3 replies to this topic

#1 Hirsty

Hirsty

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:12 AM

I am interested in a career as a vet in the future, and would like anyone to tell me a few GOOD websites and magazines (can be subscription) that could provide the latest information about the subject.

I think me knowing the most recent happenings would benefit me greatly when it comes to an interview with a university, so I would appreciate ANY links.

Thank you.

Edited by Hirsty, 28 January 2013 - 11:13 AM.

#2 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 26 February 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostHirsty, on 28 January 2013 - 11:12 AM, said:

-snip-

The prospects for veterinarians is going to vary a little depending on which country you plan to work. At the moment I can only really speak from the perspective of having worked as a veterinarian in Australia for over 5.5 years, but I do suspect that the prospects and challenges are somewhat similar.

I'm not entirely sure what kind of info you'd be looking for, however there are some rather solemn facts and figures about the veterinary profession at this website which an ex-colleague of mine started up:

http://ausvetnet.wor...thor/ausvetnet/

It may not be the kind of information you were hoping to read, but IMHO (and in the opinions of many other veterinarians working at the coal-face), the veterinary profession is facing a significant challenge going forward from here. We have issues with oversupply (of both veterinarians and veterinary clinics), said veterinarians that usually have significant student debt which they have issues paying off due to their surprisingly low remuneration.

Bottom line I guess is, a great investment in time and money is required to be a veterinarian, but it is debatable as to whether the profession repays in kind. The rewards from this job are intangible at best. If you love animals, consider that a love for people is of greater importance in this job. Also consider working in a job that is more financially rewarding, and volunteer your time (and/ or money) to the service of animals. A person considering to work as a veterinarian should also be open to options to medicine and dentistry.

It is regretful that I've come across your thread almost a full month after it was posted and I'm not even sure if you will receive this response, but I am bound by my conscience to inform prospective veterinary students of the potential pitfalls...essentially, to encourage them to consider other options and be careful about looking at things through rose-colored glasses.

Anyway, feel free to write me if you have any other questions.

#3 Hirsty

Hirsty

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1190 posts
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 26 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

View PostBloggi, on 26 February 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

----

Thanks for the reply!

I have had a quick read of that site, and it shed light on a few things for me.

I know a few individuals in Veterinary practice at the moment, and they have informed me of the negatives to the job, like you said, wages vs. student fees, and the low starting pay.
I found this site quite useful, as to see what it is like in the US and Aus, and probably is very similar in the UK (with regards to the over-supply).

If there are any other websites which give general, less formal and analytic, veterinary information, I would be very grateful. I have found a few since I posted back then, and they've all helped me some-what.

Anyways, Thanks again, lots of good headlines which interested me.

Edited by Hirsty, 26 February 2013 - 09:12 PM.

#4 Bloggi

Bloggi

Savant

• Members
  • 857 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CRAP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostHirsty, on 26 February 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

-snip-

Glad to be of help. At an Australian forum there is another thread that might be of interest to you: Best and Worst Aspects - veterinarians:

http://forums.whirlp...archive/1629218

My three-part post can be found towards the end of that thread and IMHO is a reasonably good summary, not so formal but then as such the info is also more subjective. It is basically a personal opinion/ anecdote.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users