However, after playing WvW and experiencing the two dungeons, and comparing the Masterwork weapons I have been using to Exotics, and I have realized that I at least need to equip my toons with exotic weapons. Exotics do approximately 200 more damage than Masterwork weapons O_O
So that got me thinking about Badges of Honor, Karma, Crafting, and Mystic Forge gambling to get the exotic stuff (or rares temporarily) I need. And that got me thinking about questions I have had for awhile or thought up in response to these new needs. I apologize in advance if I am only supposed to post 1 question at a time, but many of these are inter-related and they all tie together in how they affect myself and others. Hopefully the answers here help others, maybe even get a sticky
And by all means, please link to the wiki or another post if my question has been answered already.
So here goes:
1) If you had to choose only one attribute/type for your Exotic weapons (Berserker's or Soldier's, etc), and you were not worried about matching the Exotic weapon with Exotic armor because you would not be getting any Exotic armor, what would that be? Is your answer profession specific?
For example, on a thief, assuming you would change the Masterwork grade Armor and Jewelry to suite the situation, what would your Exotic sword be? Berserker's? Soldier's? Put another way, would having a Berserker's sword be more of a loss when running another type of build than not having a Berserker's sword when running a Berserker's build?
2) How much does the secondary weapon's rarity (and therefore, damage and stats) matter? That is, when running a Sword/Pistol Thief or an Axe/Axe Warrior, how is the secondary weapon's damage calculated? Do the stats combine to increase the base attack?
3) Even though I am resistant to buying Exotic armor, I did do a comparison, and a full set of Exotic armor has:
189 more Defense
60 more Power
40 more Precision
3% more Critical Damage
than Masterwork (both sets being compared were Berserker's). Can anyone break down how important that difference is for your survivability (the armor and weapon stats vs trait bonuses and jewelry bonuses)
Mystic Forge questions:
4) Has anyone figured out what the chance of getting a higher rarity is when combing 4 armor or weapons of the same type? If you combine 4 Berserker's Masterwork Coats and get a rare coat, will that rare coat be Berserker's?
I am way too risk-averse to gamble 4 rares, but considering that I can buy Masterwork stuff for 1-2 copper over the merchant price, that might be worth the risk, if the % chance is favorable. Rares are selling for 40silver on average right now, so if it would cost 80silver to try 10 times with Masterwork stuff (10x 4 Masterwork @ 2silver each = 80silver), it would need to be roughly a 30% chance of success to be profitable (30% of 10 is 3, 3x rares at 40silver each = 1.2 gold, +40silver profit). However, I am pretty sure that if I farmed my own mithril and elder wood, and only bought the potent blood and large fangs, etc, at 1 silver each (they may be higher now, but at one point they were about that price), it should only cost 15silver to craft Rares. So it would probably still be more profitable to craft than to forge.
5) Can you put damaged or broken (or souldbound) armor in the Mystic Forge? Someone said that he was not worried about buying soulbound rares because he could always salvage or mystic forge them later.
And 2 questions that I think I know the answer to but it would be nice to confirm:
6) Fine Transmutation Stones are for level 80 armor I know, but does that include even Fine rarity (Blue) armor? Would seem like a huge waste to spend a Fine Transmutation Stone on a Blue rarity armor piece. If that is the case, then only would want sets of level 79 armor if one wanted to be able to only have to use regular transmutation stones, right?
7) Has anyone calculated the most efficient method of acquiring exotics with regards to Badges of Honor, Karma, or Crafting (which I would imagine would usually be better than buying, but would assume buying the Globs of Ectoplasm), remembering that Badges of Honor are account-wide while Karma is soulbound?
Thank you very much, and hopefully the answers can get out to more players.
Edited by Bloodreaver, 03 February 2013 - 01:33 PM.