• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

My keyboard keeps cutting on and off, is there a fix?

other not guild wars 2 related tech support keyboard

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zestiva

Zestiva

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[WPAK]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I know this is not guild wars 2 related  but i trust those on here. If this post needs to be moved then that is fine.

My keyboard will make a duh duh sound then cut off, it will cut on then off at random times. My mouse did it in the slot the keyboard was in, to test it, yes the mouse did cut off. i moved my keyboard to another slot it cuts off still. i put my mouse in that slot it works, so it isn't the usb right? I am hoping some tech geeks out there could tell me a fix for it. My thoughts were
1: should i do windows update, will that make a difference?
2: could it be the USB slot?

I am mainly wondering if windows update could fix it. It just started happening about 2 weeks ago but it is finally getting annoying

so any help is great

also my keyboards location is making a weird difference,,, it won't work to the left of me but does to the right O.o

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3354 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

Your last statement about location leads me to think that the keyboard's USB cable may be damaged. It may be that when you move the keyboard to the left, it flexes the cable in a way that breaks a connection. Try moving it to the right and then moving the cable around to see if it cuts out.

On the other hand, I had a problem a while ago with my keyboard and mouse cutting out. It turned out to be a problem with the USB ports on the motherboard. Luckily, it coincided with a cpu/motherboard upgrade, so replacing the motherboard fixed it.

If it turns out that the keyboard cable is broken, it's probably not worthwhile to repair/replace the cable unless you have some experience and tools to DIY, or it's a very expensive keyboard.
If it's a bad USB port, you have a few options. You can try different ports to find one that works. You can buy a USB card to add more ports. You could try using a USB-to-PS/2 adapter, if your motherboard has the round keyboard connector.

(If you have the tools to DIY you could also check to see if the USB ports on the motherboard have broken away from the motherboard (or the board is cracked) and resolder and repair.)

P.S. You could check Windows Update or the motherboard maker's website for updated USB drivers, but it's not that likely that it's a software problem.

Edited by Quaker, 28 January 2013 - 07:31 PM.

#3 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 448 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

I would assume you're using windows 7, in which case the duh duh sound is the sound Windows makes when a device is connected to it. Meaning that the power is completely cutting out to the keyboard and then returning.

It definitely sounds like something wrong with the cable and quite possibly where the cable enters the keyboard.
You could try, instead of moving the keyboard left or right, just lightly pushing the cable left and then right where it enters the keyboard. That will tell you if it's an issue with the wiring.

#4 Zestiva

Zestiva

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[WPAK]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

yes. it is the wire, ima just buy another keyboard. any recommendations on a cheap brand? :P

#5 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3354 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Logitech spans the whole range from cheap to omg! And Microsoft does as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users