• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#31 Turambar

Turambar

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2506 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 11:02 PM

Depends on how much required by the kickstarter: Not sure a super effort will be required for a high target. I like some of the elements and some not.

For eg I like the focus on a core player type eg RvR but less sure about classes and how to make the RvR meaningful beyond win-loss-repeat.

Overall enjoying hearing where the dev directions are being discussed.

#32 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:17 PM

It has been amusing to read the foundational principles blogs.  Mark Jacobs rambles nearly as badly as I do.

It is interesting in concept still but I am still on the fence about this one.  The concept is great, perfect even, but I ammo more convinced of the studio's ability to execute it than I was weeks ago.  

Still some of their ideas if they stick to them are interesting.   There has been a general push toward smoother more homogeneous design for the last decade or so.   That is okay and all but some purposeful rough edges inequalities etc. can also do a lot to make a game very interesting .

Of course the problem there is itnis mostly single player games that are made more interesting with such designs.  I am curious to see if they really can balance an RvR system with all different classes and races.  I am having a hard time imagining that asymmetry will serve all that well here.

#33 Jakeman

Jakeman

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 April 2013 - 06:14 PM

http://www.kickstart...melot-unchained

#34 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

Well I have read up on all their stuff and I am just not sure about this one now.  The concept I adore.  DAoC was the best open PvP ever.

But I do not like rock scissors paper balance asymmetric class availability between factions time sinks and using mass AE CC as the way to decide battles.

#35 kidawk

kidawk

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 07:19 PM

The thing that I dislike about the game already is a bit of how disconnected Mark Jacobs still is from what made DAoC a great game. He is wanting to implement all these hippy ideas (similar to GW 2) that most players don't really give a crap about. Sandbox RvR? Yay, you burned my house down! Good for you. Crafting for the good of the realm, well isn't that the way it supposed to have been?...

I believe he also stated earlier there would be no Realm Ability System. I could have sworn that he was against AoE CC in his initial blog posts but now is easing up to it. He realizes that for one 'one of the best things that made DAoC good was that 8 players could fight the zerg) and two 'you have to balance the zerg in some way'.

This game is really wait and see. Can't say I care that there is no PvE. I wonder what the classes will be like.

Edited by kidawk, 03 April 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#36 Kamatsu

Kamatsu

G'day Mate

• Moderators
  • 1466 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:22 AM

Lets keep to the topic please. This thread is to discuss Camelot Unchained.

And added kickstarter link to first post.

Edited by Kamatsu, 05 April 2013 - 01:23 AM.

Have a moderation related issue? Send me a PM

#37 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

Golem Rider

• Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 11 April 2013 - 05:41 PM

It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#38 Jakeman

Jakeman

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 11:05 PM

http://www.kickstart...unchained/posts update #22

#39 JaironKalach

JaironKalach

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 12:37 PM

Hello folks.

I'll save you the trouble of looking at my post history by saying that I did indeed create this account just to post this message. I am a GW2 player, however, and I know how unsatisfied a significant portion of the WvWvW crowd has been, so I thought I should post a little and give you my perspective.

I'm not going to tell you that this is the game that is going to make you happy. There are plenty of resources to tell you about the game. They are well summarized here: http://camelotunchai...ew - Start here. But if you look at that and think this isn't the game for you, then it isn't the game for you.

I'm not going to argue with you that this game is a success. My personal belief is that it will be. However, you and I are both looking at incomplete data and drawing conclusions based on what we think are likelihoods. I have my own reservations about B2P. I'm well aware that funding a kickstarter is an investment and the game could go belly up within 6 months. I'm aware that developers are often bound to make compromises in their vision, that leave the game less than what it was intended to be in inception. I have my reasons for believing that this game will not fall prey to any of these traps, but they are based off of my experience and perspective...

So, with that long-winded preamble, let me get to my point. (If you know me from the official forums, you know this is, sadly, just how I roll.) Mark Jacobs (MJ) has been asked a few times what he would do if the kickstarter didn't fund. Paraphrasing his responses, he has said that if the funding numbers and the number of backers remain as low as they are today, he will decide that the idea wasn't good enough to sell, and he will move on. He has also stated that this kickstarter serves two purposes: 1) to secure buy-in and funding from a core group of players, 2) to get a better read on the size of the market who will play a niche RvR/Sandbox game. Further, he has said  that if the game doesn't quite fund, but the number of backers is high enough, he will seriously consider relaunching the game with more investment and more money.

He has also said that as soon as the game funds, they will start getting the backers forums built. These forums are intended for him to bounce ideas off of the community, as well as hear the communities concerns. It is a common complaint among MMO players that the devs just don't listen, even during Alpha and Beta. His stated goal is to listen and respond as early as possible.

Okay, so here is my request:

There are a lot of folks who are "on the fence," or in "wait and see" mode. There are others who are just not comfortable with throwing money at something that could end up vaporware. There's nothing wrong with this. But I ask that you let yourself be counted. I ask you to back the kickstarter for $1. There is no tier for a $1 donation, and you will not be rewarded directly for doing this. But you are helping to give an insurance policy. If enough of the "on the fence" people go ahead and back for $1, the number of backers will hit high enough that we are likely to get a relaunch should this kickstarter fail. Then you'll get your better chance to wait and see, when the next KS hits with a better prototype and more definition around the game.

