed.

(I can't remember the manufacture's name)
All of this is taken from DxDiag.

I play GW2 currently at 10-80 frames depending on the area, but spiking to 10 frames is really cutting the cake. I can bare to stand it, so if you don't mind helping me figure out what to replace I'll be more than grateful!

Also, I have an XFX 2G Edition 7750, do you think if I crossfire the two cards I'll be able to pump out more frames?

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3244 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

Yes you can Crossfire the two cards. Since you do get upwards of 80 fps, i would assume that the HD7770 works well enough at the rez you use, but Crossfire should allow even better performance. I don't know how well CFX works with GW2, but others do.
http://sites.amd.com...Chart_1618W.jpg

The frame rate probably dips in WvW and/or large events, which is mostly a function of the CPU. Your biggest problem is probably the FX-6300. Upgrading to an 8350 would help some. Or you could try overclocking the 6300.
Upgrading to an i5-3570 would be best, but more expensive since you'd need a new motherboard as well. Even an i5-3570 dips to about 30 fps though, so if you can get it close to 25-30 by overclocking or getting an FX-8350 that would be a good trade off between price & performance.

After (re)checking, the FX-8350 is at best only about 10% faster than the 6300 in gaming, (depending upon the game) so that may not be cost effective, since you could probably get 10% out of basic overclocking of the 6300 without even replacing the cooler. (If you do decide to OC the 6300, I'd suggest getting at least a CM Hyper TX3 cooler anyway.)
http://www.anandtech...fx4300-tested/5

P.S. Your 500watt power supply should handle those two cards in CFX.

Edited by Quaker, 21 January 2013 - 11:19 PM.

#3 Mayul

Mayul

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:03 AM

I'll hook up the 7750 and see what happens(luckily i don't need a bridge..), I should of stated earlier but I have a Hyper 612 Cooler http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103103

Would this be enough for the the CPU OC @ 4100 with just AMD OC tools? I don't want to mess anything up by going through the BIOS.

Edited by Mayul, 22 January 2013 - 12:04 AM.

#4 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:03 AM

What are your in-game settings and resolution?  Lowering things such as shadows and reflections can help some in CPU limited situations, and by all means have Sampling set to "native".

#5 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3244 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Yes, the 612 is more than enough.

#6 Mayul

Mayul

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

I was unable to test the xFire between the two cards because it would seem that the 7750 is fried. Something happened in my room of supplies that must fried it. A lot of pasty material on it. What a bummer.

I've reduced the settings on everything to low, and the game plays at 20-35 on all resolutions. It's better but even this isn't acceptable for myself. I'm a frames junky so anything lower than 50 won't please me. Is there a build around here that will gareentee me 50+ frames in the most stressful situations?

#7 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1802 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

View PostMayul, on 22 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Is there a build around here that will gareentee me 50+ frames in the most stressful situations?

No. There is no CPU currently on the market, as far as I know, that will keep you reliably above ~35 FPS in really heavy combat situations like WvW and crowded event farming. That's just how this game runs. A recent Core i5-3570K with a good cooler and an overclock is the most reasonable recommendation to get every frame you can get. Video cards are almost a non-factor in this case, evidenced by how it doesn't seem to matter what you change your settings/resolution to.

You haven't really explained specifically where and when your performance is bottoming out so much—it should be, as above, in WvW-type situations. In ordinary PvE areas you should be mostly in the 50's-60's+ on your system. If you're not, I suspect the issue isn't that your hardware is simply too slow, but that there's a faulty component or a software issue somewhere that we should be addressing instead.

Edited by typographie, 22 January 2013 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users