Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[HATS]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:23 AM

Hi Guys tell me what you think.

Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660,Liquid Cooling, Windows 8 64-bit

All I care about is that it runs GW2 on better graphic settings, don't ask me what they are at right now it's embarrassing :P

#2 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3244 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

It depends a bit on the price of course. ;)
The "liquid cooling" makes me suspect it's from iBuypower, Cyberpower, or etc., which means that the price should be reasonable. It's not, of course, capable at playing GW2 at "max", but it's comfortably close.
You didn't mention the power supply - get a good power supply, not the "standard" power supply (if you can afford it).

Edited by Quaker, 31 January 2013 - 06:17 PM.

#3 Raelawell

Raelawell

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:00 AM

The power supply is 500w, and I don't see "standard" next to it....

They system is $889 from tiger direct and yeah it is iBuypower....

Thanks for responding it was a toss up between this and the HP Envy but I think it's gonna be this.

#4 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:55 PM

Do you need a monitor, mouse, keyboard etc, or do you have all of that already?  If so, what resolution is your monitor?

#5 Raelawell

Raelawell

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:34 AM

My monitor is an HP 2011 resolution is 1600x900 20", I have a mouse and keyboard but I want a new mouse like on of those with the number pad on the side :D

#6 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1803 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 03:02 PM

I would recommend actually building it on the iBuyPower website, so that you can choose your own components. And we can certainly help you. The price should be about the same.

As Quaker was getting at, you want to know you're getting a decent power supply—at least who made it. If it doesn't say anything beyond its alleged wattage, its probably garbage. Their online system builder site has several from Corsair and XFX, you'd be fine with a ~500-600 W unit from either.

#7 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:04 PM

http://www.cyberpowe...om/saved/1EUMRG

With NORUSH Coupon Code it comes to $861.85 after a couple of small rebates.  Shipping is on top of that, but will vary depending on your location.  It's a very good gaming computer and will burn through almost every game on the market at that resolution.  It also whips the one from TigerDirect... by allot.

*also has a free CM Storm Xornet mouse, which may suit your needs - if not - EBay it. :)[/font]

Edited by Elder III, 02 February 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#8 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Never get the corsair or major brand memory (you allways get) major/no name brand it's the cheapest shit they can have made for them and usally is the first thing to fail unless you get their standard power supply.

www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1EUMUD

i5 3570
Gskill memory
7870 video card
Corsair 600Watt PSU
Windows 7

Edited by Zerk2012, 02 February 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#9 Raelawell

Raelawell

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:08 PM

This is awesome thanks so much you guys! I'll keep this updated when I finally buy it (waiting on tax returns) I'm glad I posted on here

#10 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1803 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:56 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 02 February 2013 - 06:19 PM, said:

Never get the corsair or major brand memory (you allways get) major/no name brand it's the cheapest shit they can have made for them and usally is the first thing to fail unless you get their standard power supply.

I still have my last PC, a decade-old AMD 64 ibuypower system with its original, and cheap, PSU and RAM which are still in working condition. My parents use it now, but I gamed hard on it for years and didn't even treat it very well. Of course I use better hardware now that I know better.

I know this is a meaningless anecdote, but my point is that hardware failure is definitely not a "usual" outcome, even with shitty components. You still have to get unlucky. Its more a matter of the risk of not having a reliable warranty to back you up.

Edited by typographie, 03 February 2013 - 09:57 PM.

#11 Gecko

Gecko

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

I run GW2 at max on my 1280 x 1024 screen and I get close to 60 fps under normal circumstances on this system

CPU: i3-2120
GFX: HD7750
Ram: 4 GB
PSU: 450W

I have a power measurerer installed, and the computer draws around 150W when it is maxed out. I think people tend to think they need way more computing power and electrical power than they really do. Partly because they are influenced by commercials, forums and friends, partly because they can't always measure things for themselves.

IMHO, you could do with somewhat less than the proposed system.

Edit: 1280 x 1024, not 1280 x 720.

Edited by Gecko, 04 February 2013 - 04:18 PM.

#12 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:30 AM

View PostGecko, on 03 February 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

I run GW2 at max on my 1280 x 720 screen and I get close to 60 fps under normal circumstances on this system

CPU: i3-2120
GFX: HD7750
Ram: 4 GB
PSU: 450W

I have a power measurerer installed, and the computer draws around 150W when it is maxed out. I think people tend to think they need way more computing power and electrical power than they really do. Partly because they are influenced by commercials, forums and friends, partly because they can't always measure things for themselves.

