• Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

I need your opinion! (NO DESKTOP RELATED PLS!)

laptop for gaming! mainly gw2

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 CookiesNCreamXP

CookiesNCreamXP

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

Hello guys! I just wanna know if all you experts out there can tell me which laptop should I get between these two.

http://einfo.co.nz/s...w8-p-27415.html

Or...

This Alienware M14x

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3740QM Processor (6MB Cache, up to 3.7GHz w/ Turbo Boost 2.0)
Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)
6GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB)
2 GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce®GT 650M using NVIDIA Optimus™ technology

Which is 2.6k (NZD)

Thank you!

I am actually aiming on playing at High Settings. I'll probably switch to low settings since I know no laptops (but prolly alienware) can run intense WvW On high to medium settings :3

#2 soistheman

soistheman

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 56 posts
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:38 AM

I have my desktop i7 [email protected] with R7770 (1920x1200).  Also have laptop i7 3630QM with GTX660M (1920x1080).  My desktop runs around 45 FPS at mystic forge in LA with mostly high setting.  My laptop only runs 35 FPS with low to medium setting.  In WvW the lowest I get with desktop is around 22 FPS which is still playable IMO, but with the laptop it can drop to 15 FPS and it little bit laggy.

#3 CookiesNCreamXP

CookiesNCreamXP

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:02 AM

^ Sometimes the Internet Provider is also a contributing factor. but nonetheless mostly its from the computer

#4 tijo

tijo

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3176 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RISE]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:30 AM

The Alienware will give you a better framerate, but that is because of the lower resolution of the display. Both are fairly capable of handling GW2 on medium-high settings. High everywhere is pushing it for a 650m at 1920x1080.

I will have to check how my latest laptop runs the game one of these days, but on my older one which was a tad under what you listed i got ~45fps in PvE on average with no AA, shadows to low, reflections at med and the rest set to high. Native sampling of course.

Edited by tijo, 05 February 2013 - 04:32 AM.

#5 CookiesNCreamXP

CookiesNCreamXP

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:33 AM

View Posttijo, on 05 February 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

The Alienware will give you a better framerate, but that is because of the lower resolution of the display. Both are fairly capable of handling GW2 on medium-high settings. High everywhere is pushing it for a 650m at 1920x1080.

Thank you for giving me a striaght forward response. I actually dont plan to put every setting on high. Most probably a mix of medium and high. Shadows and Reflections will most highly likely to stay out.

So it is most probable that the much cheaper one is more ideal then?

#6 Shrimps

Shrimps

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[CO]
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:43 AM

Okay so I have an HP dv6 that I got about 8 months ago while they had some coupon deal
So here are my specs so you know what exactly I'm judging it off of:
2GB 650m (same gfx card as the one you're looking at
3610qm processor
8 gb of RAM

I've played GW2 on this laptop quite a bit and in terms of graphics I left it on the default auto-detect settings because that way it won't heat up too quickly (because it's a laptop) and it looks fine imo.

Pretty much all the auto-detect settings are on medium and I'm sure it could handle high but it would be a bit laggy in big fights I think.

However I think that the HP dv6, although having good specs, isn't necessarily a gaming laptop because its fans/cooling isn't the greatest and it still gets hot relatively quickly. It's more of like a media laptop and not necessarily for hardcore gamers like ASUS or alienware makes their laptops

#7 CookiesNCreamXP

CookiesNCreamXP

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:17 AM

http://www.mightyape...vidia/20773777/

I found this Asus Laptop the graphics card I checked the benchmarks it has and it runs on Med mostly...but I want high :(... I dunno since you suggest that HP isnt suitable

#8 Elder III

Elder III

Technician

• Technicians
  • 4424 posts
  • Guild Tag:[ION]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostCookiesNCreamXP, on 05 February 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

http://www.mightyape...vidia/20773777/

I found this Asus Laptop the graphics card I checked the benchmarks it has and it runs on Med mostly...but I want high :(... I dunno since you suggest that HP isnt suitable

That's worse - it won't do well at all at 1080p with the relatively weak 630m GPU.  I suggest looking for a laptop with a Resolution of 1600 x 900 or lower.  Either that or be prepared to raise your budget.

* Is shipping from overseas out of the question for you?

#9 CookiesNCreamXP

CookiesNCreamXP

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Ok peeps! I found a laptop within and even under my 2K Budget!

Its 1.9k$ (NZD)
Found it from this website: http://www.justlapto...-bd-gtx660m-2g/

MSI GE60-288AU Gaming Notebook

* Intel 3rd Generation IVY Bridge Core i7-3630QM Processor
- Hyper-Threading as @ 8x2.40GHz, Turbo up to 3.40GHz, 6MB Cache

* 15.6" Full HD 1080P LED Backlight Widescreen
* POWERFUL NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M w/2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

* 750GB 7200Rpm HDD
* Upgrade-Able with 2nd HDD/SSD by replacing the ODD

* 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz High Speed Dual Channels

* Dimension (WxDxH) 383 x 249 x 37.7~32.3mm
* Full System weight 2.4kg w/Battery

* Blu Ray Combo Drive
* Built-in 2.1ch Speakers THX TrueStudio Pro

* Windows 8 64 Bits - With Multi-Language Support
* Special 6-Cell Battery

I went to notebookcheck and saw that the GC and Processor work at about 35-40fps on high Settings!

