Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 2 votes

Has anyone bought the Laurel gear packs yet?


  • Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 sbbee

sbbee

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:39 PM

I'm still gearing up and was wondering if the gear packs are worth it(what seems to be the chance of getting 80 exotics for example?) or am I better of buying something else?

#2 Gileas898

Gileas898

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 667 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Guild Tag:[NoVa]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:43 PM

You are most certainly better off saving for the Ascended items.

#3 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:57 PM

View PostGileas898, on 03 February 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

You are most certainly better off saving for the Ascended items.

I am quite sure it is rather much better to have full armor of exotics than 3 items of Ascended and rest Mastercraft.

Edited by Lordkrall, 03 February 2013 - 12:58 PM.


#4 Gileas898

Gileas898

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 667 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Guild Tag:[NoVa]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:19 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 03 February 2013 - 12:57 PM, said:

I am quite sure it is rather much better to have full armor of exotics than 3 items of Ascended and rest Mastercraft.

I think everyone is sure of this.

How it's relevant to what the OP is asking though, I don't think anyone is sure of.

#5 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostGileas898, on 03 February 2013 - 01:19 PM, said:

I think everyone is sure of this.

How it's relevant to what the OP is asking though, I don't think anyone is sure of.

You said he was better off saving up for the Ascended Gear, which in most cases would be incorrect, seeing as the ascended gear is very limited at the moment. Therefore it would most likely be better to focus on the gear boxes.

#6 dorin

dorin

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 83 posts
  • Server:Ruins of Surmia

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:27 PM

oh well , I can craft my gear or just buy it. for now just saving them, might buy ascended things later. I see not point wasting them on gear.

#7 Gileas898

Gileas898

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 667 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Guild Tag:[NoVa]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 03 February 2013 - 01:23 PM, said:

You said he was better off saving up for the Ascended Gear, which in most cases would be incorrect, seeing as the ascended gear is very limited at the moment. Therefore it would most likely be better to focus on the gear boxes.

Okay. Let me prove you wrong.

1) Boxes involves RNG four times. Will it be an exotic? Will I get the piece I need? Will it be level 80? Will it be the stat combination I want? The chance of getting what you actually need is abysmal.

2) Ascended amulets are only available through Laurels, whereas exotic armor is easily attainable through many parts of the game.

3) The time it takes to obtain one piece of exotic is ~1 hour, whereas the time it takes to obtain 5 Laurel is 90 hours.

It's quite sad that your need to prove me wrong takes a toll on people who are just asking questions on this forums. You should really question your motives before posting.

#8 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

    Legion Commander

  • Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

View PostGileas898, on 03 February 2013 - 01:28 PM, said:

Okay. Let me prove you wrong.

1) Boxes involves RNG four times. Will it be an exotic? Will I get the piece I need? Will it be level 80? Will it be the stat combination I want? The chance of getting what you actually need is abysmal.

2) Ascended amulets are only available through Laurels, whereas exotic armor is easily attainable through many parts of the game.

3) The time it takes to obtain one piece of exotic is ~1 hour, whereas the time it takes to obtain 5 Laurel is 90 hours.

It's quite sad that your need to prove me wrong takes a toll on people who are just asking questions on this forums. You should really question your motives before posting.

And yet with the exact same amount of time needed to get ONE Ascended gear piece you can get 12 of those boxes, which contain non-soulbound items, all useful for your profession.

Sure, you might not be able to use a few of them but seeing as they are not soulbound you can sell them and buy another piece if need be.

#9 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1178 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:39 PM

The only problem with Laurel-s is it takes helluva long time to get something from them (approximately 3 months to get rings and amulet, give or take few days). I mean really 3 months for 3 items this pace sucks !

#10 two maces

two maces

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 625 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CCTV]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 03 February 2013 - 01:54 PM

View PostAlex Dimitri, on 03 February 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

The only problem with Laurel-s is it takes helluva long time to get something from them (approximately 3 months to get rings and amulet, give or take few days). I mean really 3 months for 3 items this pace sucks !

Dont get me started on alts.

#11 Gileas898

Gileas898

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 667 posts
  • Location:Sweden
  • Guild Tag:[NoVa]
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostLordkrall, on 03 February 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

And yet with the exact same amount of time needed to get ONE Ascended gear piece you can get 12 of those boxes, which contain non-soulbound items, all useful for your profession.

Sure, you might not be able to use a few of them but seeing as they are not soulbound you can sell them and buy another piece if need be.

Selling a rare does not equal buying an exotic. Do you honestly think buying those boxes are worth it?

Be honest now.

Edited by Gileas898, 03 February 2013 - 02:03 PM.


#12 Saza

Saza

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 158 posts
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:08 PM

My fiance decided he would get some of the gear once he got to 5 laurels. He got two pieces of level 80 rares. He already has all of his exotics so it was really just him seeing what would happen. I personally would rather save for ascended gear or even mini pets before those rng boxes.

#13 this a pointed

this a pointed

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:21 PM

Got a rifle from the ranger box on my ranger. ranger cant use rifles. I'd say dont buy those crap RNG boxes.

Edited by this a pointed, 03 February 2013 - 02:22 PM.


