• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Elio

Elio

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

Hello everyone. In the next few days I will be installing a graphics card for the first time, and I have a few questions to make sure everything goes smoothly. Currently my computer has an integrated video card: Intel® GMA 3100, I was wondering whether I need to disable this before or after I put in my new video card, or if it matters?  Also will I need to disable the card in the bios or just in the device manager? Everything I have looked up about this has given me conflicting answers. Secondly, I am putting in a new radeon card so do I need to uninstall "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver" and "NVIDIA PhysX", so there are no conflicts with the new drivers I will be installing? And lastly, do I pre-install the drivers I will need before installing my new card or use the drivers that come on the CD? Thanks in advance for the help, and I apologize for the block of text. Any other tips or suggestions for installing a graphics card would be appreciated.

Edited by Elio, 28 January 2013 - 10:52 PM.

#2 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:38 PM

Uninstall the GMA drivers prior to putting the card in.

Usually, the switch is automatic, you'll know it wasn't if you get no display. Also make sure to plug your monitor into the output for the new video card instead of the out for the integrated graphics.

PhysX can remain where it is, no need to uninstall it.

Download the latest version of the drivers from AMD's website, but install only after putting the new card in.

It's a rather easy procedure really:

Yeah, I couldn't resist linking that vid. ;) Semi jokes aside, read the manual and you're good to go.

Edited by tijo, 28 January 2013 - 11:41 PM.

#3 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:53 PM

Knowing the motherboard or PC you have would help but make sure your motherboard has a slot for a card (PCI-E x16) and your power supply will power it. Download CCC driver 13.1 here but do not install it. http://support.amd.c...iw_vista64.aspx
(this is for a 64 bit operating system you might need to click the top right where it says driver/downloads and change pages if you have a 32 bit operating system.
download .netframework 4 here and install http://www.microsoft...s.aspx?id=17851 This is required to run that version of CCC.
Delete your nvidia driver and shut down PC, unplug the power cord from the wall ,remove side cover from the PC, touch the metal case and install new card, plug monitor into new card, power up PC and install the new driver.
Most motherboards will switch to the video card.

EDIT 32bit operating system vista or newer http://support.amd.c...iw_vista32.aspx
EDIT If you are not sure about the motherboard and power supply post a link to the exact PC you have and the video card you are buying. Yoy probalby have a very low wattage powersupply so be carefull of the card you put in.
EDIT windows XP 32 bit and it does not say .netframework4 is needed.
http://support.amd.c...deonaiw_xp.aspx

Edited by Zerk2012, 29 January 2013 - 12:45 AM.

#4 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3333 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

View PostElio, on 28 January 2013 - 10:51 PM, said:

Currently my computer has an integrated video card: Intel® GMA 3100,
GMA3100 is old enough that first you need to determine if your computer has a graphics card slot and whether it's AGP or PCIe, but assuming you've done that ....

I was wondering whether I need to disable this before or after I put in my new video card, or if it matters?  Also will I need to disable the card in the bios or just in the device manager?
You need to disable it in th BIOS. Check the BIOS to see if the graphics can be set to "auto" or if it needs to be "Disabled". If its set to "Auto" then no further complications - simply install the new card.
If you need to "Disable" it, then set it to disable, save the setting, shut down the computer, install the new card and reboot.

Secondly....do I need to uninstall "Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator Driver" and "NVIDIA PhysX",
I don't think its necessary, but you could uninstall the GMA driver to be sure.

And lastly, do I pre-install the drivers I will need before installing my new card or use the drivers that come on the CD?
Install the new drivers after the new card is installed. You can use the CD, but you should also download the latest drivers from AMD. You can skip the CD and just install the downloaded ones.

#5 Elio

Elio

Pale Tree Seedling

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

Thanks for all the advice everyone! It is greatly appreciated. I checked the BIOS and under Primary Video Adapter you can select the options PCI, PCIe x16, and onboard (I think that was all of them). So I assume that since my new card is a PCIe, that before or after I have put the new card in I should go into the BIOS and switch the primary video adapter to PCIe x16, is this correct?

#6 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3333 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

Yes.
---------

0 user(s) are reading this topic