5 replies to this topic

#1 Mistah Eff

Mistah Eff

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 08:14 AM

Hello everyone!

I have a feeling a few tech experts around here will remember me. 6 months ago I came explaining my predicament, having absolutely no money to get a gaming PC, but hoping to scrap some money together.

It appears my luck is beginning to change. 2 months ago I celebrated my 14th birthday, and I am now legally able to work. An ice cream shop in town has just started hiring, and my older sister is friends with the owner.

As a minor, I have to go through a bunch of processes before I can actually start working, but I'm picking up an application tomorrow. If my sister pulls the right strings, I'll hopefully have a part-time job to make money.

That being said, I'd be saving up for a gaming PC, something I've always wanted, but has been impossible due to my family's poverty. Assuming hoping I get the job, I'd be looking to buy a prebuilt gaming rig to run GW2 at maximum settings with good framerate.

I'm not stupid enough to get duped into buying an Alienware x51, (though they do look tempting,) and I don't even have the job yet, but if things go well and I do eventually have the money, what would you suggest? I'm definitely looking for a prebuilt, and the desired budget would be between 600-900 dollars. I could spend more, it's just that it would take me more weeks of saving.

#2 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:54 PM

I thought I remembered that user name when I saw it... ;)  What I don't remember is if you had a monitor, mouse, speakers, keyboard etc. or just the case with internal components?  If you do have  a Monitor to use what resolution is it?  Those questions were probably asked 6 months ago, but my brain isn't what it used to be (translated = I'm old). lol

#3 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3243 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:38 PM

It also helps if you tell us what country you live in and therefore, what dollars and where might you spend them. :)

If it's the US, then something like this:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883227457
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883227443

You should be able to customize a similar config directly on iBuypower, Cyberpower, etc. I wouldn't go any lower than a GT-650 or HD7750 for graphics.

Edited by Quaker, 03 February 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#4 Mistah Eff

Mistah Eff

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:03 PM

I haven't used the monitor in almost a year now, but i believe it is 800x600. I'd probably be upgrading, but not immediately.

I also have speakers, a keyboard, and a mouse.

I live in the US. :)

#5 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:36 PM

800 x 600?  That would be about 15 years old, if not 20 if that's the maximum resolution it supports........  Is it a CRT monitor?  If that is the case, then you could save quite a bit by purchasing an entry level video card since that is for the most part not very much of a factor at such a low resolution.

That first one that Quaker linked to would be a good buy for GW2 at up to ~ 1440 x 900 or so resolution (on High Settings).

#6 Mistah Eff

Mistah Eff

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:10 PM

It appears to be made in the last decade. All I know is that it has a square screen and is relatively flat. I'm glad that machine will be able to run well up to that resolution. I'll keep that in mind when buying a monitor later.

Thanks for the help. I'll probably make another final thread for a definitive purchase once I get the money. I'm picking up an application today... Wish me luck! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users