If the money doesn't mean anything, or you want a little reward for your effort, or you want to see the sausage being made, should the kickstarter fund, you can make a $5 pledge and you'll get a thank you letter and read only access to the backer forums.

If you really like the idea, but you think there are just a few ideas where MJ is getting it wrong, then the $25 tier might be for you. $25 is the minimum pledge to be allowed to argue with MJ on the backers forums, but it does come with a free digital copy of the game, so there's a good chance you'll get your investments worth.

There are other tiers, but they're not really relevant to what I'm asking from you folks.
The link to the kickstarter (for convenience) is here: http://www.kickstart...melot-unchained
At the bottom of that page is an "Ask a Question" button. If you have a question for MJ, feel free to use it to ask directly. A lot of us already have, and he usually responds within a day or 2.

Thanks for your time,

Jairon Kalach, a CU Backer

#40 neoryudo

neoryudo

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:17 PM

i have added my sum to the kickstarter on the 12th and i gotta say i absolutely love these people at CSE, they are the most down to earth open people i have ever met, you have:

Mark you is a beast i don't think this guy ever sleep's if he is not doing interviews or pod pasts when is on the Comment#s section  replying to as much as he can and replying to every one of his personal messages.

on the Other end you have the man with the hat Andrew, the guy behiind all the coding and engin/ networking stuff that has been going on, during a live stream the other day we was all invited to a little game they made to test out the networking code called CSE Smack Hammer, doesn't sound like much it was a map with a day and night cycle a few hills and we was going around smacking the hell out of each ohter with hammers that shoot duck's but it was a lot of run to do

Then you got Michelle who is an amazing artist though she wouldn't admit it, she used to like and work in Korea as a teacher until mark saw some of her work and contacted her, she agreed to come work for CSE, mark paid for her flights etc and now she is back in the US at CSE and by the sound of it is really enjoying her job there,

yesterday she did a live stream of her working on a Viking "City" what i thought was going to be a boring live stream turned out to be one of the best ones they have done, it was well over 2 hours long Michelle was talking and answering questions during the whole thing, she has a really great personality and doesn't hold back on anything whether that be swearing  sexual innuendo's or anything else for that matter. she never finished the work in the stream so we have yet to see a finished peice but i did grab a screen shot though its blurry, you'll still get to see the stuff she was working on

Posted Image

David Wright ( Young Hero, soon to be Warrior Forever)

P.S honestly if anyone is on the Fence then just check them $5, or even $25 for 25 you get the game and some other goodies, that way if it funds you get the game and Beta testing, and if you wanted to you could increase the amount after the kickstarter has finished. in all honestly what is $5 or even $25 dollars nowadays, i dun no about in the US but in the UK new games cost £40/50 that is like $60/75 dollars

here i will even give you the link again so you don't have to go finding it

Edited by neoryudo, 22 April 2013 - 03:27 PM.

#41 LadyPvP

LadyPvP

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:30 PM

Alright I'm in, I'm sold, I have my pledge in now for the $110 tier. I hope there's enough room in the safe lands for housing, because I really don't want my stuff burned down every single day that would get old fast.

#42 neoryudo

neoryudo

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostLadyPvP, on 22 April 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

Alright I'm in, I'm sold, I have my pledge in now for the $110 tier. I hope there's enough room in the safe lands for housing, because I really don't want my stuff burned down every single day that would get old fast.

wooo! that's what i am on, it is a really nice tear for the amount of money Alpha Access, Two Extra beta invites, etc etc, come join in the fun on the comment's section it is practically a chat room xD

P.S there is another Update on the Kickstarter:

Building a world Part 1
http://www.kickstart...unchained/posts

Edited by neoryudo, 22 April 2013 - 01:40 PM.

#43 JaironKalach

JaironKalach

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostLadyPvP, on 22 April 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I wouldn't worry about it, too much... The folks who are putting in for the $1000 tier have expressed a lot of worry on that subject. The explanation has been that even if you place your house immediately outside of the "safe" area, it should be very difficult to get to because the world is intended to be huge and time-consuming to travel.

#44 Bohya

Bohya

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

>Subscription fee
>2012+

Do they honestly expect people to pay a subscription fee to a GAME anymore? You would have thought they'd be more up to date with the market. The fact that they need a subscription fee to make money off of consumers just says that they aren't confident that their game will sell. Just goes to show how bad it will be anyway. Thanks for bringing this game to light now. It will mean that I won't have to waste my time looking into it in the future.

#45 Lordkrall

Lordkrall

Legion Commander

• Members
  • 5370 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:16 PM

View PostBohya, on 22 April 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

>Subscription fee
>2012+

Do they honestly expect people to pay a subscription fee to a GAME anymore? You would have thought they'd be more up to date with the market. The fact that they need a subscription fee to make money off of consumers just says that they aren't confident that their game will sell. Just goes to show how bad it will be anyway. Thanks for bringing this game to light now. It will mean that I won't have to waste my time looking into it in the future.

