#1 dannymichel

dannymichel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

So I started redesigning my guild’s website.
The old one is here: http://skilledsoldiers.com/
The new one is here: http://testsite.skil...om/MMO/news.php
What do you guys think?

#2 Corsair

Corsair

Is trivia

• Super Moderators
  • 5459 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Not really my style, but the red on the gray is hard on the eyes. Some people could have trouble reading the hotlinks you have in there and the title bits are hard to read. It isn't bad on the darker sidebars you have set up, but you definitely need to either change your colors there or make the gray darker.

Yo Ho Ho and a bottle of rum

Have a moderation related issue or just want to chat? Send me a PM.

Gipsy Danger reporting for duty!

#3 Ovi Bell

Ovi Bell

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ENat]

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

old one looks better

#4 Senatic

Senatic

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1875 posts

Posted 24 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I think simple is better. It's a bit too messy for me, I'd clean it up a bit. Take away some of the nonsense, give it a more simplistic layout. You have a lot of superfluous data, do the visitors really need to see what upgrades you have? And the links to professions/races is a nice touch, but doesn't really belong on the front page imo. "Last seen" is not really all that interesting either, I'd scrap that.

I'd put the events stuff on a separate page, no point in forcing everyone to see that. After all if you're there looking for a schedule of events you won't mind a clicking one extra time, and would probably appreciate having a clear view of what you want to see rather then watching a cluttered mess.

I'd move the rules to a separate page all together as well.

Really I'd just keep the front page about community news and announcement and remove all the other crap, either completely or move it to other more relevant areas.

Also try to draw attention to a specific place, right now it feels a bit all over the place. As I open the page I'm not really sure where I'm supposed to be looking as there's stuff everywhere. Probably because of the 3 column layout in the main wrapper, which I'm not a big fan off.

Also something important to remember is to try to design the content instead of the website. That's basically how modern web design work. You make a simple layout that is easy to understand and easy to navigate, and then you design the content.

Also I noticed a bug on pages other then the main page, for example on the statistics page in the latest version of Opera, the headline "Site Statistics" is being pushed into the div beneath it. Try using overflow:none; or clear:all; to sort it out.

But these things are completely subjective, so if you're happy with it go with it. Don't wanna be too harsh here.

Edited by Senatic, 24 January 2013 - 09:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users