#14 Dosearius

Dosearius

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:37 PM

Never fails...people were complaining like crazy that fractals were the only way to get any ascended gear.  They add a new way to get some of this gear and what do we get from so many people?  'Wah...it still ain't fast enough'.  I just don't get it sometimes.

#15 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 470 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

Two people in my guild bought them opened them.  Each had 2 rather useless level 78 rares which were promptly salvaged for a chance at ectos.   IIRC, one was a warrior box that had a shield & warhorn.  I don't remember the other boxes type and contents other than them being level 78, but the person seemed rather unhappy to have blown laurels on it.

#16 Calypso589

Calypso589

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

As far as I'm concerned they're just another source of ectos.

BUT,

Wait for the day someone pulls out a precursor. Game changer right there.


#17 Erighan

Erighan

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

View Postkalendraf, on 03 February 2013 - 02:38 PM, said:

Two people in my guild bought them opened them.  Each had 2 rather useless level 78 rares which were promptly salvaged for a chance at ectos.   IIRC, one was a warrior box that had a shield & warhorn.  I don't remember the other boxes type and contents other than them being level 78, but the person seemed rather unhappy to have blown laurels on it.

Tell them thanks for taking one for the team.  So lame though, lvl 78 rares...not quite as bad as getting rare weps for completing the entire game, but close.

Edited by Erighan, 03 February 2013 - 02:59 PM.


#18 Rezo

Rezo

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 40 posts
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Underworld

Posted 03 February 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostCalypso589, on 03 February 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

As far as I'm concerned they're just another source of ectos.

BUT,

Wait for the day someone pulls out a precursor. Game changer right there.
Since game designers are deciding about loot tables I don't really think you will see any precursor from those boxes.

#19 SilentPolaris

SilentPolaris

    Baby Quaggan

  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Location:Ohio
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 03 February 2013 - 03:29 PM

I bought a ranger one last night out of curiosity.  I got a rare level 78 mask and a rare level 80 pair of gloves.  Worth around 60 silver total on the TP, so I took my chances and Black Lion salvaged them for ectos.  Got 2 ectos and some leather, and sold the runes I got for about 10 silver total.

Overall, I don't think it was a complete waste of laurels, since I do no have full exotics yet, and I went into it knowing it was going to be a case of RNG.  It's honestly up to the individual as to whether or not they want to buy the boxes.  The way I see it, dailies and monthlies are rewards you get for playing the game, so I am alright with spending some laurels from time to time for a (basically free) chance at some good gear.

#20 matsif

matsif

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1516 posts
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:21 PM

I spent 1 laurel on the t6 mat bag, but after that waste of time and reading this thread I'm just saving for asscended amulets and infusions.  nothing else in that entire laurel merchant's wares is worth it to me, either due to too much rng or just not being that helpful in my mind.

#21 Gli

Gli

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1026 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Random drops with an infinitesimally small chance at items that I might be interested in? I think not.

#22 FoxBat

FoxBat

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:29 PM

Get all the karma boosts and drink the jugs you've been storing up from dailies. Then hit the orr temples for some armor. That's the cheap way to get your first exotics if you don't want to grind dungeons/cursed shore in yellows.

Edited by FoxBat, 03 February 2013 - 04:30 PM.


#23 Sam

Sam

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 543 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[DC]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 03 February 2013 - 04:34 PM

My friend bought a thief pack, and got 2 rares: one pistol and one ring.

#24 Calypso589

Calypso589

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

View PostRezo, on 03 February 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Since game designers are deciding about loot tables I don't really think you will see any precursor from those boxes.

You never know :P

I suppose the best grounds for testing would be eles or engis due to their limited weapons. Would take forever tho. Lol

#25 blazob

blazob

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

In fact the chance is bigger with warrior. Lets say they all have the same amount of armor and types of weapons.(The numbers are not real)
War:10 Armors
        60 Weapons(lets say they have chance to get 6 precusors)
Engi:10 Armors
        20 Weapons(lets say they have chance to get 2 precusors)
The chance to get precusor in warrior boxes is 6 in 70 = 8.6%
The chance to get precusor in engi boxes is 2 in 30 =6.7%

Also there are 2 GS precusors which means that the chance is even better with warriors boxes.

#26 Robsy128

Robsy128

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2916 posts
  • Location:Rata Sum
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Can you salvage the gear? If so, get them, salvage the gear, get ectos = easy profit for any gear you like.

Edited by Robsy128, 03 February 2013 - 05:53 PM.


#27 tfckmk988

tfckmk988

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 84 posts
  • Location:VA
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

bought an engineer pack at lvl 74 got 2 lvl 80 rare shields sold one silver to a guild member and the other on the TP meh results but i'd do it again and for the ppl complaining its called luck you know it is random so why bother complaining???

#28 blazob

blazob

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:01 PM

But then maybe dyes would be better option. 10 dyes is around 1g. It all depends on drop rate of exotics, but as I see most of ppl got only rares.

#29 Ingway

Ingway

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 06:25 PM

I saw someone that bought one, not really worth it unless you like counting on luck, because it can come with a rare items wich not worth it in any way. Save for a ascended amulet, since it's the only way to get one, much better.

#30 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1178 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:07 PM

View Posttwo maces, on 03 February 2013 - 01:54 PM, said:

Dont get me started on alts.

I feel you brother, i have 8 lvl 80 characters :(




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users