^ I would like some approvals if there are some but I am aiming on buying this laptop now :3!

#10 Scorch Raven

Scorch Raven

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 10:11 PM

Spec wise, your new laptop sounds amazing...overkill really.
are you ONLY going to be using the laptop for playing GW2 and other games? or are you planning on doing...oh i dunno...work?, on it as well?

Some insight, I run GW2 on my HP DV6z-6c00. Its a AMD Llano based Laptop with a quadcore CPU and a HD7690M+HD6620G Setup. I have 2 HDDs installed, a 120G SSD and a 500G Hybrid SSD (500G Spindle + 64G SSD Cache for Reads), 16Gigs of ram, 1080P LCD...ect.

Outside of WvW I can get 65FPS solid on High settings (Except Shadows, those are set to Blobs). and in WvW I get 26FPS in Zerg Fests on Low Settings.

I also use K10Stat to Overclock(really just to Lock the CPU since it has turboboost) to 2.4Ghz, and thats how I am able to sustain the FPS on this laptop, with out that utlility i get 8-12FPS in WvW and from 24-60FPS in the world(it really fluctates that badly...standing in one spot facing a crafting table).

So, you should be able to pull atleast what my Laptop can pull if not 3-4x's the FPS, except in WvW....thats just a huge ClusterF that everyone is having to deal with.

View PostCookiesNCreamXP, on 08 February 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Ok peeps! I found a laptop within and even under my 2K Budget!

Its 1.9k$ (NZD)
Found it from this website: http://www.justlapto...-bd-gtx660m-2g/

MSI GE60-288AU Gaming Notebook

* Intel 3rd Generation IVY Bridge Core i7-3630QM Processor
- Hyper-Threading as @ 8x2.40GHz, Turbo up to 3.40GHz, 6MB Cache

* 15.6" Full HD 1080P LED Backlight Widescreen
* POWERFUL NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M w/2GB GDDR5 Graphics Card

* 750GB 7200Rpm HDD
* Upgrade-Able with 2nd HDD/SSD by replacing the ODD

* 16GB DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz High Speed Dual Channels

* Dimension (WxDxH) 383 x 249 x 37.7~32.3mm
* Full System weight 2.4kg w/Battery

* Blu Ray Combo Drive
* Built-in 2.1ch Speakers THX TrueStudio Pro

* Windows 8 64 Bits - With Multi-Language Support
* Special 6-Cell Battery

I went to notebookcheck and saw that the GC and Processor work at about 35-40fps on high Settings!

^ I would like some approvals if there are some but I am aiming on buying this laptop now :3!

#11 CookiesNCreamXP

CookiesNCreamXP

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostScorch Raven, on 08 February 2013 - 10:11 PM, said:

Spec wise, your new laptop sounds amazing...overkill really.
are you ONLY going to be using the laptop for playing GW2 and other games? or are you planning on doing...oh i dunno...work?, on it as well?

Some insight, I run GW2 on my HP DV6z-6c00. Its a AMD Llano based Laptop with a quadcore CPU and a HD7690M+HD6620G Setup. I have 2 HDDs installed, a 120G SSD and a 500G Hybrid SSD (500G Spindle + 64G SSD Cache for Reads), 16Gigs of ram, 1080P LCD...ect.

Outside of WvW I can get 65FPS solid on High settings (Except Shadows, those are set to Blobs). and in WvW I get 26FPS in Zerg Fests on Low Settings.

I also use K10Stat to Overclock(really just to Lock the CPU since it has turboboost) to 2.4Ghz, and thats how I am able to sustain the FPS on this laptop, with out that utlility i get 8-12FPS in WvW and from 24-60FPS in the world(it really fluctates that badly...standing in one spot facing a crafting table).

So, you should be able to pull atleast what my Laptop can pull if not 3-4x's the FPS, except in WvW....thats just a huge ClusterF that everyone is having to deal with.

YAY Thats a relief!!!! Thank you and yes! Only Guild Wars 2 because the games I play other than this is less demanding XD!

For work, Probably school work but that's it. Microsoft Wording and all does basic stuff.

It is decided I'm getting this laptop!!!!

(PS) It's understandable that zerg fests are really laggy so I'm probably "unwillingly" going to have to switch to low settings and bare with the ugliness X_X however anything other the WvW this laptop is A-OK to run on High right :D?

Edited by CookiesNCreamXP, 08 February 2013 - 11:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users