11 replies to this topic

#1 Mif

Mif

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 335 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 30 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

"Significantly improves latency performance in Skyrim, Boderlands 2, and Guild Wars 2"

http://support.amd.c...BetaDriver.aspx

#2 DutchAres

DutchAres

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

I have a Radeon HD6970 2048MB Club3D DDR5 and a  Asus M4A89GTD Pro.
Had problems for weeks at the beta of gw2 crashes all the time.
Trying to figure out what was the problem.. reinstalled windows/drivers a couple of times
Finally found out that if i overclock the GPU the crashes dissapear.

Now a few days ago i got an update.. i clicked yes with my sleepy head without thinking, when i started my pc.. Not an update of my video card but an update for the catalyst..
Now the problem is back.. crashes all the time (realy sucks if your server has queues for +1hour).
Overclocking isnt working any more...
Removing catalyst doesnt work...

I also had some looping sounds sometimes (even before update).. and the crashes i got with beta involved also a lot of sound sticking in a loop. Now the game just freezes up... can alt tab delete and close gw2, but restarting or starting another graphic application (like windows media player) will be realy *ed up, or crashes right away.
Read something on a forum that my onboard sound softare doesnt work well with the drivers of my graphic card.

So i am going to buy a new soundcard or a new graphic card.. but if i buy a new graphic card it will never be an AMD ever again!... Problems with drivers being not compatible for almost a year and still not fixed.

Edited by DutchAres, 30 January 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3371 posts
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]

Posted 30 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

I have an AMD card and I've never had crashing problems with GW2. And, before you go rushing off to buy an nVidia card, check out the problems some users are having with nVidia drivers. :)

Btw, did you try setting the card back to stock clocks?

#4 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ARM]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 30 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

I have used both ATI and Nvidia cards for GW2 and I have never really had any issues with either cards.
As Quaker stated, check to see if stock clocks help at all.
The looping sounds you hear are an ingame issue that (sigh) to my knowledge hasn't been resolved. A good workaround for it though is to reset the audio settings ingame to their defaults. I had this issue before and doing that seems to have rectified it.
As for your crashes, maybe your getting too much heat? what are your systems specs and thermals like?
Are you using HDMI audio from the GPU?
More information would help alot :)

On a side note I am interested to see if anyone actually gets performance increases with the new beta drivers.

#5 DutchAres

DutchAres

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

View PostQuaker, on 30 January 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

I have an AMD card and I've never had crashing problems with GW2. And, before you go rushing off to buy an nVidia card, check out the problems some users are having with nVidia drivers. :)

Btw, did you try setting the card back to stock clocks?

I tried that yes.
I removed catalyst and tried.. no changes
i installed the new beta version and tried .. no changes
i tryd the overclocking with the new beta .. no changes
I tried to turn off the onboard sound... it helped a bit (i can play longer sometimes before crash) but still it crashes

For the driver: i didnt update the driver.. i updated Catalyst then the problems started (or came back). (dont think it was the beta)

#6 DutchAres

DutchAres

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostBaldur The Bold, on 30 January 2013 - 05:31 PM, said:

I have used both ATI and Nvidia cards for GW2 and I have never really had any issues with either cards.
As Quaker stated, check to see if stock clocks help at all.
The looping sounds you hear are an ingame issue that (sigh) to my knowledge hasn't been resolved. A good workaround for it though is to reset the audio settings ingame to their defaults. I had this issue before and doing that seems to have rectified it.
As for your crashes, maybe your getting too much heat? what are your systems specs and thermals like?
Are you using HDMI audio from the GPU?
More information would help alot :)

On a side note I am interested to see if anyone actually gets performance increases with the new beta drivers.

I was using audio from my motherboard, so no hdmi
I dont think my card is overheated , because i still can do ctrl alt delete and windows works normal, except when i restart gw2 or start something else that uses more graphics (likes the media player)
I can also still move my cursor, just the screen freezes.
No messages in windows logging. So it isnt a real crash or error.

Because when i start the windows media player after a crash, the movie is all messed up , blocks etc.. I think it has something to do with memory.. 2 different kind of hardware using the same memory adress? or gw2 wrote something to a memory address used by somehing else?
Yes i did all the usual things like 100 times resinstalling, updating, memory tests etc.. when i had the problems during the betas, not gonna do it again...

Maybe i should just upgrade my pc.. buy a new motherboard or graphic card and hope the problem is solved...
What would you buy/upgrade  if money not the problem?

Edited by DutchAres, 31 January 2013 - 09:31 AM.

#7 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

After you uninstalled the "old" drivers did you use a driver sweeper or ccleaner to get rid of registry remnants? If your overclocking your video card, is the video card within reasonable settings?
If your going to upgrade I would get an i53570k and a gtx 660 ti or 670. The prices of the 3770k have dropped a bit if that is within your budget.

#8 Khlaw

Khlaw

Vanguard Scout

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 209 posts
  • Guild Tag:[PoE]
  • Server:Ehmry Bay

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

it's personal preference of course, but I switched from nVidia to AMD a while ago for the exact same reason the OP gives for wanting to switch to nVidia.  The grass isn't always greener on the other side.  FWIW my 7970 works great.

#9 Baldur The Bold

Baldur The Bold

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 443 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Agreed the 7970 is a great card as well.

#10 Defora

Defora

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Guild Tag:[DYE]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

Installed this driver today. Looks ok, good fps and allowed me to put everything on max, but if I try to record my game play with Bandicam everything totally freezes (there is separate thread about this, see here. Also print screens (bitmaps ones) seen to cause freeze in the middle of the fight.

I am rolling back to official version and wait this beta to be a bit more tested. :)

Edited by Defora, 01 February 2013 - 04:35 PM.

#11 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

I tested it today and it seemed smoother on average, but I wasn't in WvW or any really large dynamic events either.  For example, it seemed just as smooth with Supersampling enabled as it does with it off, and that's with a 20+ hit to my FPS too.  So, for me anyway, it's more than worth downloading.  This driver update won't affect your FPS, but it could eliminate stuttering, particularly with all the eye candy turned on... and be better for Crossfire setups.

#12 Constanyne

Constanyne

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:23 AM

GW2 is crashing on me at random too. Freezes up and I have to manually restart. I am on a 7970 + 7950 Crossfire-X. Stock speeds. Single screen. That's pretty overkill. I check temps and they are pretty reasonable too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users