He have also been extremely clear that if he don't earn enough money of the game he will simply shut it down. He will (unless he lies, which wouldn't be that surprising) never convert to a F2P or B2P model since in is eyes the F2P model is dying and so in B2P.

#46 neoryudo

neoryudo

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 441 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

>Subscription fee
>2012+

lmfao i am the other side of the fence all these free to play games are complete dog crap, FFXIV ARR will also have a sub fee, Archeage will also have a sub fee, Blade and Soul will have a sub fee also, but because this "new generation" of gamers want everything for free doesn't mean people do not want to support their developers through mean so f a sub fee, i mean seriously a sub fee of $10 a month i spend more than that on toilet roll in in 2 weeks heck maybe even one week, the game will not have a cash shop Sub fee> Cash shop any day of the week

the Free to play/BTP market is getting swamped right now by hundreds of MMO's coming out /going free to play every week.. soon really soon. that Market is going to be overcrowded, just like anymarket then when things get to full they switch developers will start bringing out Pay to play games again.

if people are dedicated to a game they will pay a bub to it, heck i would prefer to pay a sub to GW2 over that stinking cash shop we have now

Mod Edit: Lets not resort to namecalling or anything like that. If it happens again, expect a harsher response.

Edited by Kamatsu, 22 April 2013 - 10:13 PM.
removed dnc commentary

#47 Bohya

Bohya

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postneoryudo, on 22 April 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

this "new generation" of gamers want everything for free

No, people just don't want to pay for something they already own. Isn't just buying the product once enough? Why should you have to be tied down to paying even more money just so your initial purchase doesn't come as a waste?

Edited by Kamatsu, 22 April 2013 - 10:13 PM.
removed reply to deleted text

#48 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:23 PM

The fact that they need a subscription fee to make money off of consumers just says that they aren't confident that their game will sell.

Why would anyone try to sell boxes of games to be played for months/years when so many can make $60 on something that lasts a week?

Whether sub or cash shop, no-one gets in the MMO business to merely move units.

Edited by FoxBat, 22 April 2013 - 11:24 PM.

#49 Bohya

Bohya

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:14 PM

View PostFoxBat, on 22 April 2013 - 11:23 PM, said:

Why would anyone try to sell boxes of games to be played for months/years when so many can make $60 on something that lasts a week?

A subscription model is more unreliable in the long run. It also deterrs most of the potential playerbase. I'm assuming that with the lots of B2P models out now, most companies are content with a high number of box sales (with an optional cash shop) rather than a low number of box sales and a dwindling subcription base. The myth that MMOs need a high income to maintain servers has been blown wide open also. In the end, it also benefits the players. Would YOU want to pay * knows how much a month to continue playing something that you already own?

#50 FoxBat

FoxBat

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 3973 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostBohya, on 23 April 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

i'm assuming that with the lots of B2P models out now

What B2P model? For MMOs you're basically talking about Guild Wars (2) and Secret World (after it failed.). Everyone else is either sub (with or without box) or else F2P free download plus cash shop. The latter happens because boxes very much get in the way for picking up new players down the line, as you have trouble keeping most boxes on store shelves years on if your name isn't Blizzard.

"Optional" cash shop is not the same as unprofitable. Viable F2P games rake in far more than $60 from enough users to support all the free moochers. There's a reason even GW2 keeps pushing new cash shop junk every month.

Edited by FoxBat, 23 April 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#51 JaironKalach

JaironKalach

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Last post by me on this topic. :-) Things are looking pretty good for the KS. We're following a curve where if we just keep adding folks at this rate, we'll fund for sure. In the end, this game is going to offer a number of things:

A strong world building experience. Both building structures as well as affecting terrain. The kingdoms, beyond the initial cities, will all be built by the players.

Strong RvR... Designed by the guy who knows it best, and is learning from his mistakes. No PvE progression to cause balance issues. RvR is the game and the game will be built to make RvR an amazing experience.

Rock, Paper, Scissors balance with solo, 8-man, and zerg all kept in mind. This will not be your casual players zerg-RvR.

A dev with a goal who is inviting the community to tell him where he's wrong and keep him honest during the dev cycle.

#52 Jakeman

Jakeman

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:24 PM

we are closeing in on our 2million goal currently at 1million 911k 21hours to go

#53 Jakeman

Jakeman

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:49 PM

1million 978k Q_Q

#54 Jakeman

Jakeman

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 08:10 PM

wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we passed the 2million goal

#55 Tyrantscreed

Tyrantscreed

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 450 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SG]
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

Funded ! Woot! I upped my pledge even more - lets go stretch goalss!

EDIT:

Livestream by CSE (will be up till the morning or until they pass out ha)

http://www.twitch.tv/citystategames

Edited by Tyrantscreed, 01 May 2013 - 10:58 PM.

#56 Alot

Alot

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1919 posts
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:11 PM

It's good to hear CU has been funded. Now, let's hope some of the more fanatic funders take a chill pill.

#57 Jakeman

Jakeman

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 22 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

http://www.kickstart...ed/posts/515135 :o Dvergar concept art

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users