Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Giant Slayer Achievement

slayerachievement giants locations

  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Loperdos

Loperdos

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[THF]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

Just like the title states, I've been attempting to get the giant slayer achievement and was wondering if anyone knows of a good location to find a consistent amount of giants?  The only places I'm aware of are parts of events and the information on the wiki is sparse.

Thanks in advance!

#2 Pariah

Pariah

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 492 posts
  • Location:Finland
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[NDR]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

Because Risen Giants aren't considered giants for the slayer achievement (at least they weren't on the Giant list), that leaves only the event giants as possibilities, since there are no "roaming" giants. Kol Skullsmasher event in Harathi Hinterlands used to repeat fairly often, but I haven't done that zone since before christmas, so not sure if the event timers have changed.

#3 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 457 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:53 PM

I've helped defeat Kol Skullsmasher twice as part of large groups (10+).  However, the last time I visited the cave where he hangs out, it was a ghost town, and a friend and I proved to be an inadequate match for him.

I once ran into a giant in Brisban in the Toxal Swamp area, and he actually wasn't too hard to defeat solo, but I've never seen him there since.

There is also  the champion giant that attacks Nageling regularly, but I'm not sure if he actually counts as a giant.  I've helped defeat him several times, but my giant slayer count only shows 3 (which is from Kol x 2 + Toxal Swamp Giant x 1)

I suspect more giants may get added in future updates/expansions.  Until then, the Giant Slayer achievement is not really worth the bother.

Edited by kalendraf, 22 January 2013 - 10:55 PM.


#4 Airwolf

Airwolf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Location:SPAAAAAAACE
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DW]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

the giant boss at CoE story mode counts as, you guessed it, a giant.

Edited by Airwolf, 22 January 2013 - 11:27 PM.


#5 IsThisNameTaken

IsThisNameTaken

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 273 posts
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:16 AM

An Ele can easily solo Koll. Though you'd be there for about 30 minutes :/

#6 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

There seem to be only a handful of giants in the game. Being psychic I can see into the future. Hundreds of people who need this last thing to get their title, camping the spawn spot so when the giant appears, they all attack at once to get one point. Over and over and over again. Hmmmmm. It's possible ANet needs to tweak this just a little.

#7 packotictacs

packotictacs

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

View PostPariah, on 22 January 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

Because Risen Giants aren't considered giants for the slayer achievement
The one that throws Grubs right? Are you sure? I just did that story mission for vigil where you go the Orr with Trahearne and I went up a tier in the achievement when I killed those 2 Risen Giants.

#8 silavor

silavor

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 157 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

View Postkalendraf, on 22 January 2013 - 10:53 PM, said:

There is also  the champion giant that attacks Nageling regularly, but I'm not sure if he actually counts as a giant.
That's the only giant I've ever killed and my count is at 9 giants, so I'm pretty sure it counts. To get credit for a champion kill in group events, though, you have to do a ton of damage on your own. This is the same issue that popped up during the Lost Shores event, when the monthly asked us for karka kills. You could kill as many vet and champion karkas as you wanted with the zerg, but unless you were specced for direct damage you would never hurt them enough for their kills to count for your monthly.

#9 Astral Projections

Astral Projections

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 446 posts
  • Guild Tag:[MIND]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I helped out a friend's story line where you have to kill several Risen Giants. I didn't get credit in my achievement for any of them. My count is still at one giant

#10 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 457 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

View Postsilavor, on 23 January 2013 - 07:44 PM, said:

That's the only giant I've ever killed and my count is at 9 giants, so I'm pretty sure it counts. To get credit for a champion kill in group events, though, you have to do a ton of damage on your own. This is the same issue that popped up during the Lost Shores event, when the monthly asked us for karka kills. You could kill as many vet and champion karkas as you wanted with the zerg, but unless you were specced for direct damage you would never hurt them enough for their kills to count for your monthly.
That might be the issue then.  In all the times I've helped face that stupid champion giant in Nageling, I must have never managed to get in enough hits to reach the minimum needed to register the kill.  I forgot to mention that this giant has never given me a drop either, so that's probably related to the same issue.

This issue with minimum damage threshold is one of the reasons I really dislike champions in this game.  If I spend an entire fight against an enemy, attacking it, putting degen on it, buffing allies fighting it, and helping to rez people that it has put down, I think I should get credit.  Alas, it seems that unless you play some kind of glass cannon build that can exceed some overly high minimum damage threshold, all those efforts are for naught.  ANet really needs to revisit how they reward players who use teamwork to overcome champions.

#11 gOa

gOa

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

View Postkalendraf, on 24 January 2013 - 03:02 PM, said:


This issue with minimum damage threshold is one of the reasons I really dislike champions in this game.  If I spend an entire fight against an enemy, attacking it, putting degen on it, buffing allies fighting it, and helping to rez people that it has put down, I think I should get credit.  Alas, it seems that unless you play some kind of glass cannon build that can exceed some overly high minimum damage threshold, all those efforts are for naught.  ANet really needs to revisit how they reward players who use teamwork to overcome champions.

Group with other people fighting to reduce the damage you need to do to get credit.

#12 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 457 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

View PostgOa, on 24 January 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Group with other people fighting to reduce the damage you need to do to get credit.
That works if they have openings in their party and are willing to group up.  It's not always an option.

#13 Chloeannai

Chloeannai

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

There are a total of four places you can slay giants for the achievement.
1. Kudu's Monster in CoE (Crucible of Eternity) STORY mode - the last boss
2. Champion Kol Sullsmasher (Kessex Hills - Hidden Ourobon - Lvl 42)
3. Champion Giant (Diessa Plateau - Town of Nageling - Lvl 18)
4. Giant (not a champion) - Brisban Wildlands - Toxal Bog - lvl 25.

The last one is in the far southwest corner of Brisban.  To activate the event you must talk to the broken golem.  This one is special!! More Giants will spawn if the event is started off with more players; 2 giants require 2-3 players, 3 giants require 4+.  This event upon completion (fail or complete) will respawn every 8 minutes.  Since you are able to guest on multiple servers - you can basically do three at a time.  Even with that - it took me months to complete this achievement.  Good Luck!!

#14 gw2guruaccount

gw2guruaccount

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

http://dulfy.net/201...ments-guide/#16 < - Just read this. Covers it all.

Edited by gw2guruaccount, 05 March 2014 - 06:06 PM.






Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slayerachievement, giants, locations

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users