#1 dannymichel

dannymichel

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

A friend of mine told me about steam today when I talked about wanting to use a browser in-game. I was wondering if using steam could slow the game down somehow. Maybe effect FPS?

#2 Schwarzseher

Schwarzseher

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Server:Drakkar Lake

Posted 26 January 2013 - 11:43 AM

Can't be 100% sure it won't affect your FPS but it shouldn't reduce it too much.
Still I'd rather play in windowed fullscreen mode and alt+tab. I for one do not like the steam browser.

#3 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

+1 for alt tabbing, either in Windowed Mode or not.  Steam's browser is slow and it takes you out of the game just as much as ALt + Tab into your broswer of choice.

#4 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostElder III, on 26 January 2013 - 03:47 PM, said:

+1 for alt tabbing, either in Windowed Mode or not.  Steam's browser is slow and it takes you out of the game just as much as ALt + Tab into your broswer of choice.

Yup,I only use steam with GW2 for the chat overlay to be able to talk to my friends who aren't on GW2, but playing other games, I have not noticed a performance difference between having it with GW2 and not having it. If I need to check something on the web, I Alt-Tab even with steam.

#5 Dervo

Dervo

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

I actually took the time to have gw2 go through steam just so that steam friends could see when I was on, tried it out and I didn't notice any increased lag or decreased fps... but the sound was about 1/10th of what it normally is.  This also happens when I'm talking to people in steam.  There's probably a setting that I'm missing to put the sound back up to normal, but I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Edited by Dervo, 26 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#6 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3173 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 26 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

There is a windows setting that when you use voip, it will lower the other sounds.

#7 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1961 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View Postdannymichel, on 26 January 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

A friend of mine told me about steam today when I talked about wanting to use a browser in-game. I was wondering if using steam could slow the game down somehow. Maybe effect FPS?

I use Steam with GW2 mainly for chat purposes, and I assure you it won't affect game performance at all. But Steam's in-game browser is a throwback to web browsers of the late 1990's. Its featureless (aside from basic tabs), slow and clunky to use, and I find it has rendering problems on some sites. But to answer your question, no, it works fine if none of the above bothers you.

Edited by typographie, 26 January 2013 - 10:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users