Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

how do i beat rangers in a 1v1?


  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jthamind

jthamind

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

i'm a d/d ele, and i seriously have no idea. all they do is constantly attack and drain my health, and even when i can get near them with RtL or Earth #3 i'm not able to do enough damage to keep up with theirs and half the time is spent healing and just trying to keep them from running away.

this is really frustrating.

#2 Donee

Donee

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:36 AM

Try to interrupt their burst with Air - 5 Updraft or Earth - 4 Eartquace  and don't let he get away using earth - 3 Magnetic grasp.

If you have the cantrip: Lightning flash, things will be easier too.

#3 Coarr

Coarr

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 15 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAS]
  • Server:Kodash

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

learn their weeknesses, i have recorded a 1vs1 with my ranger. sry that the vid is splited into parts:
( elementalist have a really hard time fighting rangers coz they have really absurd healing power and evade abilitys )

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1O21Ca0IxY"]]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvligtdgbPk"]]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxuOMj94Go"]]

#4 jthamind

jthamind

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

the rangers i've had problems with are the shortbow ones. their auto-attack is just ridiculous, and they seem to be able to stack bleeds like nothing. i changed one of my traits to Cleansing Wave, though, so i could have another cleanse (before that i only had Cleansing Fire). overall, though, i still just find it hard to keep them CC'd and overcome their auto-attack. plus the fact that (iirc) they have a knockback move and access to stability. and all the while their pet is slowly eating away at me if it gets near me.

#5 Rukioish

Rukioish

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Location:Black Citadel
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[OMNI]
  • Server:Ferguson’s Crossing

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

View Postjthamind, on 29 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

the rangers i've had problems with are the shortbow ones. their auto-attack is just ridiculous, and they seem to be able to stack bleeds like nothing. i changed one of my traits to Cleansing Wave, though, so i could have another cleanse (before that i only had Cleansing Fire). overall, though, i still just find it hard to keep them CC'd and overcome their auto-attack. plus the fact that (iirc) they have a knockback move and access to stability. and all the while their pet is slowly eating away at me if it gets near me.

Stability on ult, (Rampage as one)
knockback on longbow only, they have a backwards leap and a stun on shortbow.

#6 Sketchup84

Sketchup84

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

The most reliable way for me to down a ranger in 1vs1 is using fiery greatsword spamming skill 1 and occasionally 3 to gain some distance from the pet. Otherwise it is very hard at the moment. However I think S/d has a good chance with arc lightening as a strong single target attack

#7 natacu

natacu

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

as d/d ele there is kinda no way one can beat shortbow ranger in 1n1 atm... dispite the ranger does not know how to play actually

its kinda depressing, i just avoid fighting rangers if possible, its rly senseless and even when u get him down, the time u spend just not worth it

#8 Korra

Korra

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

I´m sorry but if you have problems killing a SB ranger in 1v1 proceed to change your build, completly.

Let me break it down for you.

RTL-> Updraft (lands the knock down, fine if not its ok)->  Burning speed -> Fire Ring-> Arcane blast -> switch to water -> Frost aura (lol perma chilled)-> Frost burst (right now the ranger cant escape) and just finish him with whatever fits the situation, just know your skills and know theirs and all will be fine.

#9 natacu

natacu

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

im playing 0/30/0/30/10 atm... and i dont mind to switch back to a standard tanky build just because rangers playing a rediculous build. im fine with every other class...
and ur "brilliant" advices ... i like to see u battle the rangers i fought lately, i wouldnt mention the issue if it were so easy to solve

#10 Korra

Korra

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

View Postnatacu, on 30 January 2013 - 03:45 PM, said:

im playing 0/30/0/30/10 atm... and i dont mind to switch back to a standard tanky build just because rangers playing a rediculous build. im fine with every other class...
and ur "brilliant" advices ... i like to see u battle the rangers i fought lately, i wouldnt mention the issue if it were so easy to solve

Implying i never fought a good ranger.

the main issue Op states is him not having control over the enemy, Soft CC is the answer ( Cripple, chill, in case you dont know what Soft CC is) Hard CC is viable but rangers have easy acces to long stabilty so it wont work if they pop Rampage as one.

The good thing about D/D is the mobilty and the high healing and the really easy access to any kind of CC (soft and hard), any build with 30 in water with wave, cantrip reg and water and elemental attunement in arcane will have 0 problems against cond spec enemies.

You dont know anything about me, you dont know if i fought good or bad rangers. I fought good rangers, it takes longer to kill but they all go down at some point.

So drop that actitude get a grip, get better and try tread and learn what other have to say. Especially when i was not even bashing against anyone.

