Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 94 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostWinterclaw, on 26 January 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

GW1?

It's been so long, I've forgotten how I first learned of it.
Pretty much this. I don't remember what compelled me to buy Guild Wars 1. But I bought it and then soon I found myself buying Factions then Nightfall then EoTN!

#32 Dasryn

Dasryn

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1570 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[Myth]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:46 PM

i had played wow for about 6 months and i had the highest tier gear the the time (item level 264) left it because it was just the ultimately unfulfilling game.  to this day i miss the guild i was in and i know they still play but i jsut wasnt having fun.  i played WAR, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, even gave EQ1 a shot on trial basis (LOL!) then i figured id pick up Guild Wars on a whim partly because hot chicks they put on the cover art of the boxes always drew my attention naturally.  played it for a good week or so and quit - i just didnt like it.

not that it was a bad game or aynthing, i was just expecting something along the lines of wow and at the time i thought thats what an mmo should be like so a few things just turned me off to GW1.  in hindsight, i proly shouldve given it more of a chance.

i got GW2 because at the time i was playing SWTOR and all i literally ever heard was how GW2 was going to kill SWTOR and how GW2 was the messiah of mmorpgs and how GW2 was going to revolutionize the genre and how pvp is what everyone has been waiting for since DAoC and blah blah blah blah blha blahglksddihge

thats how i heard of it.  so i played in BWE2 and i decided i wasnt going to like GW2 either.  i went to gamestop and cancelled my preorder of the CE and everyhting. so in that time i played Rift (REALLY enjoyed it!) and TSW.  then one day i was like, man i didnt really have time to give GW2 an honest shot so i decided to pick it up one day after doing MASSIVE amounts of research and watching gameplay vids and reviews etc and i fell in love with it.  no other mmo has been able to hold my interest as long as GW2 has.

so its crazy but i guess GW franchise is one of those things that you have to KNOW what you are getting yourself into and give it an honest shot.

thats why i give people such a hard time when they try to dog the game, ive played a massive amount of mmos, i started when i was 20 and now im 26 and in that time ive played in this order: WoW, Aion, WAR, EQ1, Tabula Rasa, Vanguard, GW1, Perfect World, FFXI, LOTRO, SWTOR, Rift, TSW, and now GW2.

i played all of these games for at least 3 months minus EQ1, GW1, and FFXI.

GW2 is a gem. period. better hold on to it.

#33 AceLogan

AceLogan

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

View PostYui San, on 26 March 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

After years in UO I got fed up with EA butchering this once great and legendary game. Also didn't feel like paying every month anymore. At that time GW1 came out and I knew some players from UO who bought it, so I thought I give it a chance.

This was pretty much me. I was a HUGE UO fan all the way from first version of Ultima, even becoming an Administrator on the Markee Dragon forums.

GW2 was off my radar for some reason, then a friend mentioned there was a MAC Beta client out.

#34 Draino

Draino

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:07 PM

Another "ever since." Been waiting since GW1.

#35 Dusksign

Dusksign

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Blacktide

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I started out when GW came and my cousin was playing it. I saw it, i loved it, and I stayed till GW2 :) I bought pre-purchase, but i didnt had enough time to play, so I'm giving it one more shot :)

#36 The_Blades

The_Blades

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 331 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 15 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

Was playing Kabal online (or whatever it was called) just on beta, trying it out, then the free period went out and i started to look for a way to play it regularly,then i stumbled upon gw1. looked amazing and i ended up buying and started to love it maybe 2 weeks after....

i made a monk, had no idea it was meant to be played in group, couldnt kill anything... so was ready to give up, then i decided to go look in the manual how to play, worked wonders. stashed the monk and made a necro, that was deleted later because i didnt like it, so i made an assassin, no one liked me because i was a crappy noob that kept dieing. things got better and i loved the game ever since.

Edited by The_Blades, 15 May 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#37 Cheese

Cheese

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

Got started when a good friend on mine bought GW1: Prophecies and invited me to join and buy the game. So I did.
I played Prophecies for a fairly long time and enjoyed it thoroughly. But then, after leveling a few characters to 20 I got bored of it and switched to other MMOs. I probably wouldn't have gotten tired if I had the other two games but at that time I didn't feel like buying Factions and Nightfall.
While being on my "break" from GW1 I heard about GW2 and instantly became hooked on the idea of someday playing the game. Unfortunately it wasn't until a few years had passed would I get the opportunity to do so.
Six months before the release of GW2 I finally bought Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North in hopes of getting those 30 Hall of Monuments points for the fancy item skins. So when the GW2 was released I had managed to get 22 points. At that point I pretty much switched to playing GW2. But hope remains that perhaps at some point I'll get my 30/50 (or maybe even 50/50) HoM score :P

But that's pretty much how I got started with Guild Wars. I've had a few breaks from GW2 but overall I enjoy the game :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: guild wars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users