Today, Angel McCoy brings us a new blog post on the Living Story that was recently introduced in Guild Wars 2.
Hey, everybody! I’m Angel McCoy, the narrative designer assigned to guide the Living Story in Guild Wars 2. I’m here to give you a little introduction to this content, what it means to the world of Tyria, and how you can get the most fun out of it. We’ve been working hard on it for several months, and we’re super excited to share it with you! The Living Story team (and all of ArenaNet) really hopes you like it.
You can read the full article here, but I've added bullet points for quick reference:
What is the Living Story?
- Will introduce you to new heroic characters, mysterious plot twists, and dramatic moments that affect the world
- New dynamic events - some that will change Tyria
- Designed to change up what’s happening in the world and to add to the evolving story and challenge of the game
- Simultaneously transitory and permanent
- Story arcs will play out over time
- You won't necessarily know how long an arc is
- The current arc, "Flame and Frost", is teaser content that has begun to make small changes - you can participate by volunteering to help the refugees streaming down from the Shiverpeaks in both the Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau
- Characters you meet in the Living Story will periodically join up with you on adventures
- You’ll get to know heroes and villains who have been designed to add an air of mystery, mischief, and drama - some well-connected to characters you've already met
- Living Stories are different than holidays or major events because it's an evolving storyline rather than a single event/festival
- Because they are a more organic experience, some parts of a Living Story will be much more subtle than major holidays and events
- Introducing a new achievement category: Living Story Achievements that can give titles and rewards
- Gold stars on your map will guide you to where you need to go and which characters to approach
- Each city has heralds that will announce the latest news - two NPCs per city
- As mentioned earlier, this part of the Living Story is a teaser of what is to come
- This will play out for a few months