IMHO, you could do with somewhat less than the proposed system.

This made me LOL by max you do mean EVERY option turned all the way up as that is maxed. People still have 720p monitors? Please post a PIC of your 60FPS in a large event or WVW, or for that mater just standing still in LA.
My PC i5 2500k @ 4.4Ghz, 6970 GPU @ 950/1425, 16GB 2133 ram, 2 SSD's 1 HDD pulls 326 Watts from the wall as per the Kill-A-Watt meter so yes I know exactly how to measure things. 326  X .86 (this is my PSU efficieny) = 280Watts actually being used the sweet spot of power supplies is 60/70 % so by what you are saying a 450 Watt PSU would be pleanty for my PC? The 326 Watts was when running this game. Running a full system stress test i'm very close to 450 Watts so using 66%or so of my power supply now I need 600 Watts.

#13 Zerk2012

Zerk2012

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:43 AM

View Posttypographie, on 03 February 2013 - 09:56 PM, said:

I still have my last PC, a decade-old AMD 64 ibuypower system with its original, and cheap, PSU and RAM which are still in working condition. My parents use it now, but I gamed hard on it for years and didn't even treat it very well. Of course I use better hardware now that I know better.

I know this is a meaningless anecdote, but my point is that hardware failure is definitely not a "usual" outcome, even with shitty components. You still have to get unlucky. Its more a matter of the risk of not having a reliable warranty to back you up.
Make up your mind this is from your first post.
As Quaker was getting at, you want to know you're getting a decent power supply—at least who made it. If it doesn't say anything beyond its alleged wattage, its probably garbage. Their online system builder site has several from Corsair and XFX, you'd be fine with a ~500-600 W unit from either.
Look on their fourms the main complaint is the PSU and memory if you get thier standard junk. I've replaced alot of them that have failed.

#14 Reason on Cooldown

Reason on Cooldown

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 04 February 2013 - 01:47 AM

I think the liquid cooling is overkill for this system.  Not that I'm an expert, but having just built a new machine late last summer.  I personally think liquid cooling should only be necessary for extreme overclocking or multiple graphics cards.  But that's just my inexpert opinion.  Should perform quite well with GW2 however.

Good luck! :D

#15 typographie

typographie

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1803 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

View PostZerk2012, on 04 February 2013 - 01:43 AM, said:

Make up your mind this is from your first post.

Thanks, I remember.

I was not suggesting that its a good decision to buy poor-quality hardware, all I said was that you still have to be unlucky for any hardware to fail, which is true and an important point to clarify for the OP once the subject came up. As you just pointed out, I did and still do strongly recommend buying good quality components—but that's not because the rest "usually" fail.

#16 Scorch Raven

Scorch Raven

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:13 PM

I would suggest the I5-2500K Series to cut down on costs, Throw in 4GB of ram(Single Stick), and either a HD7770, or a Nvidia 550. That will cut your current build down by 300-400.

if you were to build it yourself, you could cut down another 100 or so.

Use Sources like Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com and if your lucky to have a frys electronics near you, frys.com.

*Just do NOT buy returned discounted Items from Frys, these have an orange lable on them, always buy new Unopened items*

You do not need watercooling, so just stick with the default cooler, you will probably want a 650-800Watt PSU, but something named branded. not all Power Supples are equal. I have used Coolermaster PSUs for 5+ years and never had an issue with them so I would suggest that brand.

For Memory, G.Skill is awesome. its all I run at home now. 49.99 for 16Gigs (4x4GB Sticks) from a friday newegg Deal, and they have been rock solid for over a year.

My Rigs at home are as follows (yes AMD based)

TA890FXE with a AlthonII x4 640
12GB of ram (2x2G and 2x4G - G.Skill)
XFX HD5770 (3 Monitors 1600x900)
120G SSD Vertex4
3TB Sata3

Single Display GW2 gets 85FPS with Shadows turned down to Blobs, with Eyefinity 35FPS solid (5060x900)

A770DE+ With Althon II X2 250
8GB of ram (2x4G - G.Skill)
XFX HD 6670 (3 Monitor 1600x900)
250G Sata2
2TB Sata3

Single Display GW2 gets 65FPS with Shadows turned down to Blobs, with Eyefinity 28FPS solid (5060x900)

The point of the above system specs, you dont need bleeding edge tech to properly play this game. But you do need to know what works and what doesn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users