Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Staff Build Help


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 IronDragoon

IronDragoon

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 04:38 AM

Okay, before the wrath and hatred begins, let me say this: I'm not a math whiz, nor am I a GW2 master. I realize what I'm asking for isn't going to be the best at anything, and probably bad at most things, but I'm interested to see if it's possible.

I'm looking for a DPS staff build with some sort of survivability.

I know D/D and S/D are the way to go for DPS, but the reason I'm asking for this is semi-justified. From playing my Elemental to 52, I find myself defaulting to the staff in almost every situation for a couple of reasons. It seems, to me, to have great burst damage, but also gives me good flexibility via attunement swapping. I think it hits *harder* but slower. Which is fine with me.

Anyway, I've seen a few staff builds, but they were all around Earth and support/healing stuff. I just wanted to see if there was anything viable for a Staff DPS build.

#2 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:13 AM

Oh yeah, you can have a very viable staff DPS build. You just die insanely quick.
Traiting into Earth and Water you can actually deal high DPS through bleeding I believe.

#3 TGIFrisbie

TGIFrisbie

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

The question is why are you levelling with staff?  This is not to put you on the defensive, it is simply because I am curious.

For me when levelling my Ele I liked Staff cause I found it easier to kite with.  Later, at 60, I tried the scepter earth survivability build posted a page or 2 back.  I liked it quite a bit.

At 80 I went with the scepter/focus earth bleed build.  High single target dps, very good survivability.  However since then I just made up some Staff basic build to use in PUGs, not quite as survivable, not quite the single target dps, but more AoE dps and IMO slightly better support, though I intentionally didn't go for support.  It's just very basic, generic and probably not fleshed out enough.

#4 cyclopsje

cyclopsje

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:23 AM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 03 February 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

Oh yeah, you can have a very viable staff DPS build. You just die insanely quick.
Traiting into Earth and Water you can actually deal high DPS through bleeding I believe.

I play staff alot and i dont die quick. So saying that seems not correct

#5 TGIFrisbie

TGIFrisbie

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postcyclopsje, on 03 February 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I play staff alot and i dont die quick. So saying that seems not correct

It would depend on your gear and trait build.  I think the point the previous poster was making is there are better survival skills on other weapon/combos.  Some come with rather good survival skills, personally I like focus for earth when it comes to handy survival.

Edited by TGIFrisbie, 03 February 2013 - 12:25 PM.


#6 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:14 PM

View Postcyclopsje, on 03 February 2013 - 11:23 AM, said:

I play staff alot and i dont die quick. So saying that seems not correct

Do you have a DPS build? and when I say die quick, i mean if you factor out dodging, combo effects or using cantrips. As in, if you just stood there and took damage your health would go down in large chunks.

If an ele doesn't have a decent amount of points traited in either Earth of Water they have rather bad survivability. Gear can only make up for the loss of Vitality and Toughness so much.

Edited by Flaming_Foxx, 03 February 2013 - 10:15 PM.


#7 TGIFrisbie

TGIFrisbie

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

View PostFlaming_Foxx, on 03 February 2013 - 10:14 PM, said:

Do you have a DPS build? and when I say die quick, i mean if you factor out dodging, combo effects or using cantrips. As in, if you just stood there and took damage your health would go down in large chunks.

Cause we all know if you have a DPS build you should be able to just stand there and not dodge, right?  Not use utilities, just soak it up right?  I would like to see your DPS build, any weapons, any profession, that just stands there and doesn't use utilties or dodging.

When you bring a debate, bring the logic too.  You just appear to want to win here, there is 0 logic in your claim I quoted.

#8 SpelignErrir

SpelignErrir

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

An eruption build offers decent defense and damage

Gear yourself with carrion armor as soon as it becomes available

Until then, a mix of ravager's and hearty

#9 Flaming_Foxx

Flaming_Foxx

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 448 posts
  • Location:New Zealand

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:27 PM

View PostTGIFrisbie, on 03 February 2013 - 10:22 PM, said:

Cause we all know if you have a DPS build you should be able to just stand there and not dodge, right?  Not use utilities, just soak it up right?  I would like to see your DPS build, any weapons, any profession, that just stands there and doesn't use utilties or dodging.

When you bring a debate, bring the logic too.  You just appear to want to win here, there is 0 logic in your claim I quoted.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say at all.
Dodging and effective utilities are a given regardless of your build/gear/traits. If you take those dodging and utilities out of it and look at the stats then obviously someone who has Water/Earth traits can take more damage than someone who has Fire/Air traits - simply because the person with Fire/Air traits has much lower Vitality and Toughness.

I use standing still to try and communicate that the total health lost is considerably more. That's why I said "If you factor out dodging... [etc]". Obviously in game they are a very real and important factor. But they exist regardless of your traits. I wasn't suggesting that X build will allow you to stand still and cast, that would be moronic...

If everyone had the ability to constantly dodge and evade all attacks through the use of skills and utilities then builds wouldn't matter. The point is you are going to get hit, no matter how good you are, no matter how skilled and well planned you are, at some point you are going to get hit and take damage. Ele's who have nothing in the Water/Earth trait lines go down very quickly when they get hit. If you can play and never get hit then great go for a DPS build. But common sense says that at some point you're going to take damage, and when that happens if you have Earth/Water you will still be alive at the end of it.

I realise that instead of saying a DPS staff build dies quickly I should have said that they have a much lower damage tolerance.
That's all I'm saying. Earth/Water = decent damage tolerance. Which is not to say that a Staff DPS build isn't viable or isn't effective, because it is effective and you can deal a lot of damage, but common sense tells us that you can't survive for as long as someone who has traits that specifically exist to enhance survival.

Edited by Flaming_Foxx, 03 February 2013 - 11:31 PM.


#10 IronDragoon

IronDragoon

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostTGIFrisbie, on 03 February 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

The question is why are you levelling with staff?  This is not to put you on the defensive, it is simply because I am curious.

For me when levelling my Ele I liked Staff cause I found it easier to kite with.  Later, at 60, I tried the scepter earth survivability build posted a page or 2 back.  I liked it quite a bit.

At 80 I went with the scepter/focus earth bleed build.  High single target dps, very good survivability.  However since then I just made up some Staff basic build to use in PUGs, not quite as survivable, not quite the single target dps, but more AoE dps and IMO slightly better support, though I intentionally didn't go for support.  It's just very basic, generic and probably not fleshed out enough.

Mainly because I just *like* it, to be honest. I can't really be more specific than that. I've done both the D/D and S/D thing, and while they do work better, I just enjoy the staff more.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users