Despite all that I decided a couple weeks ago that I would attempt to make my precursor (The Chosen) that way.
I went about doing so following a couple self-imposed procedures and rules.
1. Only use cheap level 70 exotic weapons.
- In my case these were shields ranging between 80 and 99s so 4 typically cost about 3 1/2 gold.
- I find that so many people spend hundreds of gold on rares in the belief that because they are cheaper, they can buy more of them and because they've bought in bulk they're bound to get their precursor right? Well no, not always. While it's RNG no matter what rarity you're using, you take the bigger risk using rares because it's not just a precursor you're gambling for; It's an exotic in and of itself. An exotic return will at least (for the most part) make you back about half of what you spent while a rare might only be worth well....a rare. So basically you have two whole loot tables that the game can pick from. It's best to use exotics as this greatly narrows the list of possible outcomes and provides the best chance at the outcome being the one you want. But exotics are so expensive right? Well......
- I never allowed myself to go below 100g except when it was necessary for the sake of those last few silver to make a purchase. Obviously not everyone has 100g but it works with any number. Start with 10, never letting yourself go below 4 or 5. Start with 20 and never let yourself go below 10. The idea here is that if you fail, you can make money off your returns and then use that to build upon your existing funds so you can try again another day. Basically when you lose, you don't lose too much and you'll never risk running out of money for other things. Like basic travel. lol
- This pretty much falls in line with #2. The fact of the matter is that each try in the mystic forge is independent of the other. If you were only able to afford three tries but you have enough to try a fourth time (using that last bit of gold you said you wouldn't spend) you do it and you fail. Now you have nothing. This is why you limit yourself because in all honesty the game rewards the lucky and punishes the greedy but is a pretty nice chap to the smart.
- This really should be in the #1 slot but I have it last because it's the one thing I want people to really remember. This has the potential to be a slow process, taking several days or weeks depending both on your luck but mostly on the rate at which you acquire gold (or dungeon exotics that you can also throw in the forge). The average player will take a very long time to build a legendary. Depending on your luck, this method of acquiring your precursor could be very costly if you add up all your failed attempts. Each failure however is a blow lessened by the funds you should be saving and the money earned from your returns. It's a psychological thing designed to make you go "well shucks. But I still have 5 gold. Guess I'll try again when I have 9 or 10."
- It's also true here that if you're making the money back for one purpose (this being the purpose), then you haven't really lost anything at all. It's just "regenerating" in a sense.
599602-250px_sai_sei_super.jpg 11.69K 151 downloads
- My ultimate recommendation is that if you're on the poorer side of the population, that you make attempts at forging your precursor when it is the last thing on your list. Much money is needed elsewhere in the process of making a legendary and you'll feel like you've hit a wall in the endeavor if you feel like you have to save everything for the mystic forge and it's just not happening at that time. You'll find you'll have better patience with it when you remember that
A.You have everything else you need
B.Your precursor isn't going anywhere
- If you're striving for a legendary then I think it's best to assume that you enjoy the game. This means you can keep enjoying the game for as long as it takes you to finally forge your precursor and you'll be happy knowing that when you got it, you didn't blow 600+ gold on it.
I realize that I was very lucky in making 2 so quick. It's possible that the third won't be so quickly obtained but i'm trying all the same.
Hopefully you guys strike gold (so to speak). Just remember the mystic forge is like a beautiful woman.
Be patient with her.
Be cautious with your wallet around her.
Give her gifts consistently so she's kept happy.
Eventually, she'll put out.