213 replies to this topic

#211 Evans

Evans

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 08 February 2013 - 06:45 AM, said:

Where was it ever said their numbers were dwindling? I've only seen this references in terms of post-Rite dwarves.

And I think I just proved how a champion wasn't too much - they just weren't going after the champion. They were intentionally withstanding the hordes of minions.

You're right, that must be a misconception from my part. However, considering they've been in civil war, with one party being thoroughly slaughtered by us I think they must have had great losses as a race. That still doesn't say anything about their numbers of course. Time will tell I guess.

#212 Menehune

Menehune

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 03:43 PM

View PostKonig Des Todes, on 08 February 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

That's a different argument than volcanos being mobile, though. In comparison, a volcano's lava is like the lightning or rain of a thunderstorm. So at this point, it'd be comparing Primordus to magma, rather than a volcano, where I'd argue that comparing him to fire (or a wildfire, inferno, firestorm, etc) is equally accurate.

But the magma is the actual destructive agent, and we haven't yet seen Primordus, or any ED actually, directly destroy anything (with the branding being a possible exeption, but a case could be made for that being more transformation than destruction). Instead of directly destroying anything, Primordus has his destroyers for that. IMO it's more like Primordus is to destroyers as volcanos are to lava. In the same vein, other EDs are to their minions as storms are to rain/hail/sand/whatever else gets thrown about which directly or indirectly cause the destruction. Also, wildfires, infernos, firestorms etc. are not directly caused by volcanos, but are triggered by lava, hot ash or pyroclastic flows. I would argue that that is parallel to the fissures that appear when destroyers appear and the lava fountains made by destroyer crabs.

The point I'm trying to make is that whether the ultimate source of destruction is mobile or not is irrelevant. It suffices that the source has a means to cause destruction at a distance and there are some similarities between natural sources and EDs. Volcanos and Primordus have the means and similarities as well as do storms and the other EDs. The similarities do not have to be in one to one correspondence with every attribute of one having an equivalent in the other.

#213 Konig Des Todes

Konig Des Todes

Manager of the Void

• Site Contributors
  • 9534 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Lore]

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:09 PM

Not really true. We've "seen" Orr rise, Jormag shatter mountains and flip icebergs (at least it's him its attended to and not his minions - his minions just chased the kodan's icebergs when they began fleeing) and devour Owl, and Kralkatorrik create the dragonbrand and personally slaughter his former champion. That's just that after their initial awakening, none of them do much direct action against us insignificant beings. And why should they? They have an army of mindless unfaltering servants to do their bidding.

Primordus we don't know a lot about his initial awakening, though we're told he's been removing tracks of land underground (effectively hollowing out Tyria). And the same can be said for the DSD and Mordremoth (should Mordremoth be awake, which I think he awoke at roughly the same time as Primordus given Primordus was pushed back in waking by 50 years).

So I cannot buy the reasoning behind that comparison.

Durmand Priory|Library of Whispers|GuildMag
"...I received a 400-page bible document for the world..." - J.Robert King
I want. I want bad.

#214 Menehune

Menehune

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 500 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

/facepalm How could I forget the rising of Orr, especially when I have a character prancing about there now?

Any way, no further arguments Your Honor. I still think a case can be made for comparing Primordus with volcanos, but at this point, with your agreement, we'll agree to disagree?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users