#11 natacu

natacu

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

View PostKorra, on 30 January 2013 - 03:59 PM, said:

[...] and learn what other have to say. Especially when i was not even bashing against anyone.

who are u hm? its ur disdainful manner, great sensai. do u ever read ur own posts ? (rhetorical question here, attention)

#12 Korra

Korra

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postnatacu, on 30 January 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

who are u hm? its ur disdainful manner, great sensai. do u ever read ur own posts ? (rhetorical question here, attention)

I'm someone that knows how to counter a SB ranger.

I don't know what disdainfull means.

About the quoting, you are in a post where someoen asks for help, i try to help and you react badly. Listening to other who might know more than you is a first step to a good end.

Also, Do u ever read ur own posts is not a rethorical question.

Also, Sensei.

#13 Sketchup84

Sketchup84

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

View PostKorra, on 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

I´m sorry but if you have problems killing a SB ranger in 1v1 proceed to change your build, completly.

Let me break it down for you.

RTL-> Updraft (lands the knock down, fine if not its ok)->  Burning speed -> Fire Ring-> Arcane blast -> switch to water -> Frost aura (lol perma chilled)-> Frost burst (right now the ranger cant escape) and just finish him with whatever fits the situation, just know your skills and know theirs and all will be fine.

I am not sure how to bring this to you, but any slightly better player (that includes rangers) can easily read by now the d/d ele movements, like updraft, burning speed. And how is the "finish him with whatever fits the situation" meant? Rangers have also pretty good healing and a stupid pet, that is itself op. The easiet way to deal with a d/d ele is to stay at range, which is kinda the specialty of rangers. That's why it's indeed challenging and not at all as easy as in ur little paragraph...

#14 Korra

Korra

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

View PostSketchup84, on 30 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

I am not sure how to bring this to you, but any slightly better player (that includes rangers) can easily read by now the d/d ele movements, like updraft, burning speed. And how is the "finish him with whatever fits the situation" meant? Rangers have also pretty good healing and a stupid pet, that is itself op. The easiet way to deal with a d/d ele is to stay at range, which is kinda the specialty of rangers. That's why it's indeed challenging and not at all as easy as in ur little paragraph...

Ik now ppl are aware of the combo, that's why you gotta think it, when u RTl ppl know you will updraft, this when knowledge comes in play, i know they know ill updraft so i just wait for them to waste both dodges  then easily updraft them and execute the combo, Ele is not a single trick pony, evern with updraft combo broken it has tons of other ays to CC and deal damage/mitigate damage (that's what i meant by finish him).

D/D excells at closing gaps, being it by closing gaps with leaps or slowing the enemy, we literally can perma-chill an enemy under the duration of the fight. Forst aura normally slows the enemy for like 6 -7 sec (depends on attack speed) which is enough time to switch to air and finsih him with the Whip.

The ele combo is easy to break but a good ele will still have atleast 10 options after  the combo is broken, it's all about how skilled you are and how much do u know about the enemy, and ofc the build you use, in this case CC and cond removal are important. And having an over-average health pool.

#15 jthamind

jthamind

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 309 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

i should have originally mentioned that this was based around WvW, where my build is balanced more around PvP. my ele in sPvP has no problem with rangers (or any other class for that matter). i finally switched a couple traits around that are based more around PvP, and i'll just switch them back when i do dungeons.

#16 Korra

Korra

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Postjthamind, on 30 January 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

i should have originally mentioned that this was based around WvW, where my build is balanced more around PvP. my ele in sPvP has no problem with rangers (or any other class for that matter). i finally switched a couple traits around that are based more around PvP, and i'll just switch them back when i do dungeons.
I'm talking about WvW too.

#17 DLeague

DLeague

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

View PostKorra, on 30 January 2013 - 03:31 PM, said:

I´m sorry but if you have problems killing a SB ranger in 1v1 proceed to change your build, completly.

Let me break it down for you.

RTL-> Updraft (lands the knock down, fine if not its ok)->  Burning speed -> Fire Ring-> Arcane blast -> switch to water -> Frost aura (lol perma chilled)-> Frost burst (right now the ranger cant escape) and just finish him with whatever fits the situation, just know your skills and know theirs and all will be fine.

you have no idea what your talking about and your combo is hilarious. "frost burst" ? burning speed into fire ring then switch straight to water? what.
ranger>ele is one of the hardest counters in the game, thankfully you play WvW so ur playing against crossfire spamming noobs, que up a paid tourny and i guarantee you won't beat a single competent trap ranger 1 vs 1. He will imobilize your RTL, stability your updraft and mess up your whole opening combo.
Infact its not just ele's, trap rangers destroy pretty much every class atm. thats why theve taken necro's spots in most top tourny teams.

