Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[OMNI]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

Hello guys :)

I'm leveling an engineer atm (lvl 39), i've been PvP'ing on it for a while but now I feel it is time I get to 80 and do some dungeons/WvW with guildies.

I dislike playing both rifle and P/P, would rather play P/S.

Would really appreciate if you could help me create a viable and useful P/S build (I belive I would enjoy the Flamethrower and Elixir Gun, I find grenades and bombs really boring in PvE).

What kind of stats should I aim for? Most people dislike condition damage, I don't really mind playing with it or a critical damage build, I just want to play P/S and feel useful to my group.

I've made a build: http://www.gw2db.com...80|21080|21080| tho I'm unsure if it is viable (ignore the equipment, just selected something without much thought)

#2 Sagramor

Sagramor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:35 PM

Here ya go (3 posts down at time of posting):
http://www.guildwars...and-elixir-gun/

Easily swap Rifle for P/S. It'll just make you more support/utility oriented. Having a Blast finisher is a nice perk too. Also you could change Hair Trigger to whatever you want.

#3 Herz

Herz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

Yea I've seen that, I don't like 20 in tools tho, I guess I'll rather keep Cleansing Formula 409. Thanks :)

#4 Sagramor

Sagramor

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:08 PM

Since you're only running 2 Elixirs, one of which you may or may not wanna blow on a condition removal, having Kit Refinement and Speedy Kits with Medkit would be better than 409. Kit refinement gives you potential 100% up time on Super Elixir. You get a condition removed then it lands then removal on projectile (P/EG #1 @20% or S #5 @100%). The Kit Refinement for FT also comes with a condition removal. Also Energy Conversion Matrix is kind of a waste without Elixir B, since you won't have very many boons up (unless applied by other players). You went with a stun break though, which is just as viable. It just takes the build a different route.

I played full Elixirs for a long time, and when trying to switch from 409 to Kit Refinement/Super Elixir for condition removal it was definitely tough.

#5 Herz

Herz

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:31 PM

thanks a lot, that explanation was pretty useful :). Yea I guess i'll play with Kit Refinement, seems pretty awesome.

#6 Calebrus

Calebrus

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Yeah, and if you run the numbers, MedKit and eGun with KitRef actually has more condition removal than the standard 409 build does.
More condition removal, more utility with med packs and stimulant, and a heal that gets a shorter cooldown as you put more points into tools.  And there are some REALLY good things in tools.  Running MedKit you'll want 15 minimum, but I prefer 20.  I'd love to be able to fit 30 tools into my build somehow....

From another thread:

View PostCalebrus, on 24 January 2013 - 03:28 AM, said:

I run a hybrid support build.
http://gw2skills.net...m0geUf9yXRKyfjB
That's basically the build I use.  Some things change as the situation requires, but one thing that NEVER changes is eGun.  It is always on my bar. Always.
Flamethrower usually occupies one of the slots that Rocket Boots and Elixir B are in.  I left both of them there to showcase them, but only one of them is usually actually on my bar.  If I'm expecting a need for a stunbreaker or another escape, RB is equipped. If I'll need the boons then eB is equipped.  For bosses, the set-up shown is usually exactly what I use.
For non-boss fights, more often than not I have RBoots there (with the FT), because it has offense (toolbelt), it has defense (stunbreaker), it has mobility (umm.... they're rocket boots!), and finally it's a blast finisher.  One of the best utility skills Engy has IMO.

The second (20 pt) major traits in both Alchemy and Tools are interchangeable based on needs.
Running around the world? Speedy Kits in Tools. (This is only when I have a long way to run and don't want to stop. For general purposes, eB and MedKit5 are enough.)
That build brings a ton of support to the table. Does your group need even more? Packaged Stimulants in Tools and Form 409 in Alchemy (with eGun, eB and eR - no flamethrower in this situation).
Headed into WvW? Sometimes I'll use Protection Injection or Self Regulating Defenses in Alchemy instead.
You get the idea.

The support that eGun brings with Kit Refinement is amazing. Perma-Super Elixir for AoE healing, on demand condition removal and a perma-light field (more condition removal with projectiles) is fantastic support.  Coupled with Supply Drop, anything from the MedKit, and eGun 1-3, there are few builds that can offer as much support.
For large groups of mobs up close, FT is my kit.  If you can handle proximity it's the best DPS in my load.  For groups of mobs at range I use my pistol because Coated Bullets is awesome. For bosses and heavy hitters I have eGun for perma-weakness.
The DPS obviously isn't what a Grenadier will put out, but it isn't terrible either, and the versatility and support offered more than makes up for it in my mind.

There are some rare occasions when I'll use a rifle instead, but only if CC is needed and no one else can handle it.  I simply don't like the rifle much, but I'll use it if I have to.  The reason I don't like the rifle doesn't actually have anything to do with the rifle itself.  I dislike the rifle because it prevents me from using my shield.
Projectile reflection, a knockback, and a blast finisher all on one skill.
A two second block, a stun or an AoE daze in a line (which could be two dazes if done properly) and a projectile finisher on the other skill.
In my opinion the Engineer's shield has one of the best sets of skills in the entire game, and it does it all on only two buttons.

Edited by Calebrus, 02 February 2013 - 12:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users