#18 Korra

Korra

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1415 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostDLeague, on 31 January 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

you have no idea what your talking about and your combo is hilarious. "frost burst" ? burning speed into fire ring then switch straight to water? what.
ranger>ele is one of the hardest counters in the game, thankfully you play WvW so ur playing against crossfire spamming noobs, que up a paid tourny and i guarantee you won't beat a single competent trap ranger 1 vs 1. He will imobilize your RTL, stability your updraft and mess up your whole opening combo.
Infact its not just ele's, trap rangers destroy pretty much every class atm. thats why theve taken necro's spots in most top tourny teams.

>Burning speed into fire ring

read again pls.

It actually looks like you haven't read anything but the first post i made.

"Frost Burst"? Yeah it's the 3rd skill on the MH dagger. Gives a nice 3 sec chill. which can combo very handy versus a ranged enemy.

Op asked what to do against SB ranged, i explained the basics. You didnt even read the rests of the posts yet you come claiming the combo is useless when i already commented on that on other posts.

Also Op was asking about WvW, so yeah WvW mindset.

Stop being so damn arrogant and start reading the whole posts before going nuts.

#19 Rhoellan Alts

Rhoellan Alts

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

Spelling and grammar police.  You both need to pull over.

;)

Just let it go man...

#20 Hyper Hypno Hustler

Hyper Hypno Hustler

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

View PostDLeague, on 31 January 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

you have no idea what your talking about and your combo is hilarious. "frost burst" ? burning speed into fire ring then switch straight to water? what.
ranger>ele is one of the hardest counters in the game, thankfully you play WvW so ur playing against crossfire spamming noobs, que up a paid tourny and i guarantee you won't beat a single competent trap ranger 1 vs 1. He will imobilize your RTL, stability your updraft and mess up your whole opening combo.
Infact its not just ele's, trap rangers destroy pretty much every class atm. thats why theve taken necro's spots in most top tourny teams.

Using frost aura early against a ranger makes sense.  Shortbow has a very fast attack rate, so the enemy will get a very long chill duration.  Most rangers have pitiful condition removal, so it's likely to last the full duration.  If you're using the appropriate traits, you get protection or swiftness.

I'm not a pro at spvp, but wouldn't traps only be so good because of the need to control points? You know people in spvp are going to stand on a control point.  If they don't, you still win because they aren't contesting it. You don't know where your enemy will move in an open field.  If they avoid your traps, there isn't a single thing good about it.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but the opening combo of ride the lightning and updraft is a poor way to start a fight.  First, it is predictable as hell now.  Knowledgeable foes will be prepared for it.  Any foe that doesn't know about that combo doesn't know how to fight dagger eles, so you shouldn't need a plan or combo to take them down.  Second, why people like to use a cc with a 40 second cooldown to interrupt nothing is beyond me.  Save it for their heal or something.  Ele players of all people should know that you should wait for enemies to use up some of their defensive options before really unloading damage.

View Postjthamind, on 29 January 2013 - 06:49 PM, said:

the rangers i've had problems with are the shortbow ones. their auto-attack is just ridiculous, and they seem to be able to stack bleeds like nothing. i changed one of my traits to Cleansing Wave, though, so i could have another cleanse (before that i only had Cleansing Fire). overall, though, i still just find it hard to keep them CC'd and overcome their auto-attack. plus the fact that (iirc) they have a knockback move and access to stability. and all the while their pet is slowly eating away at me if it gets near me.


They can only bleed by flanking you, which is another reason to use frost aura and just let the ranger auto-attack you.  If they're moving 66% slower they can't flank to bleed.

#21 jazzbrownie

jazzbrownie

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:26 AM

Generally when I 1v1 a ranger, I start with sneezing on it.

That's pretty much the whole encounter, actually.

#22 Vanillea

Vanillea

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Guild Tag:[EDGE]

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:28 PM

Hard match up for high toughness low HP build because most short bow rangers use condition. They have a lot of dodges and long stability . Pet has knockdown, fear or immobilize. The easiest answer is to bring Ether Renewal and dodge their trap. Cleanse as soon as you step in one of the traps or get a high stack of condition on. Bait their dodges too and save ur burst. They have a lot of dodges but not 3 in a row. If you can count the dodge and time ur burst, you should have a sizable advantage. If they use Rampages as One, just disengage. If they use Entangle, cleanse it imminently. If your cleanses are on CD, Mist Form or Flash away.

Probably one of the hardest match up for 1 vs 1 but doable. Just dont spam ur burst when they spam their evades. Chill helps. It is hard to interrupt their Healing Spring but you can force them out of it by using Churning on top of it or Updraft. They wont be spamming if you get the pressure early on. Try to land Air 2 in Dagger because Weakness reduces endurance recharge. If you use S/D just bait dodge with Arc Lighting, Frost Aura and water auto atk before committing into heavy burst :P

Edited by Vanillea, 01 February 2013 - 06:33 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users